Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pardew already talking about it being a long trip, just enjoy it you miserable cunt. They'll have a flight direct from Newcastle to Kharkiv while the rest of us have to sit around for hours in Istanbul, Kiev or wherever. I'm pretty sure if we're still in a bit of bother by then he'll toss it off citing a trip to Anzhi in the next round anyway.

It sounded like he just didn't have anything else to say.

I saw Metalist play Rosenborg earlier this year. They are a team full of technical Brazilians and Argentinians, and a big defender from Senegal or something. They showed some glimpses of quality, but don't think they were anything special. Much better in attack then in defence, is my opinion. Rosenborg had pretty good control until the last ten minutes, when they let in two goals and lost 2-1. They will probably up their game against us though. Some of their supporters were crazy. Some fat man without a shirt (-3C, wind and snow) tried to enter pitch, but got caught as he tried to jump over the advertising boards, and destroyed it.

Could be some funne games if we go for it, which I don't think we will unfortunately.

For anyone who has booked up, you arriving into Kharkiv Wednesday or Thursday?

Via Istanbul, are you on the flight waiting about 15 hours in the airport or only a couple when you come back?

Arrive thursday

waiting 7 hours on the way out, 2 and a half hours on the way home

Alan Pardew: Newcastle ready for Metalist Kharkiv threat

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has said there will be no surprises from Europa League opponents Metalist Kharkiv in their last 32 round tie.

The Magpies' reward for progress from the pool stages was a two-legged tie against the Ukrainian side, starting with a home game on 14 February.

"They're one of the powers of the new Europe," Pardew told BBC Newcastle.

"You will be amazed at the information we can gather. We will know them inside out by the time we play them."

He added: "They're a relatively newly created side with finance. It'll be a tough journey and possibly one that is impossible for our fans."

Kharkiv play in the 40,000-capacity Euro 2012 venue Metalist Stadium and are fourth in their domestic league.

Under former national team head coach Myron Markevych, the club have assembled a multinational squad featuring six Argentines, five Brazilians and a Senegalese.

In contrast, Newcastle are 15th in the Premier League and on a run of one win in eight league games going into Saturday's match against strugglers Queens Park Rangers.

"It's great we've got this game to look forward to," Pardew added.

"We've got ourselves into a position in the league where we haven't got much to look forward to at the minute, we're fighting for our lives.

"We want to get out of this situation, and that is the cherry on the top of the cake. Hopefully we'll be in a better position when we get to that game than we are now."

Meanwhile Pardew has admitted he is unsure of the future of striker Demba Ba, with the January transfer window set to open.

The 27-year-old Senegal striker escaped punishment for an interview on French TV station Canal+ in which he discussed a clause which would allow him to leave the club if an offer of £7.5m was made and talked of potential interest from Premier League clubs.

"It's unfortunate that the contract he has leaves open a lot of questions because we have this clause and every window that comes around, I have to answer the same questions," Pardew added.

"It would be disappointing for him to leave in this window for this club and for his team-mates here, but the decision will be his, ultimately, because that clause is there.

"The most important thing we have got with Demba is he is a goalscorer."

Do they all wear yellow in Ukraine?

Fluorescent colours only to be seen in wintery weather!

Surprised so few have heard of Metalist Kharkiv tbh. They've got a few decent scalps over the last couple of years.

I won't pretend to claim to know about them, obviously well aware of Shakhtar and Dynamo. Was far better versed in all leagues years ago, but as time moved on - couldn't be arsed.

Seems like they have a fair bit of Brazilian fire-power and Flip mentioned they play good football.  Tricky tie, far-away and it will be some cold fucking weather.

Do we think the Brazilians and Argentinians love the cold? Don't suppose the French and Senegalese and Ivorians do either like. Nor do I tbh. :undecided: Was listening to Guy Mowbray earlier describing Kharkiv as an unfriendly Soviet-style grey place next to the Russian border after his time there at the Euros. To the TV/radio then!