NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Maybe I've not seen him on a good day, but I've yet to spot what's special about McCarthy. A very good tackler, and a decent enough anchor man in midfield, but no more than that.

Shaun Maloney was the Wigan player that caught the eye. I know he's 30, but we could get a good couple of seasons out of him whilst the youngsters develop.

I'm convinced you're getting him confused with McArthur

Guest bimpy474

Maybe I've not seen him on a good day, but I've yet to spot what's special about McCarthy. A very good tackler, and a decent enough anchor man in midfield, but no more than that.

Shaun Maloney was the Wigan player that caught the eye. I know he's 30, but we could get a good couple of seasons out of him whilst the youngsters develop.

I'm convinced you're getting him confused with McArthur

This happens quite a lot.

I think McCarthy is decent enough at what he does, but that article said Wigan were looking for £20m. For that sort of money, you'd want a player with a better touch on the ball than McCarthy has got IMO. His passing looks quite conservative as well.

I'd prefer him to Tiote though.

£20m is ridiculous but I have sympathy with them trying to hold onto him, if Cabaye goes (think it'll be to man u or arsenal if anyone, he'd have gone to psg already if that was on) then we could do worse than to reinvest in him, but we'll never spend that much on him.

I think McCarthy is decent enough at what he does, but that article said Wigan were looking for £20m. For that sort of money, you'd want a player with a better touch on the ball than McCarthy has got IMO. His passing looks quite conservative as well.

If Wigan were quoting £20m, they'd probably take a quarter of that. Let's be realistic, it's not like they are in a strong position to bargain after getting relegated.

Guest pont-toon

Sissoko's mate Capoue is available at half that price - and he has the added bonus of being french !!!

He'd probably cost about 12million, you all know what Dave Whelan is like by now, won't let him go on the cheap and he doesn't seem the type of player to force through a move when he's still so young, he's had far better offers than Wigan in the past but stayed there because he knew he'd play didn't he? Good attitude.

He'd probably cost about 12million, you all know what Dave Whelan is like by now, won't let him go on the cheap and he doesn't seem the type of player to force through a move when he's still so young, he's had far better offers than Wigan in the past but stayed there because he knew he'd play didn't he? Good attitude.

It must have been Dave Whelan's pals who are circulating the story then, since there's not a chance in hell we'll pay anything like that for a player of his abilities.

McCarthy would be a brilliant signing if we could get him for £10-15 million IMO. Getting better and better, would improve with better players around him and is future captain material. Would tick the boxes on sell on value for Fat Ashley too.

No hope for Anita man, damn. Days numbered.

McCarthy's much better, man. No need to be negative.

Scottish doesn't count as home grown now? Ridiculous.

It's not based on nationality its based on how long you spend at a club before your 21st Birthday. This doesn't count for clubs from a different association (aka jockland)

Magnus Wolff Eikrem is a funny example of how retarded that rule can be. He's Norwegian, went to Man Utd when hewas 16 and upon his return to Norwegian football at 20 he couln't be counted as home grown as he'd not played three years in Norway between 16 and 21 regardless of having spent 16 years in Norway and being a citizen. :lol:

I think McCarthy has a fantastic touch and his passing is one of his strong points, admittedly not as good as Cabaye's passing BUT he can pass players which is something Cabaye struggles with

A good player who would be a top signing

If we get these two in, I'd like one more winger. And then we're good to go, like for real.

I'd rather we signed a physical CB tbh. We would have plenty of players capable of playing the winger role.

If we get these two in, I'd like one more winger. And then we're good to go, like for real.

I'd rather we signed a physical CB tbh. We would have plenty of players capable of playing the winger role.

Like who? Plenty of players that are supposed to be able to play there. Gouffran and Remy (if we get him) can play wide left if its 4-3-3. Not so much if its traditional 4-4-2 firing crosses in.

Marv maybe? Obertan, Sameobi, Jonas? Certainly don't want the latter three playing there unless they have completely become better players overnight.

Another CB would be good though to get shot of Willo.