Goals On Sunday - Dyer & Jenas

Skirge

Dyer & Jenas on now both saying their time at Newcastle was the greatest time in their careers and Jenas "Never said being here was like living in a goldfish bowl, was made up by a journalist".

Been really good banter so far

Felt a bit weird with Dyer talking about playing under SBR and how great he was, didn't he refuse to play right wing for him?

Also very sad seeing Speed in thos clips :(

That was blown completely out of proportion.

Well it's a shame they never treat it like it was the best time of their careers eh?

It's a pretty poor reflection on Jenas to agree it was the best period of his career considering he was only 22 when he left.

Both of them could have been so much more.

Felt a bit weird with Dyer talking about playing under SBR and how great he was, didn't he refuse to play right wing for him?

Was it? I seem to remember Dyer himself saying he felt guilty for what happened. (Boro game wasn't it?)

Well it's a shame they never treat it like it was the best time of their careers eh?

It's a pretty poor reflection on Jenas to agree it was the best period of his career considering he was only 22 when he left.

Both of them could have been so much more.

Totally. Jenas' problem has always been the fact he has the heart the size of a pea. He pretty much has it all for a box-to-box midfielder, great engine, good technique, could pick out a pass, yet he would never impose himself on games.

Robson said in his book, he couldn't believe some of the things he would do in training when it came to passing etc, and he would ask him "why can't you do that in a match?" and Jenas would just stand there and shrug his shoulders.

Was it? I seem to remember Dyer himself saying he felt guilty for what happened. (Boro game wasn't it?)

I seem to remember (not exactly sure) it being a case of Player A* being asked to play on the wing one week, he refused and the next week Dyer was told he'd be played on the right wing and his reaction was "Well you didn't make Player A, so why should I be forced to?"

Not the best thing to do (hence his guilt, he should have played regardless of where he was), but not the "No Bobby! I refuse to play on the right wing for you!" that is often painted out.

*Can't remember who it was.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham/6245815/Kieron-Dyer-my-greatest-regret-was-letting-Sir-Bobby-Robson-down.html

“I broke down during that silence because I couldn’t stop thinking about that Middlesbrough game.

I couldn’t stop thinking about what I cost him. If there was one thing I could go back to and erase in my life, it would be that. Just to have played that game.

“What was so horrible about Middlesbrough was that he got sacked a couple of games after. I took that on my shoulders.

“He understood my reasons and there’s a lot more to that story. I’m protecting a friend of mine so I can’t tell it all.

“But I still should have started the game where he wanted me to start. I can’t believe now that I acted the way I did. Afterwards, the press got stuck into me for letting Sir Bobby down. But he would not hang me out to dry.

“Instead, he came straight out of his press conference and said to me ‘they've got a story brewing but I’ve just told them you didn't play because of your tight hamstring’. I was thinking ‘I’ve just let you down and here you are still protecting me’. It was unbelievable.

“Soon after that, we had Norwich at St James’s Park in a night game. I started. I had 52,000 people booing me every time I touched the ball because of what I’d done to the manager.

“The gaffer put me out of my misery after 60 minutes and I ran straight down the tunnel and jumped in the bath. Sir Bobby came into the bathroom after all the lads had gone. He sat down and he was upset because he thought he had let me down because of all the stick I was getting and he couldn’t protect me."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham/6245815/Kieron-Dyer-my-greatest-regret-was-letting-Sir-Bobby-Robson-down.html

“I broke down during that silence because I couldn’t stop thinking about that Middlesbrough game.

I couldn’t stop thinking about what I cost him. If there was one thing I could go back to and erase in my life, it would be that. Just to have played that game.

“What was so horrible about Middlesbrough was that he got sacked a couple of games after. I took that on my shoulders.

“He understood my reasons and there’s a lot more to that story. I’m protecting a friend of mine so I can’t tell it all.

“But I still should have started the game where he wanted me to start. I can’t believe now that I acted the way I did. Afterwards, the press got stuck into me for letting Sir Bobby down. But he would not hang me out to dry.

“Instead, he came straight out of his press conference and said to me ‘they've got a story brewing but I’ve just told them you didn't play because of your tight hamstring’. I was thinking ‘I’ve just let you down and here you are still protecting me’. It was unbelievable.

“Soon after that, we had Norwich at St James’s Park in a night game. I started. I had 52,000 people booing me every time I touched the ball because of what I’d done to the manager.

“The gaffer put me out of my misery after 60 minutes and I ran straight down the tunnel and jumped in the bath. Sir Bobby came into the bathroom after all the lads had gone. He sat down and he was upset because he thought he had let me down because of all the stick I was getting and he couldn’t protect me."

:(

I think that was blown out of proportion like, remember him holding out the captain's armband for someone else to take it, and it got interpreted that he was disrespecting it.

That was my memory of it too. Did it not drop to the floor and some said he'd thrown it down?

Guest neesy111

\

I think that was blown out of proportion like, remember him holding out the captain's armband for someone else to take it, and it got interpreted that he was disrespecting it.

Because he was.

Guest neesy111

That Dyer fiasco at Boro was one the main catalysts for Shepherd appointing Souness and putting this club back 10 years.