Futsal Euro 2012

Marko NUFC

I was just watching Futsal Euro match between Croatia and Romania and I was wondering why isn't there England in futsal. There are all the "big" teams of Europe - Spain, Portugal, Italy, Russia... but I've never heard about English team in futsal.

Is this sport even known in UK?

you can check on uefa.com (hope i can post this link, if not the moderator can remove this)

http://www.uefa.com/futsaleuro/season=2012/finals/index.html

And the game was really exciting as well as Spain-Slovenia earlier in the day...

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Very small following over here. No-one really knows about it, and I'm guessing they'd prefer to play 5-a-side anyway. FA do FUTSAL coaching courses, but I think there's only 1 a year.

Its really strange that this is not popular considering that you play 5-a-side which is very similar. Well, when I think more about it, I haven't heard that England plays any finals in indoors sports such as basketball or handball which is strangely very popular here.

I've played it once and much preferred it to our regular 5 aside. Far more like proper football.

We're fairly shite at B'ball but we do have a team and we've only just rustled up a handball team for the Olympics for the first time IIRC.

Guess we just put more into our traditional sports like normal football, rugby and cricket.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Its really strange that this is not popular considering that you play 5-a-side which is very similar. Well, when I think more about it, I haven't heard that England plays any finals in indoors sports such as basketball or handball which is strangely very popular here.

Comes down to facilities. We're only just really getting 'basketball courts' (pretty much 5-a-side pitches with a hoop put above the goal) in public areas. Before that you'd have to pay or hire out a school sports hall or gym. Its the complete opposite to say America, where all open urban space has a basketball court (and no small sided soccer pitches).

I'd have loved to have gotten into Basketball more, despite my lack of any real height, but there was just nothing in the North-East while I was growing up. Newcastle Eagles had just about formed.

Yeah, i guess. You play grass sports mainly, but its a shame that England doesn't have a futsal team which I think that it could get popular over there in near future.

Its still getting popularity in Croatia so i assume it needs time to settle in especially in England...

p.s. at least you have a handball team :)

Comes down to facilities. We're only just really getting 'basketball courts' (pretty much 5-a-side pitches with a hoop put above the goal) in public areas. Before that you'd have to pay or hire out a school sports hall or gym. Its the complete opposite to say America, where all open urban space has a basketball court (and no small sided soccer pitches).

I'd have loved to have gotten into Basketball more, despite my lack of any real height, but there was just nothing in the North-East while I was growing up. Newcastle Eagles had just about formed.

There has been a basketball court in the park in Gosforth for 10 years or so.

Guest Craig-NUFC

It would actually make sense to put more emphasis on Futsal in winter since the weather here is so rubbish. I know my local 7-a side kids football league play a summer season outdoors and a winter season indoors, but that's on astroturf pitches which are basically the same size as the regular pitches they play on.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Brooking promoting Futsal a few years back as a way to encourage technical play and creativity.

Exactly, and if i remember i think i read somewhere that Barcelona is focusing their young players when they are really young to play more futsal because of the technical play and creativity which you mentioned.

Because in futsal there are only 4 players and 1 goalie so you have to be very fit and technically strong cos the play is really fast and every mistake is punished which makes this sport very exciting to watch...

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

No one knows about it! Even then that's only since 2000 - 1 public basketball court (that isn't also a 5-a-side pitch).

FUTSAL is all Brazilians play until they reach 15 or so, at least according to one book I've read. Can't say its first hand knowledge.

No one knows about it! Even then that's only since 2000 - 1 public basketball court (that isn't also a 5-a-side pitch).

FUTSAL is all Brazilians play until they reach 15 or so, at least according to one book I've read. Can't say its first hand knowledge.

There are futsal courts kicking about fairly commonly in cities in le Sud d'Amerique from my brief encounters.

Seem to remember a fair few people from my school went to training things with the Eagles, they came in to Middle School a couple of times giving away tickets n all, poor cunts.

There is a growing futsal scene in England. I referee it and there was an English ref at Croatia-Romania today. It is a much better sport than five-a-side, part of the reason our national team is so gash is that players don't learn the ball control skills that they do in futsal.

There's a decent national league, usually attracts some pretty mad supporters! Flares, toilet roll, the lot!

Aphrodite, your right, futsal is growing but it always seemed to me so strange that England doesn't have this sport popular considering how much English love the game.

Well, I hope it changes and it gets more and more popular because England has the potential and futsal might even enhance the quality of players in "real" football...

Hehe, that was a nice atmosphere at that game  :)

p.s  can this be transfered to the Football section?

I played in a Futsal tournament at uni two years ago, awesome game. I'm very poor technically and it shows up more than in 5s  but I really enjoyed playing.

Isn't it just 5-a-side?

It is 5-a-side but:

-heavier ball

- there is a set pitch so you can't 'play it off the wall'

- you have kick ins rather than throw ins

- you can only give away five fouls in each half or every foul becomes a penalty

- the clock stops when the ball goes out of play like in basketball

We play regular 5aside on a normal 5aside pitch but using a futsal ball. It's class, stops people hoofing it up field so much or taking pot shots from their own half.

Also, dead easy to trap/stop the ball with it being denser, so makes shit players like me feel like I have as good a first touch as Messi.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Brooking promoting Futsal a few years back as a way to encourage technical play and creativity.

Aye, I got asked to form a team to enter the first NE Universities Futsal Cup, we'd never known what it was before but 4 of us (who had to set up the teams) had a 2 hour introduction and training session with the (at the time) England Futsal captain and a couple of developmental Futsal coaches from the FA.

It was canny and they gave us a 'rule book'/manual with a couple of the futsal balls (smaller, about a size 2/3?) to practice with...in the end, due to lack of opportunity to play indoors at the uni, we ended up incorporating it into our regular 11-a-side training. It was a great way to get players concentrating on movement and touch, rather than hoofing it.

I played tons of Futsal as a kid, wasn't aware it was different to your "5-a-side" (always thought it was your name for it, since "Futsal" is a Spanish acronym).

Always loved the high tempo it is played at, demands such a combination of athleticism and ball control than it's actually a harder sport to master than most people give it credit for. That's why I ended up being the goalie  :blush:

Anyway, we are in the final. Wo-ho!

I was yday at the semi-finals between Croatia-Russia and Spain-Italy and I'm just impressed how it looks so fast :) Im playing futsal myself but to see those best players playing futsal was incredible. Spain is just so good although Italy gave them a few problems and it finished 1:0 for Spain. And I found out that Spain haven't lost 104 games in a row :o

Final is tomorrow between Spain and Russia with Croatia playing Italy for the 3rd place

here is the picture of yday's game between croatia-russia

http://i39.tinypic.com/15fjhpw.jpg