A petition

Fatwax

Hey users of N-O.

I'm making this post in order to ask for your help. On the 25th of November in Mansfield my girlfriends father, Diederik Coetzee, was involved in a hit and run accident when he was cycling to a spinning class that he teaches. The driver hit him and drove off without ringing the emergency services, checking him or showing any kind of remorse or concern. Coincidentally the people in the car were from Sunderland and were later taken in - however they will probably get off with no charges as there is no actual evidence of dangerous driving.

Long story short Diederik is still undergoing numerous brain scans, physiotherapy and lots of other treatment because of the dangerous conditions on this country lane where the accident happened. Before the accident Diederik was a dedicated police officer who was very well respected in the community and actually had the countries highest arrest record for a while. He is also an ironman triathlete and overall a wonderful man who I feel very proud to know.

Below is the official blurb about the incident that my girlfriend wrote for other forums.. I just thought I would put my info here aswell. I know the vast majority (if any of you) actually live around this area so might not be able to related, but we need 1000 signatures that can be from anywhere and anyone in order for this to be considered.

If the mods or whoever have a problem with this being up just let me know. If you could sign either petition you would be really helping the family a great deal. It's a shame that this has happened at all, but it would be a travesty if something similar or worse was allowed to happen again because nothing was done this time.

Thanks.

My father Diederik Coetzee was hit by a car in November. Although he is improving he is still not able to come home to us and has just begun his rehabilitation process. This has been a traumatic time for my family.

We ask for your help to try and improve the conditions of this road.

There are two petitions, one to decrease the speed limit. the second is to erect street lighting.

We do not want others to go through the heartache that we have been going through.

links:

http://petitions.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/Speed-Blidworth/

http://petitions.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/Light-Blidworth/

Thank you for your help.

Here is a little more information as to what happened to my father.

He was on his way to a spinning class 25th november at around 18:00. Where he was hit by a vehicle on Blidworth lane. The vehicle did not stop and drove away, leaving my father injured on the road. My father was wearing all of the required safety features, such as fluorescent jacket, his helmet and a light on his cycle. He is also well aware of road safety as he has been an avid road cyclist the majority of his life.

He has sufford severe head injuries.

It will be 9weeks tomorrow since the accident.

He is now in a stable condition starting his rehabilitation phase of his recovery.

Blidworth lane is a national speed limit (60mph) country road, with many twists. There have been many serious accidents along this road. It is poorly lit.

We feel the speed should be reduced due to the mount of cyclists that use this road as well as cars, to enable it to be a safer road.

Lighting on this road would improve all of the dark spots within the bends and turns allowing both motorists as well as cyclists to have an increased visibility.

Attached is the most recent article on my father.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-16683426

Guest Stephen927

Signed. Sorry to hear about your girlfriend's father. All too often people see the National Speed limit as a target to hit.

Signed. Sorry to hear about your girlfriend's father. All too often people see the National Speed limit as a target to hit.

That's what you're taught tbh. Otherwise you're risking not keeping up with traffic.

That's what you're taught tbh. Otherwise you're risking not keeping up with traffic.

On country/winding roads I was specifically taught that it was just a guide to go as fast as you think you can safely. For example, looking at the vanishing point of the road ahead and slowing down if you can't see around the next corner etc.

I know a lot of people drive dangerously though.

Thanks to everyone that has signed the petition so far. I'm at work at the moment, but I'll explain what I understand about the legal side of this as best as I can later when I have time.

This is really appreciated guys. :thup:

• 7 months later...