AVB And The Chelsea Team Rebuilding

NG32

Feel a bit sorry for him really but then he has signed Gary Cahill so maybe he really doesn't know what he's doing.

Bringing in a manager based on success in the UEFA Cup is nearly always a disaster mind.

Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard and Michael Essien were all dropped from the Chelsea line-up against Napoli on Tuesday for daring to criticise manager Andre Villas-Boas before the match. Cole told the boss: "I came here to win medals, and trophies, but I'm never going to do that with your tactics."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4145000/Chelsea-news-Chelsea-in-revolt-after-Andre-Villas-Boas-axes-Ashley-Cole.html

A manager once said that you can't achieve anything without a happy dressing room, and AVB's dressing room ain't happy.

It's a difficult job for anyone, because with the rise of Man City and FFP they can't just spend their way out of the situation, and at the same time they've not been geared to bringing younger players through. What needs to happen is the same process as Fergie performed when he first took over at Man U - taking a step back in order to eventually move forward.

AVB's difficulty is that when he takes that step back, the players and the supporters will point to his age and inexperience and pin the blame on those factors. It's better done by someone with a more secure record, and even then it's difficult.

Abramovich should stick with him, but I think if they don't qualify for the CL this season, then he won't.

Not long for the job but as a young manager he is probably at one of the worst clubs for massive ego cunt players, he will be back abroad in no time and Roman will go after Jose again.

Was fighting a losing battle right from the off with the players he inherited. Far too young for the job. Yet another example of Chelsea bringing someone and putting a massive dent in their career before they leave to resurrect it. He'll be gone at the end of the season.

The problem Chelsea have ain't the manager but the super ego's of the old guard. They have gotten every manager since Raneiri (including Jose) the sack because of the insane level of influence they had and they were and are to this day championed by they're cheerleaders in the media (see outrage over Lampard not being 1st name on the team), at least AVB has had the balls to take them on. Sacking AVB will change nothing for Chelsea and another patsy will be subjected to the whims of the past it egomaniacs. However back him and dump terry etc then something might change

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Villas-Boas is starting a project that needed to be gradually started 5 years ago - the slow progress of phasing on set of players out and replacing them with a new (younger) group of players. Sadly, Chelsea's constant change of manager always meant that that change was going to be second thought - if thought about at all.

The core group of players - Terry, Lampard, Essien, Cole, Drogba - have been there so long now that they've achieved too much power (you could argue rightly so based on all they've won). Seemingly that was one of the reasons they were dropped against Napoli last night, and why there is tension between players and coaches.

Villas-Boas has perhaps been a little arrogant/ignorant thinking he'd be able to remodel a team like Chelsea, who have had a core set up up to play methodical football. For the last 10 years their reliance on certain players has become stronger and stronger, compounded by changes of managers who sit back and rely on them again and don't look to change what is a 'successful' set up. Another 2 years goes by another manager, and another reliance on the same players. 2 years more another manager same situation. Suddenly those players who were in their prime have aged and declined and no-one has really noticed.

Finally, a NEW manager comes in again, only he has his own ideas and goes about implementing them straight away.

Those core players aren't happy at being overlooked and being tried outside of their comfort zone - sitting deep, playing it methodically, leaving all the creativity to 'one guy' (Mata, Deco, Robben, Lampard at one point). You'd think that Chelsea had an amazing squad, but most of their players are very similar, as they've been there so long.

Given time and control I believe Villas-Boas will turn it around at Chelsea. It may take a 'poor' season to achieve that in the process, but I think this is as good as season as any to start the process. Premier League is as poor as I can remember it - Man U are rather poor by their standards, Arsenal are weaker, Liverpool we're all aware about.

Sack Villas-Boas and who do you replace him? Jose Mourhino? Will he attempt to remould the club or will be happy to use a set of players who already know his football philosophy for another 1-2 years before their legs drop off? This change has been coming for a while, sadly it seems that Villas-Boas will be blamed for it failing/changing a winning formula.

Another manager coming in cant stick with these players, if they want to compete then that change needs to start niw, like you say it should have started a couple of years back.

Roman the money wanker needs to back AVB above the players or sack him off now.

Villas-Boas is starting a project that needed to be gradually started 5 years ago - the slow progress of phasing on set of players out and replacing them with a new (younger) group of players. Sadly, Chelsea's constant change of manager always meant that that change was going to be second thought - if thought about at all.

The core group of players - Terry, Lampard, Essien, Cole, Drogba - have been there so long now that they've achieved too much power (you could argue rightly so based on all they've won). Seemingly that was one of the reasons they were dropped against Napoli last night, and why there is tension between players and coaches.

Villas-Boas has perhaps been a little arrogant/ignorant thinking he'd be able to remodel a team like Chelsea, who have had a core set up up to play methodical football. For the last 10 years their reliance on certain players has become stronger and stronger, compounded by changes of managers who sit back and rely on them again and don't look to change what is a 'successful' set up. Another 2 years goes by another manager, and another reliance on the same players. 2 years more another manager same situation. Suddenly those players who were in their prime have aged and declined and no-one has really noticed.

Finally, a NEW manager comes in again, only he has his own ideas and goes about implementing them straight away.

Those core players aren't happy at being overlooked and being tried outside of their comfort zone - sitting deep, playing it methodically, leaving all the creativity to 'one guy' (Mata, Deco, Robben, Lampard at one point). You'd think that Chelsea had an amazing squad, but most of their players are very similar, as they've been there so long.

Given time and control I believe Villas-Boas will turn it around at Chelsea. It may take a 'poor' season to achieve that in the process, but I think this is as good as season as any to start the process. Premier League is as poor as I can remember it - Man U are rather poor by their standards, Arsenal are weaker, Liverpool we're all aware about.

Sack Villas-Boas and who do you replace him? Jose Mourhino? Will he attempt to remould the club or will be happy to use a set of players who already know his football philosophy for another 1-2 years before their legs drop off? This change has been coming for a while, sadly it seems that Villas-Boas will be blamed for it failing/changing a winning formula.

Great post.

Chelsea are fucked.Their whole financial set up has been wrong given that FFP will be coming in.whether AVB is the man to change things, I don't know.I'm not a fan of his behavior and I think he's tried to change Chelsea tactically without changing the players.for me,that's his great failing.he doesn't have enough creative players and ball-playing players in his team to play it out from the back and try to control games in midfield.to change that around he needs huge investment and I struggle to see him getting it with FFP and also the lack of confidence Roman will have in him.essentially,Chelsea are a mess in all areas,mainly caused by Roman.It's great,the club is shit and most of their fans are proper chavs

Sell Terry and Lampard in the summer they are the main troublemakers and deluded to psychotic proportions about their self worth. Terry causes trouble wherever he goes. Probably thinks he can be a manager the dimwit. If those two aren't jettisoned then ACB 'the ginge' is doomed.

Sell Terry and Lampard in the summer they are the main troublemakers and deluded to psychotic proportions about their self worth. Terry causes trouble wherever he goes. Probably thinks he can be a manager the dimwit. If those two aren't jettisoned then ACB 'the ginge' is doomed.

Problem is without Terry they have the Luiz/Cahill combination at CB.  :lol:

Problem is without Terry they have the Luiz/Cahill combination at CB.  :lol:

Sell Luiz as well. :lol:

Agreed, if he's not sacked before the summer then it will be this or bust.

Spending £75 million last Jan on those two was a nightmare like. Hard to begin the rebuilding process when you start with two complete duds.

This is the problem (if there is such a thing) of having an owner who's worth 12billion $. I have the feeling he meddles too much in the makeup of the side (remember Scvenchenko).

They need to take onboard a little bit of the Arsenal model and accept the rebuilding will take 2/3 seasons. Infact with FFP an their 749m debt I don't see any alternatives than slower transition using youth.

There was a time they would just steal the good young players from West Ham and Fulham and so on, before Roman arrived.

Anyway the semi-crisis at Arsenal and Chelsea is good for us.

I also think that Roman (who's main residence is in the South of France - and his yachts) might give up on English football and buy a French side. There is no easy fix this time.

Reminds me of Gullit's time here, fans of other teams probably thought similarly about us when he was in charge.  He's inherited players that he doesn't want, a number of whom form a core of players within the squad and who are apparently quite vocal about the manager's choices, he wants to get rid of a few of these players but they're fan's favourites and their sale would be blocked by the owner.  Whilst there's some money available it's nowhere near the amount that previous managers had to spend and he's limited in the positions he can try to strengthen by having to deal with the fans and owners desires to keep certain players in the team.

I didn't agree with Gullit's choices when he was here but I do agree with a number of AVB's choices about Chelsea, but if I were a Chelsea fan I'd probably think exactly the opposite.