Scientology - an evil and sinister organization or unfairly demonized?

Big Geordie

Watched a couple of BBC Panorama investigations on Scientology, the other night. First one was back in 2007, when a reporter went over to California to investigate the organization and to not only see how it works, but also to look into claims that it is a cult. Second one was a follow up documentary from a couple of years ago, where the same reporter spoke to a couple of high level people who had since left the organization and offered insight into workings behind the scenes. Throughout both shows, the BBC reporter was continously hounded by some 'Scientologists' and eventually cracked in the first show which became quite famous for how the lad 'lost it' under extreme psychological pressure and goading;

From viewing both shows, I wasn't aware that the organiztion has sought to increase it's presence in the UK but is still being refused to be recognized as a religion (by the charity commission I believe) Also from watching the interviews with people who have since left it, there does seem to be a lot of control that goes in whilst a person is on the inside. And then if you choose to leave, you lose all communication with any family that you may still have withing the organization - which is something which it defends. So in esscence - is it a cult? Yes, I believe so and it's one that's primary objective is to make money, control it's members and being endorsed by so many high profile celebs in America only serves to increase it's appeal to some.

For those who haven't heard of it before, here is some info on it;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

From what I understand of Scientology, it was created by a science fiction author heard to comment that it would be easy to make money if started your own religion. Also you can only move up through the ranks of the 'religion' if you make sufficient enough donations. With the way the handled the South Park criticism, no screaming during childbirth, Tom Cruises speeches, I've come to the (what I would think is an obvious) conclusion is that it's a big pile of money grabbing shit.

It offends me that the word Science is a part of it's name.

• 6 years later...

A friend of mine was out on a bike ride when he unwittingly cycled past a Scientology building (I think it was the one in West Sussex). A large African American man in a suit said to him "We've been expecting you". My friend said "I don't think so" and made a sharp exit. It was only later a local told him it was a Scientology building.

The Scientologists had a stand at the Sunderland Airshow a few years ago. They had teenage 'recruits' in uniform walking around. Made me angry to see that sort of thing is allowed a stand at such an event.

I'm off to set up a religion so I don't have to pay any tax.