January 2012 Transfer Window - winners and losers

Cajun

So who have done well and who have had a shitter?

I would be really pissed off if I was a Spurs or Arsenal fan.

Arsenal are really struggling at the back and it's costing them pretty big. They could have done something about it but as usual their only signing is a promising attacking midfielder, well that and a sentimental signing.

If anything Spurs have gone backwards, will Saha be an improvement on Pav? I highly doubt it. Nelsen I used to really rate despite being injury prone but nowadays is he really an upgrade on Bassong? Doubt he is even on the same level. Then they have also lost Pienaar who despite not getting regular games just seems like a needless departure. Tottenham really had the chance to push on and prove one of the top teams in the country, they will probably still do this but could have really cemented their place.

Manchester United have signed one player, Scholes. They aren't exactly doing bad but have struggled at times and with a few key players out/struggling they could have done more to keep the pressure on City.

Everton have done really well, got Pienaar back who was very good for them before. Another recognisable face is Donovan who was a great success in his loan spell, replaced and ageing Saha who has struggled with a highly rated forward and although not the best all rounder have got a midfielder capable of getting goals. Not lost anyone they will really miss.

QPR have paid silly money but have brought in players who are likely to help achieve their main objective of staying up. Macheda and Ferguson may be a little frustrated at todays signings mind.

Wigan and Blackburn have done nothing to help themselves (well to be fair you could say Blackburn have done well to hold on to Samba and Hoilett) from the drop, Bolton were also in that category but Sordell could turn out to be a bit of a wildcard.

I'm wondering whether behind the scenes Spurs are in some sort of financial situation where they needed to get rid of a few high earning players who they don't really need.

Don't really think anyone 'wins' in the January window. It really is terrible. I can't see why there shouldn't just be one window (the Summer one). There's no need for this one.

With that said, we're stronger than we were before entering it, so I can't really be anything less than content with how it's gone.

Winners:

Us - Controversial, I know, but let me don my black and white specs and tell you why. A lot of fans are rightly disappointed we've decided to gamble with the two centre halves but I can't help but feel excited. We've kept together the squad that has us hitting the hefty heights of sixth place while building on it with the potentially excellent signing of Cisse. The lad has been a natural goal scorer throughout his career, for less than ten million he looks to be an absolute snip. Can't wait to see what him and Ba can do when they eventually return from Africa.

Everton - They've added bags of creativity with Donovan and Pienaar, an area they've been desperately lacking in during the first half of the season. I think Jelavic is a gamble but it's not like they've broke the bank for him, worst case scenario they can probably re-sell him for a similar fee. Having said that he can't be any worse than Saha, can he?

QPR - Another controversial one. QPR didn't have a hope in hell of staying up unless they bought a striker or two. I know Cisse and Zamora are very short sighted signings but they'll certainly get them a goal or two. I still they'll be in the relegation mix come the end of the season but at least they've given themselves half a chance with a couple of forwards capable of finding the back of the net, more than I can say for Bothroyd anyway. I've always rated Onuoha too who will undoubtedly improve their defensive options.

Losers:

Spurs - I thought they'd try and enhance their defensive options in order to build on their their excellent start to the season but seems they've seemingly settled for a back up in centre half Nelson. I can't for the life of me see the point in signing Saha who has struggled for goals all season, bizarre.

West Brom - Bar the odd purple patch West Brom are having a poor season. Their main forward has been misfiring and their defence leaking goals. Yet rather than try and shore up either department they've made two woeful signings in Ridgewell and Andrews, two players that shouldn't be getting into a Premier League side on a weekly basis.

I still don't rate QPR's squad, in spite of all the signings they've made. But the imports will ensure they stay up.It's more because Wolves, Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn are all fucking horrendous teams. You've really got to be God-awful to get yourself relegated from this league nowadays, i include 08/09 in that btw.

Aye, QPR are winners based solely on the fact that the business they have done should see them safely stay up. The strikers especially as what they had beforehand was appalling. That said, the individual deals themselves don't exactly look like great value for money in the long term.

Wolves have done well with Frimpong and Bassong but I don't think it'll keep them up.

Wigan and Blackburn have done absolutely nothing, astonishing.

QPR might have made signings but they're far from a cohesive team. Hughes is such a chequebook manager. Hope they go down with the ridiculous sums they're giving to mediocre players.

As for Everton, well, I don't think their window is as fantastic as people made out. Donovan has only a month left on his loan. For a club that's reticent to spend big money Jelavic is a gamble especially as he's never played in the Prem before, and when was the last time Pienaar did anything of note?

All in all, a pretty boring transfer window.

disappointed we didn´t sign a DC. seemed to be a lot of different exciting CBs available...think its a very risky gamble. if colo is out (lets say 4-5 games this spring) our defence will break down. find it a bit silly to gamble when we are in a position to finish 5-6-7.

well, hope willo and colo stays fit and we will have a good 2nd half of the season!

Arsenal will not move for Hazard or Götze this summer with Arsene sayning:  - Well it would send a strange message to our player Eisfeld to go for other players in those positions right now. Im very happy with my squad..

Based on last January and also our fears of what might have happened this window, we've come out in a very healthy position. Despite not getting the centre half we could have done with I'm pleased we weren't held to ransom by Watford. We made a final offer we deemed suitable and didn't go back after that, on deadline day many clubs would have buckled, I'm confident we'll add a quality cb in the summer, hopefully Douglas after he gains his Dutch citizenship.

Having said that, given how slow not just yesterday seemed to have been but the window as a whole, I can't help but wonder if we just didn't get any enquiries for the players we didn't want to lose.

But I don't want to end this on a non positive note, so...Papiss Cisse! Seemingly our top target from the summer and, yet again, we weren't held to ransom then when a deal couldn't be struck and have picked him up for reportedly less than £10m. I really like the way we're doing business lately.

For any of you disappointed we didn't add a cb, imagine we'd not signed Pap until yesterday, I'm pretty sure we'd all be on cloud nine about now. Despite recent concerns about the back four I cannot remember the last time I was this excited about the quality of the squad we're assembling.

Guest Roger Kint

Modeste isn't a bad player but he alone won't save Blackburn's season.

Philippe Auclair was on the radio last week and was asked about him. I think 'why even bother Blackburn' amid sniggering says it all....

I wonder if Spurs' transfer dealings are due to the fact that they are in a kind of limbo with the manager.  Will he be there beyond the Summer?  Maybe Levy is reluctant to splash the cash on players that a new manager would not want.  They are almost certain to qualify for the Champions League next season but maybe they don't quite have the belief that they can challenge for the title yet and so decided to hold back until the Summer.

So who have done well and who have had a shitter?

I would be really p*ssed off if I was a Spurs or Arsenal fan.

Arsenal are really struggling at the back and it's costing them pretty big. They could have done something about it but as usual their only signing is a promising attacking midfielder, well that and a sentimental signing.

If anything Spurs have gone backwards, will Saha be an improvement on Pav? I highly doubt it. Nelsen I used to really rate despite being injury prone but nowadays is he really an upgrade on Bassong? Doubt he is even on the same level. Then they have also lost Pienaar who despite not getting regular games just seems like a needless departure. Tottenham really had the chance to push on and prove one of the top teams in the country, they will probably still do this but could have really cemented their place.

Manchester United have signed one player, Scholes. They aren't exactly doing bad but have struggled at times and with a few key players out/struggling they could have done more to keep the pressure on City.

Everton have done really well, got Pienaar back who was very good for them before. Another recognisable face is Donovan who was a great success in his loan spell, replaced and ageing Saha who has struggled with a highly rated forward and although not the best all rounder have got a midfielder capable of getting goals. Not lost anyone they will really miss.

QPR have paid silly money but have brought in players who are likely to help achieve their main objective of staying up. Macheda and Ferguson may be a little frustrated at todays signings mind.

Wigan and Blackburn have done nothing to help themselves (well to be fair you could say Blackburn have done well to hold on to Samba and Hoilett) from the drop, Bolton were also in that category but Sordell could turn out to be a bit of a wildcard.

As a Spurs fan, I'm certainly not p*ssed off, I think we've got to the stage where it's harder to get the players who will significantly improve what we've got at reasonable cost (especially in the january window). 

There seems to be a general optimism that Leandro will be signed in the summer and that there is already an agreement to sign Adebayor for £8m and Ade will accept £100k.  If that's correct, a short term signing (6 months with a further year's option) for Saha makes a lot of sense.  Pav had to go, wasn't interested and it showed and Levy wasn't going to say no to £11m for him.

The same can be said about Ryan Nelson.  There's little doubt that Bassong will benefit from more playing time than he would have got at Spurs and in the summer it's fair to assume that Caulker and Naughton will return from their respective loans.

I would have liked a backup for Bale and Lennon but Krasic wanted more than Levy was prepared to pay and Blackburn wanted silly money for Hoilett who is out of contract in the summer.  So disappointed? A bit but p*ssed off?  No.  On the contrary, with some of the youngsters we've got out on loan and coming through the Academy, new Training Centre operational this summer, new stadium (and the revenue that generates) coming fairly soon I'm still more optimistic than I have been for an awful long time.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Winners - Saha and Ryan Nelsen.

http://cdn.theweek.co.uk/sites/theweek/files/styles/theweek_article_main_image/public/Louis-Saha.jpghttp://www.millionaireplayboy.com/mpb/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/seven_bullies_06.jpg

"SA-HA!"

I get the feeling we won't entertain the idea of Bassong coming back because he kicked up a fuss about leaving last time. Obviously he's miles better than Williamson, but Willo is not going to cause any waves.

I still feel we should have signed a left back but maybe we are waiting for Cissokho's or someone similar to run their contract down to get them at a reasonable price. Our buying policy seems to be long term rather than to address this season's needs unless there is an emergency. Not ideal but I can see the logic.

Wolves have done well with Frimpong and Bassong but I don't think it'll keep them up.

Wigan and Blackburn have done absolutely nothing, astonishing.

QPR might have made signings but they're far from a cohesive team. Hughes is such a chequebook manager. Hope they go down with the ridiculous sums they're giving to mediocre players.

As for Everton, well, I don't think their window is as fantastic as people made out. Donovan has only a month left on his loan. For a club that's reticent to spend big money Jelavic is a gamble especially as he's never played in the Prem before, and when was the last time Pienaar did anything of note?

All in all, a pretty boring transfer window.

When he was with us he was doing plenty of note.

Btw, don't think that I'm now going to claim we'll make a charge towards 7th or anything, but yesterday was by far the best day we've had this season. 2 very positive signings and a win which demonstrated a level of desire we've not seen this year. Admittedly, I expected the square root of fuck all from yesterday, both on and off the field.

Donovan and Pienaar are loans admittedly; but remember Rodwell and Osman are still to come back so Donovan can be covered for when he leaves. Pienaar, well, we'll see how it goes.