Is racist abuse still an issue in North East football?

Big Geordie

Guest Geordiesned

Pretty much never hear any racist abuse in the SDA but do still hear the odd "town full of pakis"  stuff at some away games.

I've been unfortunate on two separate occasions to be in the same train carriage on the way back from matches in Greater Manchester area, with a large group of the "English Defence League - Wallsend Division" (all proudly wearing their t-shirts).

They were coming out with that shit as we passed through certain towns. Absolute scum.

Wouldn't say it's a big problem, more a the usual tits making an arse of themselves.

Only ever noticed it once in the whole time I've been at SJP, and that was a few charva day trippers in L7.

Noticed it twice on away trips, Blackburn this season and Aston Villa in the season before relegation.

I'd hardly call it a massive issue. 

Racist abuse is still an issue these days in general society, not just football. Personally, I've heard nowt at home and away games (I actually do make it a point to wear a "Kick it Out" badge whenever I go to away games though).

But I think the general situation is improving. The 90s were a terrible time for me and my family living/owning a Chinese takeaway in West Denton. Back then, more often than not, we'd get these charva customers coming in and they'd hurl racist abuse my mum's way, we even had some racist graffiti on the front door telling us to "fuck off you C****y bastards". Then the 2000s came and the charvas grew up and attitudes started changing (the ones who used to racially abuse us were very apologetic actually).

Whilst racism has come up again recently, it's usually only a few idiots who have been the offenders.

Racist abuse is still an issue these days in general society, not just football. Personally, I've heard nowt at home and away games (I actually do make it a point to wear a "Kick it Out" badge whenever I go to away games though).

But I think the general situation is improving. The 90s were a terrible time for me and my family living/owning a Chinese takeaway in West Denton. Back then, more often than not, we'd get these charva customers coming in and they'd hurl racist abuse my mum's way, we even had some racist graffiti on the front door telling us to "f*** off you C****y bastards". Then the 2000s came and the charvas grew up and attitudes started changing (the ones who used to racially abuse us were very apologetic actually).

Whilst racism has come up again recently, it's usually only a few idiots who have been the offenders.

It's cowardly and pathetic and these people need ot be made to feel that they are pathetic. The only way we can do that is by reporting them when we can. Sorry to hear about the racist abuse that came your Sifu, so senseless

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

But I think the general situation is improving. The 90s were a terrible time for me and my family living/owning a Chinese takeaway in West Denton. Back then, more often than not, we'd get these charva customers coming in and they'd hurl racist abuse my mum's way, we even had some racist graffiti on the front door telling us to "fuck off you C****y bastards". Then the 2000s came and the charvas grew up and attitudes started changing (the ones who used to racially abuse us were very apologetic actually).

:undecided: Sorry to hear that, mate!

Must admit I haven't really experienced too much in football.

Thanks lads, those were tough times but like I've said, times have changed and things are much better these days (we don't have the takeaway anymore btw but things were fine from the 2000s up until the time we sold it). :)

(Racism is still there in society mind).

Guest andyburn

Pretty much never hear any racist abuse in the SDA but do still hear the odd "town full of pakis"  stuff at some away games.

I've been unfortunate on two separate occasions to be in the same train carriage on the way back from matches in Greater Manchester area, with a large group of the "English Defence League - Wallsend Division" (all proudly wearing their t-shirts).

They were coming out with that s*** as we passed through certain towns. Absolute scum.

Pretty sure that not so long ago there was a pic posted on here of one of their meetings, with one proud member commenting, "that's me like" or some such drivel

Guest bengenufc

There is a difference between supporting the EDL and being a racist. Racism doesnt have a place in the game and should be zero tolerance

There is a difference between supporting the EDL and being a racist. Racism doesnt have a place in the game and should be zero tolerance

The EDL are primarily thugs, irrespective of their PR drive. Nationalist loons looking for an outlet.

Guest bengenufc

yeah that joke gets old when one of you do it.... there will always be ignorant people doesnt make the whole organisation racist

Racism has assumed a strange role in our society. Whilst a more severe tact was required to tackle it, due to the severity of the abuse, both physical and mental. We have now arrived a place where racism is apparently worse than xenophobia.

englishdefenceleague.org/

Join the English Defence League today and start to make a difference! If, like us and the many other tens of thousands of decent patriotic people in the country.....

Soon as I see rhetoric like that playing to the emotions I stop reading.

yeah that joke gets old when one of you do it.... there will always be ignorant people doesnt make the whole organisation racist

You've got to be taking the piss? :lol:

Of course the EDL is racist. It was founded by people with a long history of holding far right, and in some cases Neo-Nazi, beliefs. Racism is the main pillar of the fucking EDL.

You've got to be taking the p*ss? :lol:

Of course the EDL is racist. It was founded by people with a long history of holding far right, and in some cases Neo-Nazi, beliefs. Racism is the main pillar of the f***ing EDL.

Dont think they tow the racist line.... Although i have no doubt they are racists. Think it is the anti mosque brigade.

The organisation itself is quite clearly racist (if not racist then xenophobic to an embarrassing degree). Many of the people who follow it are just ignorant though, work with a few Polish people in a factory, think the craic is shit and vote for the EDL on BNP.

Of course the EDL is racist. It was founded by people with a long history of holding far right, and in some cases Neo-Nazi, beliefs. Racism is the main pillar of the f***ing EDL.

Dont think they tow the racist line.... Although i have no doubt they are racists. Think it is the anti mosque brigade.

Of course they don't shout it from the roof tops, appearing to be moderate is the only chance they've got of garnering widespread support. Unfortunately for them rocking up in city centres full of alcohol, singing "Allah is a paedo" and "town full of pakis" before smashing the place up doesn't really garner much sympathy from the locals.

Racism has assumed a strange role in our society. Whilst a more severe tact was required to tackle it, due to the severity of the abuse, both physical and mental. We have now arrived a place where racism is apparently worse than xenophobia.

And then racists start to call other people "racists".

Varying levels of political correctness have blurred the lines too and probably pushed some people towards what would be considered racist.

I would say racism is more prevalent and indeed vicious in many other parts of the world than it is in the UK.

On a global scale we're not bad, but at the same time shouldn't be complacent.

Multi cultural society has improved Britain and the west end of Newcastle is a great example.

Anyway this thread is getting a lot broader than it was probably intended originally, but I'm happy to say again I haven't heard any racist abuse inside SJP for years if not decades.

Of course they don't shout it from the roof tops, appearing to be moderate is the only chance they've got of garnering widespread support. Unfortunately for them rocking up in city centres full of alcohol, singing "Allah is a paedo" and "town full of pakis" before smashing the place up doesn't really garner much sympathy from the locals.

:lol: :lol: