Is racist abuse still an issue in North East football?

Big Geordie

I've never seen/heard any racism at SJP. Still an issue at away games as Roger Kint pointed out...

Remember a nasty incident at Watford away five or so years ago, it's getting better though. The twats in their EDL polo shirts don't help.

Edit: Yes, let's not go that route, ey. - BlueStar

Racism has assumed a strange role in our society. Whilst a more severe tact was required to tackle it, due to the severity of the abuse, both physical and mental. We have now arrived a place where racism is apparently worse than xenophobia.

And then racists start to call other people "racists".

Varying levels of political correctness have blurred the lines too and probably pushed some people towards what would be considered racist.

I would say racism is more prevalent and indeed vicious in many other parts of the world than it is in the UK.

On a global scale we're not bad, but at the same time shouldn't be complacent.

Multi cultural society has improved Britain and the west end of Newcastle is a great example.

Anyway this thread is getting a lot broader than it was probably intended originally, but I'm happy to say again I haven't heard any racist abuse inside SJP for years if not decades.

Im not entirely sure what it has achieved bar generate social tension. I would hardly call it a success.

Just to make a point, mocking Allah has nothing to do with racism.  its a dangerous pastime but its not racist.  Muslims aint a race, Islam is a religion (and worthy of mockery if you are brave enough)

Just to make a point, mocking Allah has nothing to do with racism.  its a dangerous pastime but its not racist.  Muslims aint a race, Islam is a religion (and worthy of mockery if you are brave enough)

I understand the point you're making but really it's entirely moot. I was using it as an example of the type of shite the stupid fuckers get up to, not using it as a specific example of racist language.

Jeering about Islam at middle eastern players is racist however, as that's an unfair presumption of someone's beliefs based on the colour of their skin. Making fun of someone for being a bit religious is a little unfair, making fun of crazy religious people indeed isn't racist.

Jeering about Islam at middle eastern players is racist however, as that's an unfair presumption of someone's beliefs based on the colour of their skin. Making fun of someone for being a bit religious is a little unfair, making fun of crazy religious people indeed isn't racist.

:thup:

That's just a technicality though isn't it? Just about 100% of the anti-muslim brigade in the EDL are racist although they'll cover it up with that same legal banter bullshit no doubt.

Any organised religion is open to mockery.

edit: at least, the ones I know about.

Guest Roger Kint

I've never seen/heard any racism at SJP. Still an issue at away games as Roger Kunt pointed out...

Remember a nasty incident at Watford away five or so years ago, it's getting better though. The twats in their EDL polo shirts don't help.

As usual entirely unoriginal from you. Given how another member got a ban for calling you that i assume this now gives everyone free reign to abuse you too?  :rolleyes:

I've never seen/heard any racism at SJP. Still an issue at away games as Roger Kunt pointed out...

As usual entirely unoriginal from you. Given how another member got a ban for calling you that i assume this now gives everyone free reign to abuse you too?  :rolleyes:

Someone got a ban for calling Kolocho a kunt ??  How awful.

I hope the various media reporting of yesterday's racist twitter rants, which probably prompted the OP, don't leave anyone even vaguely imagining this has anything to do with Newcastle fans.

It must be made crystal clear that the vile remarks were made by a Sunderland fan from Sunderland.

Guest Geordiesned

Peter Copeland charged.

DETECTIVES have charged a man in connection with an alleged racist slur on Twitter aimed at Newcastle United.

Outraged fans complained to Northumbria Police after a user on the social networking site was said to have posted the comments on Tuesday.

Officers said they have now charged a man in connection with the incident.

A Northumbria Police spokeswoman said: “A 29-year-old man has been charged with two offences in connection with the Malicious Communications Act.

“He is Peter Copeland from West Rainton in Durham.  He is due to appear before Sunderland Magistrates Court on Monday, February 6.

"This follows a report of racist comments made on Twitter directed towards Newcastle United."[\quote]

Glad people reported him.  Greater Manchester police have a form on their website you can just fill in to direct them to such stuff, but Northumbria just have a proper incident report where you've got to register as the complainant etc.  Although maybe just the RT to their twitter account was enough.

Someone got a ban for calling Kolocho a kunt ??  How awful.

Twice.  :aww:

Guest Howaythetoon

I personally believe racism in its true form or true context is fastly being eradicated from society. For example a black person is actually more likely to get a job ahead of a white person these days, across all levels of jobs. Quotas and equal opportinity schemes have helped massively to make this so, but today many people see other races as mere people and not a black person or an Asian person and therefore when jobs are up for grabs or whatever, skin colour or race doesn't even come into it. This is a good thing.

However, the flipside to this is that casual racism is on the rise and quite so I think. We are seeing it across social media and in every day converse. I hear the words "darkie" and "greasey foreigners" every day. Mind, I live in the West End of Newcastle. A multi-cultural area on paper but a very segregated one in reality.

With rising unemployment and what have you, the working class and lower class (predominatly white people), will look at foreigners and people of other races with unease. Then you have parasite groups like the BNP preyig on peoples insecurities and adding fuel to the fire.

Thankfully, today's youngsters are far more inter-active with other races and people both socially and sexually. I am myself one half of a mixed race couple. My bairn will be mixed race. More and more people especially younger people, are mixing socially and sexually which brings down racial and cultural barriers on all sides and fronts.

In some ways the mass immigration of the last few years, although resented by the middle or older generation of the indigenous population, is or will be embraced by our offsping or their offspring. I.e. the future.

And that is how you combat racial and cultural racism or bigotry, get mixing, socially, sexually, what ever. Whites, blacks, Asians, we all need to mix more. Do so and I as a white person will think 'hey, that black bloke isn't a bad fella, he's not too different to me'. I know I'm simplifying things here to a degree but that is generally how things work. go back to when you were a kid at school and how terrified the idea of secondry school was to you. A week or so into secondry school though and I bet you were 'what was all the fuss about'?!

Regarding football itself, I think I've heard one or two casual racist remarks at SJP once and a few times on the road, all isolated and thankfully frowned upon by the masses. Football due to its tribe like ways, will always bring out the absolute worse in some. Be that violence, racism, homophobia or whatever. That doesn't excuse racism, but does explain why some will blurt such shit out. Its nature basically, deep deep rooted nature because deep deep down we are all racists, bigots or predjudiced AS A RACE of people. White people, black people, everyone.

I must say mind, I work all over the UK, Scotland and Wales and have been to many an away ground and interacted with many a rival fan and indeed many another race and I believe Newcastle is less racist as a city than most and one of the most friendly and less judgemental cities in the UK. We have a China Town and we have a large Asian and African community and we all seem to get on fine. Toon fans are in the main none racist too. Some of our best players in the last few decades were black or foreign. Andy Cole and Sir Les were icons here for example.

Look 12 miles away towards sunderland and you couldn't get more of a contrast. All bias aside, that is one racist city and people. They even abuse their own players, eg Darren Bent's mother.

We are not like that as people and as a City.

As a country, I believe we are the least racist of any. I've been all over the world and there is no country as tolerant than the UK towards other races, other religions and people and their ways in general.

Of course, that doesn't mean we are free from racisma nd other shit, we are not, but we lead the way and we are getting there.

It will never ever fully be eradicated though, we just aren't fucking mature enough or enlightened enough as a species man :lol:

The psychology of racism is pretty straight forward.

It tends to occur amongst a certain socio-economic class. Basically, the people who have fuck all to be proud of look for ways in which they can consider themselves to be better than someone else.

This is why you get thick-as-pig-shit chavs spouting off about darkies and gays. Gives them someone to look down on, even if it's for bullshit reasons. It allows them to not feel like the bottom rung of the ladder.

So with the economic downturn, we're probably going to see more of that mindset.

Basically, it's the fault of the Tories.

Guest Howaythetoon

The psychology of racism is pretty straight forward.

It tends to occur amongst a certain socio-economic class. Basically, the people who have f*** all to be proud of look for ways in which they can consider themselves to be better than someone else.

This is why you get thick-as-pig-s*** chavs spouting off about darkies and gays. Gives them someone to look down on, even if it's for bullshit reasons. It allows them to not feel like the bottom rung of the ladder.

So with the economic downturn, we're probably going to see more of that mindset.

Basically, it's the fault of the Tories.

I don't think its is as straightforward or as simplified as that myself personally like. For example, I know several people who are well off and have it all basically, who are racist as fuck. Mind... they are Tories so... :lol:

For me the psychology of racism and indeed other forms of bigotry comes down to ignorance and lack of interaction.

Inform and interact and racism will disapear even from the most ardent racist.

I speak from experience by the way. Years ago, when I was about 15, I found myself quite the racist in that all these immigrants coming to our country royally pissed me off and I was darkie this black bastard that. I was a right ignorant little shit. A few years down the line, as you grow wiser and start thinking more and mixing more my views and perceptions changed. At college when I was about 17 or 18 for example we had this 5-a-side team and we were short one day so this black lad volunteered. He become a regular. We all went for a few pints afterwards and so we invited Peter as he happened to be called out for a few one day and it turned out that he was in fact a canny kid and just like me or any of my mates.

Many more interactions later and fucking hell I'm only a date away from being married to one of them :D

I genuinley believe if we just mixed socially (and sexually) a bit more, those racial barriers would fucking fall down like Suarez being challenged.

What is pleasing as a white person is that white people in general are going out of the way if you like to mix or to try to. Asians in particular, especially Muslim Asians and those of Pakistani descent, must do more though.

Black people, especially of African descent are arguably the most friendliest and easy going people of this world and love to mix.

Still hear it at the game every now and then tbh.

You not fancy grassing up those guilty, Dave or is it just comments you hear but are unable to identify who said what? Would be good if supporters could self-police on this one. Away games are a bit of a different matter though. Anyone remember the Coventry stuff that happened when SBR was manager? (think it was in 1999) From what I remember reading about it, it was bang out of order and I'm not sure if those guilty of chanting 'A town full or Paki's' were ever caught. Brought shame to the rest of us good supporters. :(

They're just comments overheard from the area around me. Heard them home and away, and if you're engrossed in the game then it's hard to know who's said it. Don't get me wrong, with the exception of some prick at West Ham away it's not a continuous stream of vile racist abuse, but it's still out of order. I just wanted to make the point that it exists everywhere, including us.

Still see him from time to time, he goes to all the aways and he was in the Three Bulls when I was in a couple of weeks ago. Knob.

I've not heard any racism at home games for ages.

There were some older EDL style wankers acting like twats on our way into Ewood Park a couple of seasons ago though, refusing to pass their ticket to the bloke at the turnstile because he was Indian / Pakastani.

And on the buses out of Villa Park in 2007 and on the tube to West Ham in 2008 there were large sections of our lot making monkey noises at black families in the street / tube stations. Was disgusting.

I can remember being in the Milburn Paddock in the early 90's when it was still a terrace. Some bloke started shouting that one of the opposition players was "a black c*nt". Few people told him to shut the fuck up and pointed out that Andy Cole was also black. Racist bloke goes "he's not black, he plays for the Toon". What a fucking moron.

I have to say, that I find that people from india have a poor sense of humour.  Mind maybe the british humour is bit differnt form alot of other peoples. or maybe i just met all the boring indians.  I dont mean asians raised in uk, I mean ones from india.

Most africans ive met have been very funny people.

I have to say, that I find that people from india have a poor sense of humour.  Mind maybe the british humour is bit differnt form alot of other peoples. or maybe i just met all the boring indians.  I dont mean asians raised in uk, I mean ones from india.

Most africans ive met have been very funny people.

There are over a billion of us so you probably have met only "the boring ones." It's a very expansive statement to make, anyway, as you're not taking into account what you consider funny and what culturally may not transfer over well to any other culture different from yours. I've grown up in both India and Africa, and met hilarious people in both those places, including England. Humour, like everything, is subjective to the person.