Adrian Mariappa stays at Watford

Skirge

Graeme Bailey @SkyGraemeBailey 26s  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open

Sky Sports sources understand that Newcastle United have made a bid for Watford defender Adrian Mariappa. see.sc/c57yr2

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11686/7449958/Toon-make-Mariappa-move

Sky Sports sources understand that Newcastle United have made a bid for Watford defender Adrian Mariappa.

The 25-year-old has emerged as one of the stand-out defenders in the Championship over the last 12 months.

Swansea City showed an interest last summer and were linked with a renewed bid this January.

However, Newcastle have now emerged as favourites to claim his signature after making a move for his services.

Newcastle are in need of defensive cover having lost Steven Taylor for the season.

Mariappa, who has come through the youth ranks at Vicarage Road, has 18 months left on his current contract.

Deal worth £5m is only way we should deal for one of the best defenders outside the premiership

Williamson went for £2m when we urgently needed to sell. Mariappa is far superior to Williamson and therefore his value should be at least double.

I dont think Watford should sell. They have cronic problems up front and their only hope this season is to keep it tight at the back. If we sell our best defensive player, then we will be even weaker.

there's no way we'd let him go for as little as [£2m]

In regards to value, he has certainly improved on the 2mill valuation. I may be biased, but for me he is up there with Mills as the best centre-half in the league.

IF Taylor was fit this would be an okay transfer but we are desperate for a quality quick CB not another Championship singing, we already have Perch.

I get the feeling we budgeted for an expensive signing but getting Cissé meant we've switched to a cheaper option. I'd rather have had Cissé than a better CB so...

IF Taylor was fit this would be an okay transfer but we are desperate for a quality quick CB not another Championship singing, we already have Perch.

Basically this.

It's an ok signing if were signing another player and keeping funds for him, if this is it then it's a big let down.

If he is a good championship defender then should be good enough for cover, seems fair for the price(2m+ I mean not 700k  :lol:). Colo or Williamson gets injured and we are totally screwed so this kind of transfer is essential.

In the Northern Echo this morning, it was mentioned that we had £7m still to spend on a defender. so I am guessing if that us true then the  the Cisse money was what was in place for the Maiga deal.

This mid may not be them looking for a 1st choice CB but a player they think will be cheap and may be a good squad player. I doubt that is the case but you never know.

Might have seen the lad when we played Watford in the Championship, but I can't remember him standing out. A 700k bid suggests Ashley is playing hardball again.

Just checked, he played both fixtures against us but I can't remember him either.