Is our education system failing the majority?

Ishmael

I would recommend that everyone at least watches the shorted animated version.

Haven't got time to comment this second, but I will find time later or over the weekend, suffice to say that I both understand and accept Sir Ken's perspective on our failing education system. Yet, I have absolutely no idea where to begin in order to entirely cure it.

Change isn't as simple as transplanting one of the successful Scandinavian systems before anyone suggests that.

This is brilliant, its something that i was talking about for a while when it comes to the education system in my home country, and noticed similar trends here in the UK while i'm doing my masters.. the way he puts it in really explains it well..thanks for this mate :) going to share it, the 2nd version is great and easy to understand too.

This is brilliant, its something that i was talking about for a while when it comes to the education system in my home country, and noticed similar trends here in the UK while i'm doing my masters.. the way he puts it in really explains it well..thanks for this mate :) going to share it, the 2nd version is great and easy to understand too.

I know!  I've shared the same beliefs ever since I started in the profession, but like you have never seen it explained in such an intelligent accessible way :)

Too many poor people in education these days, re-open the mines and get them sent to work the lazy kernts.

Bit extreme from you, must be something you picked up from travelling in SA

:bluestar:

in reply to the OP, YES massivly. it's not set up to educate but to produce factory fodder and has been for years.

Pretty much this. Results are the be-all and end-all for schools now.

Said this before but kids are taught how to pass exams not be able to use their skills to work things out themselves.

Guest Howaythetoon

It is aye,  but culturally edcuation isn't as important as it used to be or should be among todays kids, and that in itself is as big an issue.

It is aye,  but culturally edcuation isn't as important as it used to be or should be among todays kids, and that in itself is as big an issue.

As Sir Ken pointed out, it's because people don't buy into the myth of education anymore.