Dig at Souness!?!?

Guest mrchoonz

Guest mrchoonz

Link

Roeder wants a winning feeling Nov 29 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder is confident that Newcastle United will finish as UEFA Cup Group H winners - regardless of what happens in Germany and Spain tomorrow night.

United top the group with a maximum nine points and only Fenerbache can stop them from finishing top.

To do so, the Turks must win their two remaining matches, at Celta Vigo tomorrow night and at home to Eintracht Frankfurt next month.

Despite having only 12 senior players to pick from at the most for tomorrow's game at the Commerzbank Arena, an upbeat Roeder was still in a confident mood as United flew to Germany this morning.

Indeed he told me: "We are going to Frankfurt trying to win the game - just like we have done in all our previous away games against Lillestrom, Ventspils, Levadia Tallinn and Palermo.

"In fact we never want to finish second in any game we play. And we especially want to get at least a point tomorrow night at the Commerzbank Arena because we do not want to drop down to second place.

"If we do, rather bizarrely we would then play a team coming out of the Champions League in the next round in February.

"We know that regardless of our result in Germany we have already qualified for the next round and that only Fenerbahce can stop us winning the group, but to do that they would have to win at Celta Vigo and again against Eintracht Frankfurt.

"And while they should probably beat Eintracht on their own pitch I cannot see them beating Celta Vigo in Spain. After losing to us last Thursday, Celta Vigo will be pulling out all the stops against Fenerbahce.

"They will know that it will be regarded as a disaster in Spain should they not go through to the next stage."

United will be playing their 26th game of the season tomorrow night - way more than any other team in the Premiership.

It is their third European trip to Germany and they are looking to make it a notable hat-trick after an Intertoto Cup win over 1860 Munich at the Olympic Stadium in the 2001-02 season, and the Champions League success at Bayer Leverkusen the following year.

Roeder added: "It is incredible that by the end of November we will have played 26 games, but nobody is complaining, especially as it is the price we have paid for our good run at the end of last season and Titus Bramble scoring the goal against Chelsea in our final game which gave us the chance to get back into Europe.

"What is also incredible is that while our physiotherapist Derek Wright tells me you can usually expect one or two players to have major operations in a season we are now standing on six.

"But he pointed out that all our injuries have come on the battlefield in games and not on the training pitch."

I for one think it is a dig at Souness, and to clarify that what the situation is too!!

Guest mrchoonz

Wowser!

:lol:

You know what I mean though. He's bascially saying that Souness was causing the injuries in the way he trained the players

Guest eyeball_tickler

i dont think it is. the injuries to owen, duff, parker, moore, milner, n'zogbia, carr, ameobi (?) and krul were all match related.

Guest mrchoonz

i dont think it is. the injuries to owen, duff, parker, moore, milner, n'zogbia, carr, ameobi (?) and krul were all match related.

:lol: :lol:

Thats my point :winking: and Roeder's too