Stammer or Stutter? Know someone who does?

Stu

Good Afternoon

Chances are, those of you who have met me (a surprisingly high number) will be aware that I have a stammer. You may also be aware that I am part of the McGuire Programme, not only to work on my own speech but to help others overcome their fear of speaking.

Back in October 2011, I spent 5 days on a course in Birmingham helping 5 new students overcome their irrational fear of speaking with the inspirational Gareth Gates (“the one from Pop Idol”). This was filmed as for a BBC documentary which is going to be aired tonight on BBC3 @ 9pm called “Gareth Gates – Stop My Stutter” (available for 7 days on iPlayer).

I haven’t seen the final edit, but it promises to be a worthwhile watch and may also help you to understand a little bit more about what I’m actually doing with the deliberate pausing and heavy (costal) breathing.  You might even catch a glimpse of me…if the director didn’t cut me out of all the frames!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-17180031

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcthree/2012/02/gareth-gates-stop-my-stutter.shtml

If you have any questions about my speech or the programme, feel free to get in touch! Cheers.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I used to speak like Jonathan Ross. Then I grew up. However, I still very rarely say 'W' instead of 'R' when you get a combination of words Railworks. Where the R or W is the first letter in the syllable.

Stu, I didn't know you had a stammer, I've suffered myself to varying degrees. It doesn't really rule my life like with some people, but it's inconvenient sometimes. I know a bit about the McGuire programme and have considered it before.

I ended up going on the Starfish Project instead a few years ago. It uses the same breathing technique and limited words per breath. I found it really useful but I still struggle to put it into practice every day. It's great to know I have something I can use and work on though.

There is a vocal community of people who found this stuff life-changing, but I'm also interested in the people who didn't and never say anything. The thing I found was that I didn't share a lot of the feelings of self-hatred that some sufferers have, either through dumb luck or because my stammer isn't as severe as some. Because of that I found it hard to relate to a lot of the surrounding conversations and couldn't quite buy in to the almost religious enthusiasm some people have for this therapy. I am a realist at heart mind!

Hope you got something good out of it, I know it takes a lot to take the plunge. :thup:

Stu, I didn't know you had a stammer, I've suffered myself to varying degrees. It doesn't really rule my life like with some people, but it's inconvenient sometimes. I know a bit about the McGuire programme and have considered it before.

I ended up going on the Starfish Project instead a few years ago. It uses the same breathing technique and limited words per breath. I found it really useful but I still struggle to put it into practice every day. It's great to know I have something I can use and work on though.

There is a vocal community of people who found this stuff life-changing, but I'm also interested in the people who didn't and never say anything. The thing I found was that I didn't share a lot of the feelings of self-hatred that some sufferers have, either through dumb luck or because my stammer isn't as severe as some. Because of that I found it hard to relate to a lot of the surrounding conversations and couldn't quite buy in to the almost religious enthusiasm some people have for this therapy. I am a realist at heart mind!

Hope you got something good out of it, I know it takes a lot to take the plunge. :thup:

I met quite a few of the 'evangelical' types when I first joined the programme...I'm lucky enough to have had access to something like this at a relatively early age, I can not imagine what life would be like going through to your 40s/50s trapped without the freedom to express yourself properly. No wonder these are the ones who are so enthusiastic about it, they've literally (Jamie Redknapp) been given a new life.

Never heard of Starfish until after McGuire, is that the one where you go to a country farm house/pub for a few days?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/085/283/philosoraptor.jpg?1291090164

I met quite a few of the 'evangelical' types when I first joined the programme...I'm lucky enough to have had access to something like this at a relatively early age, I can not imagine what life would be like going through to your 40s/50s trapped without the freedom to express yourself properly. No wonder these are the ones who are so enthusiastic about it, they've literally (Jamie Redknapp) been given a new life.

Never heard Starfish until after McGuire, is that the one where you go to a country farm house/pub for a few days?

Yeah I understand their joy, I was in tears nearly the whole time at the stuff I was seeing! People who couldn't manage a sentence  at the beginning and talking about reading their kids a story at the end. I was in bits. My only issue was that there wasn't really any opportunity to express your own views or your own feelings - time was short and technique/practice was everything.

Indeed it's amazing to take some action in your twenties or earlier if possible. I think we live in much more enlightened times now, I've seen a big change in my lifetime. Thanks to Gareth and stuff like the Kings Speech etc.

Aye, Starfish is in a country hotel north of Bournemouth. It's a lot cheaper than McGuire, which is mainly why I went! It's run by one woman and her husband and staffed by ex-pupils who return to help out. Really amazing initiative really.

:lol:

Fair point, I felt like a knob even posting that.  :blush:

Don't worry, I would have thought the same!

It is mental though, I couldn't sleep the entire time I was there, the adrenalin is unreal. For me it was seeing other people transformed that was most incredible, especially the younger ones who felt so bad about themselves.

The tough part is obviously when you get home and out into the real world though, that's when the technique and the mindset is tested. Have to admit I should apply it more.

Aye, Ian's spot-on If you watch the programme, the new student 'Shafi' (Mohammed) was the one I was 'mentoring'...by the second/third day he wouldn't shut up! :lol: sound lad, mind.

Also, if there's anyone lurking or anyone's knows someone who might get something out of the programme, the next UK North course is going to be held in our very own city:

18 Apr 2012 - 22 Apr 2012, Newcastle upon Tyne

http://www.mcguireprogramme.com/courses.php

My best mate at school killed himself after having the piss ripped out of him by cruel work colleagues for stammering.

:(

Horrible it ever gets to that stage. I was lucky that I had a lot of support from friends and family, and I rarely bothered about the few people who took the piss. And in the last 10 years I think awareness has got a lot better too.

Tragic that though.

My best mate at school killed himself after having the piss ripped out of him by cruel work colleagues for stammering.

:(

Horrible it ever gets to that stage. I was lucky that I had a lot of support from friends and family, and I rarely bothered about the few people who took the piss. And in the last 10 years I think awareness has got a lot better too.

Tragic that though.

I think and, more to the point, hope you're right. Strangely enough, hanging around with him caused me to copy his stutter...you know, I didn't do it intentionally or anything , but for 3 or 4 months when I was 12 or 13, I actually "caught" for want of a better word, his stammer.

Old school (I can't even view youtube at work but I know what it is :lol:)

That's a classic throwback to my teens that. :lol:

Anyway, I've always had immense admiration for people who overcome speech difficulties like stammers.

Until now. ;)

I never knew you had a stammer either! You just seemed like a right confident knob jockey (in a nice way) :lol:

Ha, I thought this too. :lol:

I've been doing quite a bit of research for my history of medicine module about shell shock and PTSD and that kind of thing, and it's thrown up a fair few interesting documents from different periods about the treatment of stammers and speech impediments, whether induced from war trauma or just developed by other means from a young age. The awareness these days is imo pretty good, and I'll certainly be watching the Gareth Gates programme on the iplayer when I get the chance :thup:

Aye, Ian's spot-on If you watch the programme, the new student 'Shafi' (Mohammed) was the one I was 'mentoring'...by the second/third day he wouldn't shut up! :lol: sound lad, mind.

Also, if there's anyone lurking or anyone's knows someone who might get something out of the programme, the next UK North course is going to be held in our very own city:

18 Apr 2012 - 22 Apr 2012, Newcastle upon Tyne

http://www.mcguireprogramme.com/courses.php

You have that effect on people

I make people relaxed enough to talk all night?

:lol: Yeah, I thought it was a weak insult. I was meaning more that they talk at you in frustration and disbelief. Never mind.

:p figured you were aiming in that direction

I never knew you had a stammer either! You just seemed like a right confident knob jockey (in a nice way) :lol:

Ha, I thought this too. :lol:

Probably down to being brought up on "the Keegan years" - attack being the best form of defence ;) :D let the other team worry about their shortcomings before they get a chance to exploit yours, etc., etc.

Cheers to all who are watching - even if there's just one person who is helped by this, it'll be worth it.