Investments

wormy

Anyone got any experience of this? I've got a couple of grand sat around my bank account gathering dust. I'm 22 years old with, if I'm honest, little to no true responsibilities in life yet. I'm not much of a forward planner so can't be fucked seeing it sat there for a 'rainy day'. Would it be worth throwing it into some investments of some kind? It's always interested me, but I know jack shit and wouldn't know where the hell to start tbh.

Well, while you wonder whether you can be bothered to really invest, get on down to moneysavingexpert.com and find the best ISA going, and if you have any surplus, find the highest interest savings account for the rest. If you know you won't need the money, and you don't want to invest in anything riskier (equities, FX etc), consider chucking it in a bond  for a better rate - but remember you won't be able to withdraw it (in most cases) until the end of the bond, James Bond.

Edit: Don't be lazy about it either. It's so, so simple to set up these days online. Halifax (which requires a small wait period while they post you some stuff) still give you £5 just for staying in credit. It's £60 free a year, in essence. You might have to transfer money in and out of it, every now and again - but with the age of safe online banking, it literally takes under a minute (unless your internet connection sucks).

as beren said if you just wanna sort of be lazy and just gain decent interest on it, isa aint a bad shout. think natwest isa atm is about 3.9% which aint bad but i dont know what any of the alternatives isas are

I really am tempted to look at stocks. It's a matter of where to look and whether I'd be willing to put the time and effort in so I'm not just throwing it into a black hole. And the fact I have a very regretting nature. If I lost it I'd forever be kicking myself.

I really am tempted to look at stocks. It's a matter of where to look and whether I'd be willing to put the time and effort in so I'm not just throwing it into a black hole. And the fact I have a very regretting nature. If I lost it I'd forever be kicking myself.

dont think its worth the hassle for the amount you have tbh

unless you have a real interest in it and will read up every day etc

It's nothing to do on a whim (as you wisely already appreciate), but there are some dummy investment sites which is like monopoly money with real investments. So you can track how you fare, and if you're entirely hopeless. Can prove an inexpensive cautionary tale that it's not for you, or you could kick yourself that you were just playing with Monopoly money :lol: They're very impressed and advanced sites :)

It's glorified gambling (in a way) though, as speculative/individual investors. Still alright though. At the very least, don't let your money sit in a current account.

I dunno like, there are plenty of cheaper stock options around for you to put a few hundred quid on a diverse set of stocks. But I wouldn't be going into it thinking you'll be trading every week and making bank.

I dunno like, there are plenty of cheaper stock options around for you to put a few hundred quid on a diverse set of stocks. But I wouldn't be going into it thinking you'll be trading every week and making bank.

thats what i mean by taking a real interest in it and keeping up to date with whats going on. getting ~4% wouldnt be be bad return just for someone who wants their money safe but still growing, without any effort

sounds like you can afford to learn to drive and get a car for the derby after all

:lol: Really? That probably wouldn't cover the amount of fucking lessons I'd need.

Don't forget you'd have to buy a massive booster seat. :memelol:

:best:

:okay:

Do they still do savings accounts linked to the stockmarket - stocks and shares ISA? - and are they worth touching or would I be better throwing my money at passing tramps?

I've got 5k sat in a bog standard ISA and have been wondering if I should do anything more with it.