Muhammad Ali - Happy 70th

huss9

My heart ceased its rhythm for half a second when I saw this thread title. I know your intentions were great, but you are going to scare many people here :lol:

oops - how do u change the thread title?

:lol: Thankfully I knew it was his birthday already, otherwise I'd've been totally sadface.

My cousin has met him, therefore I'm only one degree of separation from Muhammad Ali. Not quite as cool as actually meeting him.

Renewed his wedding vows in South Shields and had an audience in Eldon Square

:lol:

I heard Lionel Messi was coming to the silverlink

One amazing character who took on the world on his own terms and won. Not a common happening.

It's sad to see him in such poor health though. He was so wrapped up in his persona as the Greatest that he carried on boxing too long.

Saying his illness is a result of carrying on too too long is a massive oversimplification, if not completely incorrect. Fact is, he had his last fight before the age of 40 - not exactly 'old' for a heavyweight - and only 4 fights beyond the age of 35.

The problem with Ali, is that he fought arguably the 3 most devastating punchers of all time in Shavers, Foreman and Frazier - and took a lot of punches in those fights, especially to the side of the head. His tactics against Foreman probably did the most damage.

It is sad to see him as he is now, considering the confident, quick-witted, athletic man he was in his prime. He is barely recognisable nowadays. I suppose as Ronaldo says that's just the risk he took in fights such as the Rumble in the Jungle where he was pretty much welcoming blows to the side of his head to tire George Foreman out. It obviously worked but no doubt must have done a lot of damage to his brain. At least he's still with us I suppose.

not many people throughout history can impact a sport, and indeed the world, in the way Ali did during his time

people throw legend around for all kinds of bland unineteresting cunts these days, when they do i find it almost an insult to the likes of Ali who is truly worthy of such a name