Touchscreen Controllers (Wii-U / Next Gen X-Box)

O Neill

Touch screen controls on the actual controller seem to be the must have feature on the next gen range of consoles. The Wii-U first revealed a tablet looking device last year which was quickly written off by many as being clunky looking, potentially difficult to hold and too expensive for throwing around. Now that rumours have appeared that the next gen X-Box could potentially have a similar screen sitting between the standard X-Box control pad layout I wonder if general opinion is starting to change somewhat?

Personally I wasn't overly impressed by what was being pitched early on but I've really come round to the touch screen idea now. I see it as being something along the lines of adding a second monitor to your PC. Initially it doesn't seem like a big deal but I think in terms of productivity and the way you play games it could make a massive difference.

I was considering a few of the top games at the moment and how a touch screen could be implimented into their design. One of the big things I can see the touch screen interface being used for is to deal with menus without having to pause the game.

• Skyrim - Take the menus and bring them onto the touch screen for instant weapon/magic switching without having to pause play.
  • FIFA 12 - There are a number of potential uses but I'd like to see a quick tactical interface appear on the controller. Maybe something to replace the current D-pad button options. Alternative uses could be to direct a second player on a run or simply as a live statistics interface.
  • Battlefield 3 - Perhaps put the map there during play so you only have to glance down to check out what's happening across the battlefield. An alternative might be to have a function where it can be used when you are playing with one of the camera drone things.

These are just a couple of potential uses that have I've thought of. What do people think though? Next big thing or is everyone jumping on the bandwagon again like with motion controls in the fear of being left behind?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yeah, Nintendo have this brewing for nearly over decade. The GBA was suppose to hook into the Gamecube and become a huge interactive controller. Think the only game that used that was a Final Fantasy game.

I don’t think having an in-depth control unit is inherently gimmicky, I think it really could be useful to have a quick-use display item, for inventory stuff, and quick-access ingame menus for things like FIFA. But god knows how they can achieve that, because you really can't afford to look away from the screen.

The Wii thing is just shat upon because it's associated with an underpowered piece of crap with no good games (that we haven't already seen 15 incarnations of anyway).

New rumors are swirling about the look and features of Microsoft's next-generation Xbox gaming console, including a report that the so-called Xbox 720's controller could include a touch screen surrounded by the familiar buttons and sticks used on the current Xbox 360 controller.

The touch screen rumor comes by way of the print-only Xbox World Magazine and was passed along Friday by NeoGAF.

If a touch screen is included in the 720's controller, it sounds like it will be used to add some gameplay. But its main purpose could be to enhance all the extra media functionality Microsoft could well be building into its next-gen gaming console.

It's a bit unclear, but the Xbox World Magazine report also seems to suggest that the rumored touch-screen controller could be made available for the Xbox 360 ahead of the next-gen console's release, which might be as late as the second half of 2013.

"Microsoft [is] experimenting with a tablet-like controller with a shape closer to Sony's sleek Vita handheld [or] Apple's iPad than Wii U's bulky unit—it's an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks," Xbox World Magazine reported, citing unnamed sources.

"On 360, that touch screen will be second only to Kinect in how you operate your console," the magazine continued. "It could be a remote control when you're watching TV, a browser when you're on the Internet, extra buttons and information when playing a game, or a portable display when you want to take your game with you."

The magazine also predicted that Microsoft would show its next game console at the E3 show in Los Angeles in June. Previously, Xbox World Magazine reported that "[t]he next Xbox will be a matte-black media hub with a mission to bring games to life in your living room with augmented reality, directional sound, and a four-player finger-tracking Kinect."

Other recent Xbox 720 rumors include a report that Microsoft is working on a way to get its third-generation console to reject used games and lots of speculation that the game system will pack a 32-nanometer chip that combines an IBM Power PC central processor with a Radeon HD 7000-series GPU from AMD and supports DirectX11, multi-display output, 3D, and 1080p HD output.

Last month, rival Sony said it will not unveil the PlayStation 4 at E3 this year.

That's the article that has been doing the rounds on the web. if I remember rightly the Wii-U thing started with similar speculation for a few months before anything was confirmed.

Actually, something like Madden could use it really well for local multiplayer. You could call plays from the controller, rather than a shared screen. I suppose it could be good for audibles and things too.

As said before though, it's not a good idea to be taking your eyes off thew screen for most action oriented games, so it's hard to see how something like this could find a mainstream use. It'll more than likely be for mini-games and stuff, or navigating menus. Could also be used to constantly have the dashboard available, rather than the guide, which takes you out of the game...

Actually, something like Madden could use it really well for local multiplayer. You could call plays from the controller, rather than a shared screen. I suppose it could be good for audibles and things too.

As said before though, it's not a good idea to be taking your eyes off thew screen for most action oriented games, so it's hard to see how something like this could find a mainstream use. It'll more than likely be for mini-games and stuff, or navigating menus. Could also be used to constantly have the dashboard available, rather than the guide, which takes you out of the game...

:lol: You would think they learned this in 99. NFL2K was one of the very few games that used it well. IIRC, you used it to call plays and check fatigue, etc.

Think Phantasy Star put it to decent use as well.

Don't mind the idea of it tbh.. could really enhance the experience if used well, rather that than more Kinect shite. Be interesting to see if Microsoft actually bother with it though, no confirmation from what I can see.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

They didn't have a clue how to use that thing on the dreamcast controller. Well, NFL2K used it well.

The VMU?

Can only think of Sonic Adventure that used it in anyway other than a memory card.

Yeah, Nintendo have this brewing for nearly over decade. The GBA was suppose to hook into the Gamecube and become a huge interactive controller. Think the only game that used that was a Final Fantasy game.

pretty sure it was used to link up for additional stuff in Metroid Prime (between it and Fusion) and Zelda Four Swords used it as a controller too

They didn't have a clue how to use that thing on the dreamcast controller. Well, NFL2K used it well.

The VMU?

Can only think of Sonic Adventure that used it in anyway other than a memory card.

:lol: I couldn't remember the name of that fucking thing to save my life! Yeah.

How did Sonic use it? Was that the game where you raised bugs?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The VMU?

:lol: I couldn't remember the name of that fucking thing to save my life! Yeah.

How did Sonic use it? Was that the game where you raised bugs?

Yeah. It basically let your port one of your Chao's (aka bugs...  ???) onto the VMU and look after it like a Tamagotchi (which were all the rage at the time). Strangely, me and my mate found a Black Chao in the Egg Fortress and named him Mr. T. We took him back to the Chao garden to mix with the rest of the guys. When we returned they were all dead a part from Mr. T who was sitting happily on top of a bridge overlooking the waterfall.

http://www.freewebs.com/steeveeo3000/chao%20race.jpg

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Your memory is terrible, man. Can't remember VMU, can't remember Chao. Dreamcast was like the first console to give you all the 2K sport games! Perhaps my favourite console that never got a chance.