Is racist abuse still an issue in North East football?

Big Geordie

Guest Craig-NUFC

Never went away. Also see it as a problem with society in general, not football fans. Racism usually occurs during times of economic hardship and you'll find the 'they took our jobs' brigade to be out in force. On top of that, when the government decide to go off and bomb someone, the public are fed bollocks to make them fearful and this fear turns in to hate, hence there has been a growing hatred toward Islam since 2001.

Social media has also given a voice to the idiots. Twitter is riddled with racist remarks and I've seen a fair share on facebook too (though I delete anyone stupid enough to be racist, so I don't actually know if people are still racist over facebook).

I've never been entirely comfortable with the "watches on the beach/Armani in the bogs" songs. They're borderline for me.

On a more amusing note at one of our games was during our promotion season when a two or three of the charvas who got into Level 7 started singing the famous Adebayor song, shoehorning the name Kenwyne Jones into it. After a couple of choruses from these numpties there was a lull during which some old fella a few rows in front turned around and shouted "He's from Trinidad, you stupid cunts! They don't have elephants over there!" Didn't hear a peep from the lads for the rest of the game :lol:

I do think it is wrong however that superficial abuse within a domain where it is socially acceptable, is punishable by prosecution... Time for true equality. What makes the vile comments of Bellamy any better than using someones skin color as a slight upon their person? Not that i condone racism, far from it. But what makes it assume an unparalleled level of severity over any other form of superficial abuse?

I've never been entirely comfortable with the "watches on the beach/Armani in the bogs" songs. They're borderline for me.

On a more amusing note at one of our games was during our promotion season when a two or three of the charvas who got into Level 7 started singing the famous Adebayor song, shoehorning the name Kenwyne Jones into it. After a couple of choruses from these numpties there was a lull during which some old fella a few rows in front turned around and shouted "He's from Trinidad, you stupid cunts! They don't have elephants over there!" Didn't hear a peep from the lads for the rest of the game :lol:

Admittedly I do find them pretty amusing when sung in jest (Adebayor song aswel), but they have to be cut out if we're to cut down racism as it hardly sends a decent message out to kids who will no doubt pick it up at the match/in the pub and take it back to school etc.

I do think it is wrong however that superficial abuse within a domain where it is socially acceptable, is punishable by prosecution... Time for true equality. What makes the vile comments of Bellamy any better than using someones skin color as a slight upon their person? Not that i condone racism, far from it. But what makes it assume an unparalleled level of severity over any other form of superficial abuse?

As far as I'm aware vast swathes of people weren't subjugated and abused for hundreds of years because they're Craig Bellamy.

As far as I'm aware vast swathes of people weren't subjugated and abused for hundreds of years because they're Craig Bellamy.

I see your point, but surely we have gotten to a stage where the past, whilst being horrific, is no longer relevant.

I see your point, but surely we have gotten to a stage where the past, whilst being horrific, is no longer relevant.

As long as racism exists I believe it's still relevant and it's not that long in the past. Christ, it's not even 20 years ago that apartheid was still around. Just look at the fuss in America over a black president. We've got the EDL and BNP. It's still an issue.

Guest andyburn

Un-football related, but a distant BNP sympathizing acquaintance of mine fancied the pants of a lass over the road.  "Persian" he used to say, "F******g lush".  We pointed out that Iran was the modern name of the country.  He's since gone off her.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Un-football related, but a distant BNP sympathizing acquaintance of mine fancied the pants of a lass over the road.  "Persian" he used to say, "F******g lush".  We pointed out that Iran was the modern name of the country.  He's since gone off her.

I once knew a lad who was BNP supporter, general racist and all round t*** who had a black girlfriend who he would refer to as 'the n*gger.'

Pretty much never hear any racist abuse in the SDA but do still hear the odd "town full of pakis"  stuff at some away games.

Football has done a good job of removing/concealing racism tbh. Watching matches at the pub, every other word I hear is some form of racist abuse.

Pretty much never hear any racist abuse in the SDA but do still hear the odd "town full of pakis"  stuff at some away games.

Football has done a good job of removing/concealing racism tbh. Watching matches at the pub, every other word I hear is some form of racist abuse.

in the whaaa??

:tiote:

Racism still exists in football.

It'd be somewhat arrogant of a white person (ie me and most of us, I suspect) to suggest otherwise, as we'd not be the ones on the end of it.

Having said that, if you think back to the 80s, the change is incredible. I see a lot more asian and black supporters at Villa matches (particularly more asians) than in times gone by.

Things are improving, but if you take your eye off the ball, you can get a reminder of what you're trying to eradicate (which is what made Liverpool's recent actions so disappointing and reckless)

As it became made increasingly socially unacceptable I suppose a few woke up to the fact it was rather silly. The rest, unfortunately, just learnt to keep their own council the majority of the time.

I do believe though that it is lessening as racism is something that is learnt, and the less people that are vocal about it the less opportunity for others to 'learn'.

Racism is not confined to white people. Everywhere I've been in the world I've witnessed racism, in some places more than others.

Guest Roger Kint

Still a big problem at Newcastle matches.

You always take it too far :lol:

Big problem is an exaggeration.

To be fair its only away games he goes to and the kids who turn out are quite often a load of wankers. Heard a fair few lads who witnessed shocking behavoir recently at Forest, Birmingham, Blackburn and a few more.

Still a big problem at Newcastle matches.

You always take it too far :lol:

Big problem is an exaggeration.

To be fair its only away games he goes to and the kids who turn out are quite often a load of wankers. Heard a fair few lads who witnessed shocking behavoir recently at Forest, Birmingham, Blackburn and a few more.

Without a doubt it is much worse at away games . Its not a big problem though.

I remember having to sit in the away end at birmingham in 2003/04? Stern John was getting all sorts of racist abuse and then went and scored the equaliser for them and the same people who were abusing him were then celebrating.

Yes it is.

I've just got season tickets in the East Stand and there's a couple of guys behind me (about 3 or 4 rows back) who were f***ing disgraceful the way they were talking about Wright-Phillips at the weekend.

May report them if they do it again, and I can do it discreetly.

Do it, there's no place for it, never has been and never will be. Totally unacceptable and is normally the last refuge of bitter people. I'd love it if we managed to get it out of football and society or at least could reduce it