Hands Off N'Zog

Nobby

Charles N'Zogbia travelled to Germany today after being told by Glenn Roeder that his future is very much with Newcastle United.

The United boss is aware that several clubs both home and abroad, including Arsenal, are eyeing up United's 20-year-old French midfielder.

But before boarding the club's specially-chartered 737 for tomorrow's UEFA Cup game against Eintracht Frankfurt, Roeder told me today: "Charles N'Zogbia is an exciting talent for us.

"His future is here at Newcastle United - and anyone who is mischievously saying otherwise is totally wasting their time.

"Charles is very important in my plans for the future of this club and you do not find players like him growing on trees.

"The way he has virtually come from nowhere to make over 50 starts for us is nothing short of meteoric.

"But we must not forget that he is still only 20, and while he is extremely talented and quite rightly well-liked by our supporters, especially for the flair in his game, we have got to be patient with him.

"Fortunately what is helping me to deal with Charles is the fact that I had the likes of Jermain Defoe, Michael Carrick and Joe Cole as players in my time as manager of West Ham United, and I found that you cannot expect 20-year-olds to be fantastic every game.

"But now with Damien Duff injured and likely to be out for some time, Charles

knows that he is going to have a run in the team and this should be a great encouragement to him."

N'Zogbia (above) has not scored since his goal against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light in April and I believe it is fair to say that the North-East's current Young Player of the Year has not hit his best form so far this season.

But N'Zogbia has had to recover from the early tragic death of his father and the loss of the footballer he most looked up to when Jean Alain Boumsong left for Juventus in the close season.

However, he showed in the latter stages against Portsmouth on Sunday, when he made the winning goal for Antoine Sibierski, that he is now ready to show the sort of form that has made some United fans unconcerned about the absence of Duff.

Roeder added: "Part of my job with young players is that they should not start to believe their own publicity and take their eye off the ball.

"I know that Charles is the sort of player who does not respond to the iron fist but to the velvet glove, and when he is in my office all he needs is to have an arm put round him.

"I have told him that apart from regaining his best form for Newcastle United he has to be trying to get into the French squads in the near future.

"What I have never told him is that when Tord Grip was England's No 2 to Sven-Goran Eriksson and he talked to me about Kieron Dyer he also asked me where Charles was from.

"When I told him France he said that this was a shame because he and Sven would have loved him to be part of the England set-up."

If him and Taylor reach their full potential and we manage to keep them then we have got potentially two future top Premiership stars. I'm hoping the 2nd half on Sunday was the turning point for N'Zogbia, and also the last few games are a sign of things to come from Taylor now.

Guest Gemmill

"I know that Charles is the sort of player who does not respond to the iron fist but to the velvet glove, and when he is in my office all he needs is to have an arm put round him.

Sexual harrassment claim in the offing here.  I can just see Roeder with one gloved hand draped over Charlie's shoulder.  God alone knows what he's got in/on his other hand.

Sexual harrassment claim in the offing here.  I can just see Roeder with one gloved hand draped over Charlie's shoulder.  God alone knows what he's got in/on his other hand.

Raping Charlie's dog with the other hand?

Raping Charlie's dog with the other hand?

This was one of the best replies EVER!! Can't stop laughing...

nice said glenn - he needs to feel as appreciated by the club as he is by the fans!

as for the velvet bit - the new MD of the company i work for was just described as an "iron fist in a velvet glove" - even worse (and the fuckin glove came off when he sacked 370 this morning)

If him and Taylor reach their full potential and we manage to keep them then we have got potentially two future top Premiership stars. I'm hoping the 2nd half on Sunday was the turning point for N'Zogbia, and also the last few games are a sign of things to come from Taylor now.

Taylor is getting back in the swing of things after recovering from injury, and doing some rather daft shit, Zoggy will come good now Duff is fuked.

Don't forget Krul as well, has unlimited potential imo, lots of people were raving red about him before that heroic night, so i think we've got a goalie sorted for the next 10 years as well.

Well said Glenn!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Indeed - but saying the right things to the press has never been a problem for Glenn...

Agreed - words are cheap ; what happens in the next 6 months will determine the future of N'Zogbia, NOT Roeder's platitudes.

Also in the equation is how much money will be needed in January....!!

Sven wanted to know if Zog was English :lol:

Why wouldn't he think a name like "N'Zogbia" wouldn't be English?

Although if he stays uncapped by France for another 2 and a half years, he will be eligible for England.

Is that bit in bold true ?

Guest Armchair Pundit
Arsenal planning £7million Magpies raid

15:36 November, 30, 2006

Arsenal Football Club will still make an effort to sign Charles N’Zogbia in the New Year.

Mail The FansFC Editor

Send This Article To A Friend

Post Your View on The Msg Board

The Frenchman has made a great impact in the English game since moving to Newcastle United, and Arsene Wenger is hoping to lure him to the Emirates Stadium in January.

However, Magpies boss Glenn Roeder told the Newcastle Chronicle: "His future is here at Newcastle United - and anyone who is mischievously saying otherwise is totally wasting their time.”

Despite this, Wenger will not be deterred and an offer of £7million will be tabled as soon as the transfer window allows him to make an official move for the 20-year-old.

£7m?! Who are they kidding? I'd be f*ckin livid, we sold that bag of sh*te Jenas for more and if the spuds can get £18m for Carrick I'd want considerably more than £7m for Zoggy!  :wullie:

Guest Armchair Pundit

FansFC mate.  Calm down.  Stop reading rubbish like that.  bluebigrazz.gif

Aye, tis a good point bud  bluewink.gif

Arsenal planning £7million Magpies raid

15:36 November, 30, 2006

Arsenal Football Club will still make an effort to sign Charles N’Zogbia in the New Year.

Mail The FansFC Editor

Send This Article To A Friend

Post Your View on The Msg Board

The Frenchman has made a great impact in the English game since moving to Newcastle United, and Arsene Wenger is hoping to lure him to the Emirates Stadium in January.

However, Magpies boss Glenn Roeder told the Newcastle Chronicle: "His future is here at Newcastle United - and anyone who is mischievously saying otherwise is totally wasting their time.”

Despite this, Wenger will not be deterred and an offer of £7million will be tabled as soon as the transfer window allows him to make an official move for the 20-year-old.

£7m?! Who are they kidding? I'd be f*ckin livid, we sold that bag of sh*te Jenas for more and if the spuds can get £18m for Carrick I'd want considerably more than £7m for Zoggy!  :wullie:

7m will be a good deal if that contract - ie. the one currently on the table - does remain unsigned. I'd say cash-in now, if we do face the prospect of losing him on a Bosman next Summer.

I have to say i'm disappointed with Roeder's handling of N'Zogbia this season, purely because i felt that Roeder has underutilised Duff's versatility by not taking advantage of the said player's ability to slot in at either RW or upfront. Martins and Duff, as a forward pairing, would've provided a dual-counterattacking threat making us more effective as a hit&run team away from home, and more capable of building on a 1 goal lead at home.

Zoggy's progress, his development, has stagnated as a result.