Is £26,000 per household per year enough to live?

Dave

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not read enough about it to know the full ins and outs of the proposed changes (hopefully they will be discussed in here) but on the face of it I can't really see the problem with the headline figure mentioned on the radio this morning.

£26k in the bank seems to be enough of a safety net to me.

Btw we don't have children as yet, but I was under the impression that child benefit was only available for the unemployed/unable to work etc?

Guest neesy111

Im confused.

The people claiming cant claim anymore then 26 k a year.

They get it in one lump sum or monthly payments?

Well Monthly, 26k is the cap you can get a year in benefits.

Child benefit, up to now, has always been available to every single person/family who have children, regardless of their status/income/wealth.

What, really? Why do you get paid to have children? :lol:

Guest neesy111

Child benefit, up to now, has always been available to every single person/family who have children, regardless of their status/income/wealth.

It's been like that for decades as well I believe :lol:

Every child gets child benefit. It's £20'ish per week for the first child and less (can't remember) for each subsequent child.

Every child gets child benefit. It's £20'ish per week for the first child and less (can't remember) for each subsequent child.

I can't get my head around this. :laugh: I mean it makes sense for single parents or people that can't work for whatever reason but take the wife and I for example - why would/should we need state help? If we couldn't afford the cost of having children without an extra £20 per week then we wouldn't have them, simple as that. Is this weird? ???

I think means testing every benefit is a good idea in principle TBH. The state should save it's help for those who can't help themselves. The only question for me is if the means testing is more or less expensive then just paying the benefit to everyone and keeping it simple.

It's more a "thanks for contributing towards the future of the country. We can't give you much but here's a thank you." You don't have to accept it.

But £80pm is helpful when you have a load of nappies to get. :shifty:

I totally get the "if I need £20pw help...I'll not have children". But it's not about that. We'd (most of us) do ok without it...but it's nice to get back some of your NI etc to give a little help. :)

Oh I'm certainly not criticising anyone who claims it, don't get me wrong. If they're entitled to it then they're entitled to it.

I'm just surprised because I've not even looked into it before now.

Also I guess it protects the children of people who can't really afford to have kids but have them anyway.

Why should they be protected though? Unless it's as a result of rape etc, obviously.

Also I guess it protects the children of people who can't really afford to have kids but have them anyway.

Why should they be protected though? Unless it's as a result of rape etc, obviously.

Are you serious? Because the children are innocent and shouldn't have to live in poverty because their parents are idiots.

£26k a year is more than enough! jeeeeez!

I used to work in a bank up until last year, and the amount of single mothers with one, two or three kids getting more than £2k a month into their account was unreal. Absolutely no incentive whatsoever for these people to get a job, as it simply won't earn them half of that. And most of them didnt have to pay rent neither, had reduced council tax etc etc

£26k for fuck all, only in Britain.

Are you serious? Because the children are innocent and shouldn't have to live in poverty because their parents are idiots.

I'm not saying we shouldn't look to prevent poverty, but won't we just continue to produce said idiots if we say it's okay and that the state will bail them out without fail? Why would they think twice?

PS: misread the 'protected' bit - thought you meant protecting the family/parents' income.

I'm not saying we shouldn't look to prevent poverty, but won't we just continue to produce said idiots if we say it's okay and that the state will bail them out without fail? Why would they think twice?

PS: misread the 'protected' bit - thought you meant protecting the family/parents' income.

Well that's the key question for any civilised society, not sure I know what the answer is. It's a very difficult balance between helping people and allowing them to come dependent on benefits.

But in this case people will reproduce, it's not really a decision as much as an evolutionary instinct. Yes, a few people might stop having unprotected sex if they couldn't get benefits for the children, but I doubt the link would be that strong.

I guess we just need to find innovative and effective ways to get people off benefits and working. At the same time though, the poorest people get the least out of capitalism and have to work hardest in the worst conditions for it, so I can see why some of them want to opt out.

Guest neesy111

The fact you could get an unlimited amount in rent so you could live practically anywhere is extremely unfair as well.  If your on benefits, then you should not be allowed to live in wealthy areas where people who work could only dream of affording to live there.

I'm not sure there are people out there who have kids 'for the money', but you only have to watch One Born Every Minute on Channel 4 to see that some younger lasses just want a child because their mates have one, like it's some sort of toy. It can't help if they know they'll get state help irrespective of their situation.

There's probably a deeper discussion here about terminations as well btw.

Guest neesy111

Giving them £26k a year keeps them quiet, reduces crime and gives the police less trouble. Unfortunately.

I think the point from all of this should be that you should be better off to work than to sit on benefits.

Guest neesy111

The goverment should bring out an ID card that has a entry for employment status and make sure that without a job you can't buy Nike Air Max, cigarettes or TVs over 26in.

:mysterysolved:

Sales of Airmax's would plummet :lol: