A quick question for the foreigners....

madras

......about the Tyne wear derby.

I was just wondering about how it's portrayed by local (to you)commentators etc. Is anything made of the history of the animosity going beyond football and back through the centuries ?

Yes, it is. It's not like they run page length articles on it (and the derby isn't featured as strongly as it used to be back in your heyday), but there's mention of the history between both cities in the previews of the games. This kind of stuff always spices up football derbies anyway, a good journalist will highlight it.

Not much in the big papers before the match here in Norway.

But during the buildup on the PL studio on TV here in Norway they seems to know what its all about. Talking much about the history, and usually have a short build up movie interviewing locals who tells the story about the clubs, and why the derby is so fierce.

Some of the Norwegian commentators/experts say its the best derby in the UK, or perhaps the world.

Just remember one of the guys in the studio, funny guy who just love this derby, his name is Aleksander Schau. He was asked to describe the Tyne-wear derby.

He said it was like being at a family dinner, then to find two of your uncles fighting, naked.

It was very ugly and brutal, but at the same time extremely fascinating. He said it was impossible to not watch :lol:

I nearly feel of my chair when i said that.  ;D

But during the buildup on the PL studio on TV here in Norway they seems to know what its all about. Talking much about the history, and usually have a short build up movie interviewing locals who tells the story about the clubs, and why the derby is so fierce.

Some of the experts say its the best derby in the UK, or maybe the world.

Just remember one of the guys in the studio, funny guy who just love this derby, his name is Aleksander Schau. He was asked to describe the Tyne-wear derby.

He said it was like being to a family dinner, then to find two of your uncles fighting, naked.

It was very ugly and brutal, but at the same time extremely fascinating. He said it was impossible to not watch :lol:

:lol: That's brilliant.

Many Swedes usually go over for it and I know that's the case this year as well. The media do all the clichés about "coal mine workers and no shirts, you won't get it elsewhere" etc, but in recent years more experts seem to have gathered better understanding of the rivalry. Instead of inviting Andreas Andersson they are now talking to people who have actually been to derbies and know about the history of the cities and clubs.

I think the fact that Sunderlands fanbase in Sweden has increased has fuelled these occasions among supporters, despite few of us having any real local connection. Last year there was a lot of banter on Swedish forums and us in charge of the Swedish fansite caused mayhem by writing several provoking pieces in relation to the 5-1 demolition. My pre-match report in August was called "Cheer up Steve Bruce, what can ten new players mean?". I have saved about 50 comments from Swedish mackems making different promises about what to do to themselves if they didn't manage to finish above us etc. Will come in handy for this weekend. :lol:

Some of the Norwegian commentators/experts say its the best derby in the UK, or perhaps the world.

He said it was like being to a family dinner, then to find two of your uncles fighting, naked.

I agree, they actually seem to build it up as one of the bigger matches in PL. Which always is nice, possibly the only thing TV2 does right.

Fucking inviting liverpool-cunts all the time..

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Man, I'm not sure if I'm shocked or not that the foreign sports press put more importance on this rivalry than UK National Press do.  :lol:

Man, I'm not sure if I'm shocked or not that the foreign sports press put more importance on this rivalry than UK National Press do.  :lol:

In the UK the match sells itself maybe.

In foreign countries its not that known derby to the common man i guess.

So i think they put a little extra around to match to get more viewers.

But i have to say its fun to see they guys in the studio talk so much about the match ,and it sounds like they genuinely love this derby.

In the UK the match sells itself maybe.

In foreign countries its not that known derby to the common man i guess.

So i think they put a little extra around to match to get more viewers.

But i have to say its fun to see they guys in the studio talk so much about the match ,and it sounds like they genuinely love this derby.

Aye, that's the case. When selling games to a foreign audience you have to put more stuff on the table to make them attractive to viewers, stuff that local fans already know/take for granted.

Well there deffinately seems to be better coverage in other countries , any one remember when Paul Merson said he didn't think Newcastle-Sunderland was that big of a deal, and tried saying it was because "It's never been on Sky Sports and Sky Sports get all the big games". To think other countries get an in depth insight in to the derby is surprising when pundits in this country don't seem to have a clue, highlights the type of people, laziness and ignorance we get from people who cover our football  over here.

Guest hatem garrincha

......about the Tyne wear derby.

I was just wondering about how it's portrayed by local (to you)commentators etc. Is anything made of the history of the animosity going beyond football and back through the centuries ?

No.

If it's on ESPN and we get Ian Darke / Steve McManaman commenting you'll hear a bit about it - no history lesson on the centuries of hatred but more on the football.

If it's on Fox Soccer Channel we'll get Warren Barton with some obviously biased views and not much else. 

Switzerland:

If you want to watch the premier league at home, you need payperview.

They just show the match from sky with german commentary (terrible :knuppel2:).

He will mention the importance of the derby. But he usually just say “Tyne and Wear Derby “about 15 times during the match.

You’ve got no real build up before or after the game. Just a short talk about 5 min before kick off.

But that applies for the premier league in general.

Well you know, they show Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga and Axpo Super league matches (+ Ice hockey) live so there’s no time for such build up’s at all.

EDIT: May depend on the payerview provider, I don't know every one here

If it's on ESPN and we get Ian Darke / Steve McManaman commenting you'll hear a bit about it - no history lesson on the centuries of hatred but more on the football.

If it's on Fox Soccer Channel we'll get Warren Barton with some obviously biased views and not much else. 

It's on Fox Soccer Plus, and at 7am. They may run 1 commercial for it, and they'll have no build up pre-match. If it was on FSC, it'd be 30 minutes of Warren Barton praying for a Newcastle victory, and the other guys taking the piss.

In Iceland the derby is talked about, i.e. it's mentioned that it's a derby, but little more than that. The Man Utd/Man City, Spurs/Arsenal, Liverpool/Man Utd, Liverpool/Everton rivalries are far more discussed and advertised.

Cyprus:

Big derby yada yada

Not as big as Liverpool - Everton or Manchester derby yada yada (which they never seem to fail to mention when talking about the Tyne-Wear)

They also always like to remind the viewers that cypriot legend Nick Papavasiliou "starred" for Newkkasol, as did legendary cypriot league player and coach Temuri Ketsbaia.

In Bulgaria, they'd usually invite a Newcastle fan in the studio and just discuss us.. mainly because nobody has heard of Sunderland here. Their stature here is comparable to Wigan's or Bolton's - a dull team that nobody gives a f*** about. In that sense, the coverage is similar to UK's..

And aye, I'd say that our games with the other big clubs are more widely-advertised / talked about than the derby..