Putin

Parky

Tens of thousands of Muscovites rallied against Vladimir Putin’s regime on Saturday, defying expectations that the protest movement was losing steam or would be kept indoors by temperatures of minus 20C.

Organisers said more than 160,000 attended the rally, on Bolotnaya square 800m from the Kremlin, though the consensus was 60,000 – 100,000. Organisers had given themselves the goal of at least equalling the turnout at the last major rally, on December 24, which numbered up to 100,000"

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8cda996e-4f40-11e1-bc30-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1nlYmyMWe

What's going on here?

Another mask slipping?  :frantic:

The average russian person is probs sick of all the corruption as well.

I fucking hate russia. toss pot country.

There is that of course as there is in any country (some achilies heel). Word is Russia is blocking the attack on Iran and the PTB don't like it.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1649498661128&id=715a571d44b036f6d8c360fd28de88fb

http://www.brookings.edu/events/2008/0310_putin.aspx

"Dr. Brzezinski began by exploring the psychological motivations for Vladimir Putin’s policies. The earliest indication of political change was Putin’s declaration in his annual address to the Federal Assembly in 2005 that the collapse of the Soviet Union was “the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the twentieth century.” This was in stark contrast to Mikhail Gorbachev and Boris Yeltsin who had welcomed the dissolution of the Soviet behemoth. A product of the KGB, Putin not only maintained basic loyalty to the organization, but was also a part of a younger generation of siloviki who sought to re-establish the country’s status on the world stage. Since the KGB had attracted the ablest and most ambitious of the Soviet elite, Putin had little trouble surrounding himself with loyal and effective leaders whose thirst for power and prestige was stronger than those of any other cluster of post-Soviet officialdom. Putin’s half-hearted condemnation of Stalinism and his brutal policy in Chechnya, Brzezinski argued, grew out of this mindset. The policy aimed to reconsolidate the demoralized security apparatus while channeling Russian nationalism toward undemocratic xenophobia."

This geezer is Obadman's top advisor.

Still a wanker though, as the old saying goes, to much power corrupts. The Finns seem to worried about him just a bit, as the Russians lately have been moving mobile missile units along the Finnish border. They told the Finns it was to counter missiles attacking Russia.  In another words we are protecting ourselves against the Yanks.

The series on the BBC about him is well worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Should still be on iplayer.

Is it anywhere else? Can't get i player to work abroad.

It's on YouTube - just search Putin and the West, failing that try tv-links.eu

The series on the BBC about him is well worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Should still be on iplayer.

Is it anywhere else? Can't get i player to work abroad.

It's on YouTube - just search Putin and the West, failing that try tv-links.eu

Whilst I won't deny it's interesting it, it's still a blatant piece of propaganda from an increasingly untrustworthy BBC.

Propaganda in what way? Didn't exactly show him in a good light for the main part (Eg Georgia) I'm no expert on Putin/Russian politics mind although it is something I should read more about as it fascinates me.

Propaganda in what way? Didn't exactly show him in a good light for the main part (Eg Georgia) I'm no expert on Putin/Russian politics mind although it is something I should read more about as it fascinates me.

There you are, right there.  It's a demonisation process.  Instead of highlighting the corruption in other countries, perhaps the BBC could serve its pay masters, i.e. us lot, more by highlighting the hideous levels of corruption in our own system.  Or perhaps they are just serving their new political masters.

For the record, I think he's an evil, corrupt cunt, despite his many hilarities.  Still, it's the classic game of distraction.  Look how corrupt THEY are, whilst WE sit and fuck you over in silence.

There you are, right there.  It's a demonisation process.  Instead of highlighting the corruption in other countries, perhaps the BBC could serve its pay masters, i.e. us lot, more by highlighting the hideous levels of corruption in our own system.  Or perhaps they are just serving their new political masters.

For the record, I think he's an evil, corrupt cunt, despite his many hilarities.  Still, it's the classic game of distraction.  Look how corrupt THEY are, whilst WE sit and fuck you over in silence.

Nailed.

...and get on with eating those insects. :lol:

Kicking off

Riot Police Clear Anti-Putin Protesters

Riot police are clearing protests against Russia's new President Vladimir Putin after his disputed election win, with opposition leaders reportedly being seized.

Opposition figurehead Alexei Navalny has been detained in Moscow, as have Eduard Limonov, an opposition leader of the Other Russia movement, and about 50 of his supporters.

Earlier, in Russia's second city of St Petersburg, police have reportedly arrested dozens of protesters from a demonstration of about 1,500 people, including local deputies from the liberal Yabloko party.

Opposition leaders have accused the authorities of widespread fraud and claim many people were allowed to cast multiple votes.

But speaking at a rally attended by tens of thousands of supporters outside the Kremlin in Moscow, an apparently tearful Mr Putin insisted it had been an "open and honest" contest.

The victory party began the moment the polls closed despite the vote not being fully counted.

In freezing conditions, a crowd of around 100,000 filled the streets in the heart of the capital, waving Russian flags and cheering for their new president.

Mr Putin's spokesman, Dmitry Peskov said the freezing wind was responsible for the tears but there was clearly strong emotion behind the new president's words.

Later, via webcam, he thanked workers in a remote region saying they had managed to defeat those who had "insulted the working man", presumably referring to the protest movement.

The 59-year-old former KGB spy picked up almost 64% of the vote - enough to avoid a run-off against the second-placed candidate. Independent monitoring website Golos reported thousands of allegations of cheating putting his actual figure at 50%.

More at http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16182345