Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would rather miss out of Europa personally, that is if Ashley will not invest in a much bigger squad.  Look at Stoke and Birmingham and how it effected them!  Although Birmingham are now on a nice run.  I think it takes to much out of a team early in the season, hence 6-7 new players would probably be required.

Liverpool to win the Carling Cup, Spurs to win the FA Cup. All we need is Sunderland to win the league and I might actually switch to rugby :lol: .

Haha. It seems like there could be a point in the league where we'll actually want Liverpool to be winning games even though they're behind us in the league? I dunno. If we go and attack teams I think we'll do it of our own back anyway.

I would rather miss out of Europa personally, that is if Ashley will not invest in a much bigger squad.  Look at Stoke and Birmingham and how it effected them!  Although Birmingham are now on a nice run.  I think it takes to much out of a team early in the season, hence 6-7 new players would probably be required.

Nah fuck that, we'll bring in players and we've got youth players who will benefit from games. The Europa League is the next step in our rehabilitation, let's do it now, it'll encourage players to stay and new signings. I think the fact that both the Manchester clubs are playing in it now will make it seem a bit more worthy tbh.

i dont see how people dont want to qualify. whats the point otherwise? we're not going to get top 4 (this season is our best shot) and quite frankly i dont care too much about whether we finish 8th or 12th, i would take 12th every other season if it meant qualifying for europe often enough. no point finishing just outside the places every year

I struggle to comprehend how people wouldn't want us playing in Europe? If we aren't going to actually win any trophies the least we can do is try and compete in Europe on a regular basis.

:thup:

I struggle to comprehend how people wouldn't want us playing in Europe? If we aren't going to actually win any trophies the least we can do is try and compete in Europe on a regular basis.

The usual argument given by supporters of various clubs is this whole bollocks about "stretching the squad" and "what about injuries?"

It's all garbage. What the hell is the point in competing if you don't want to progress, i.e. play in Europe?

Playing in Europe increases the stature of the club. This will attract a better standard of players. This will help the team to progress and become better. This simple yet instrumental route of progress is bizarrely overlooked in favour of the mentality of a cold Thursday night in Bucharest being the end to all the players' fitness.

personally think the europa next season would be great for squad development, being able to bring 2 or 3 of the types of vuckic,abeid,ferguson, tavernier,campbell etc in for games would really bring them on.

:thup:

Totally agree, really can't understand the feeling that we "shouldn't" qualify for Europe because it might hinder us in other areas. Good management/organisation along with a bit of luck and it won't be an issue.

If we ever won the Premier League, I'd hope we forfeit it. Would do nothing but heap unneeded pressure and expectation on the next season.

Even worse, a few of them could start throwing the trophy at each other for no apparent reason, causing numerous injuries and compromising squad depth for the start of the next season. Not worth it.

If we ever won the Premier League, I'd hope we forfeit it. Would do nothing but heap unneeded pressure and expectation on the next season.

Even worse, a few of them could start throwing the trophy at each other for no apparent reason, causing numerous injuries and compromising squad depth for the start of the next season. Not worth it.

Absolute hell. A needless distraction in the chase for the title the following season.

Never understood why club's fight all year long to qualify for the Europa League and then dont even bother when they do qualify.

Sign 4 or 5 players and give some of the youth players some experience mixed with the usual starters and we will have enough to fight on both fronts.

I'll be very disappointed if we qualify for the Europe League next season and dont take it seriously, as Madras said it should be great for our development as a squad.

Mentally, Physically and Technically.

philmcnulty Kenny Dalglish says Daniel Agger could be out for "a few weeks" with a fractured rib. #bbcsportsday

7 minutes ago

Who came in for him today?

Edit* Carra. Get in.

Never understood why club's fight all year long to qualify for the Europa League and then dont even bother when they do qualify.

Money.

That might make sense in the CL, but in the Europe League it doesnt considering this is the payout......

Group stage: €640,000

For each match in group stage: €60,000

Group match victory: €140,000

Group match draw: €70,000

Round of 32: €200,000

Round of 16: €300,000

Quarter-finals: €400,000

Semi-finals: €700,000

Losing Finalist: €2,000,000

Winning the Final: €3,000,000

Only if you get to the final its worth it on a financial scale, and even then its not a great deal more if at all than what you get for finishing in top 6 the season before to qualify.

So no i dont think its money.

Money.

That might make sense in the CL, but in the Europe League it doesnt considering this is the payout......

Group stage: €640,000

For each match in group stage: €60,000

Group match victory: €140,000

Group match draw: €70,000

Round of 32: €200,000

Round of 16: €300,000

Quarter-finals: €400,000

Semi-finals: €700,000

Losing Finalist: €2,000,000

Winning the Final: €3,000,000

Only if you get to the final its worth it on a financial scale, and even then its not a great deal more if at all than what you get for finishing in top 6 the season before to qualify.

So no i dont think its money.

Plus few million £ from extra gate receipts.