Who is our leader?

Keefaz

Seems to be clear now that, since the departure of Barton and Nolan, we're lacking a real leader on the pitch. Someone who'll kick team-mates' arses (and the ref's), take a game by the scruff of the neck and take responsibility for what's happening on the pitch. When Shearer, Speed, Given, Nolan, etc. came out after a game and gave an interview, you felt their words meant something as they felt responsible for the team's performance in some way: who's our man to do that now? And is there anyone doing it in the dressing room?

Not meaning to shit on your thread with the first post Keef, but I actually think this is way down the list of problems we have.

Certainly don't think it's affected us this season. We don't have maybe the vocal characters we had last season but people like Colo and Ba lead by example, and it rubs of on the rest of the team encouraging them to raise their game.

Not meaning to shit on your thread with the first post Keef, but I actually think this is way down the list of problems we have.

Certainly don't think it's affected us this season. We don't have maybe the vocal characters we had last season but people like Colo and Ba lead by example, and it encourages others to raise their game.

Not saying it's a huge problem at the moment (although, it might have made a difference on Saturday), but you need someone to stand up, I think, when things start going south. It's all very well being a nice "group of lads", but someone's got to nut up when times are tough otherwise it can all descend into finger-pointing. Also, I want to care about whoever is doing an interview and that he is a club man. No offence meant, but I don't give a toss what Jonas or Ba or Danny Simpson has to say. When Speed gave an interview, for example, the pub would hush down.

Vocal leaders have been important since the day football was conceived, to simply dismiss it's importance and the impact it has on our team is daft.

It should be our captain, but when we appointed him we all knew that was the downfall in his leadership qualities, taylor is very vocal, whether anyone listens to him is another thing all together.  :lol:

For me, Tiote, easily the hardest player we have, can't see any player messing with him only he seems quiet and smily, maybe Cabaye in a year or so when he's settled. It's certainly a problem, but the trade in quality over vocal leadership had to be made.

I just don't think it's been a problem for us at all this season, not that they're not important in the sport in general. Somebody summed it up well when talking about Ba that they much prefer his type of character to the 'laddish' attitude we've had in recent seasons. More professional, more genuine and it rubs off on the general attitude of the team.

I think the problems we're having now are almost entirely tactical and with our fundamental approach to games, which appears to be regressing as the season goes on. I don't think we're crying out for somebody to shout and ball at players or tell people what to do during games, we just need to be improving our football as a collective before we even step onto the pitch.

No offence meant, but I don't give a toss what Jonas or Ba or Danny Simpson has to say. When Speed gave an interview, for example, the pub would hush down.

In that sense I agree and you're right we don't have somebody like that. However I don't think we've had somebody like that for a few years, for example for all that Nolan was a supposedly excellent leader in the dressing room and on the pitch he's not somebody I would ever take that much of an interest in during interviews or ever felt embodied the club in the way Speed or Shearer did. Maybe that's down to grudges of him as a player, I dunno.

I dare say this is probably something Steven Taylor would revel in, especially now that he's a bit older and more matured (er.. don't hold me on the matured part!) But I would say that with Barton, Nolan and dare I say it Smith gone this is probably his time to shine when he returns from injury. Suppose it would have to be Colo though, but he seems like too much of a 'nice guy'

Might well miss the likes of Nolan and Barton this weekend tbh. Not so much their quality, but their spirit and ability to gee up the dressing room. Hopefully it won't matter too much.

Possibly, but I also think we're more likely to lose the game because of other reasons. Such as afformentioned tactical issues and the fact Sunderland are better than they were.

I think to much is made of how much effect Barton & Nolan had, I think its poor if a professional footballer needs to be wound up before a match to be at their best.

On the pitch every single one of them should be a leader, Colo definitely tries to lead by example if we are behind by bursting forward ball at feet, he is not a vocal force.

If we do need that kind of input on the pitch then I think that job should fall to Cabaye.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We miss Saylor in that respect. I suppose the closest thing we have to the 'vocal leader' is Shola.

I think we need shape and direction as a team rather than a shouty captain tbh.

Just need someone to put their foot on the ball and not cake their shorts when we're under a bit of pressure. Shola did it superbly when he came on, tbf: although he ain't the answer by any means.

Think it's Steven Taylor once he's back. Could be Simpson if he only had more quality on the pitch. Hard for the likes of Colo, Cabaye or Jonas because of the language...

Wouldn't say it's the language tbh. Just don't think they've got it in them to take a situation by the scruff of the neck and lead the team. Colo's good at leading by example in terms of performance, but he clearly isn't a vocal leader. Jonas the same, just don't think he's got that about him. Maybe Cabaye, only time will tell. But I would like to see Colo and Saylor share a 'team/club' captain role of some kind ie Nolan-Butt/Smith situation when he returns. Unless we get in a player over the summer that can take on some kind of leadership role for us. But it's rare you'll get a player in and be able to give him that kind of responsibility straight away.