Hoof ball

madras

Just wanted to play the role (which I like to think is my role in this place) of the boy who points out that the king is in the altogether, someone say something and for some reason everyone goes along with it....here goes (working backwards)

Wolves... far too much long ball

Spurs... not long ball, not anything really

Villa...no long ball, mish mash of play, some short some long.

Blackburn...didn't see it but under the kosh and hit on the break so possibly.

Brighton...no long ball really,may have been better doing that.

Fulham...dominted first half with tidy football, ba/cisse could have seen us out of sight, second half defensive collapse, not long ball.

QPR... best wide left, if naything overplayed stuff, not long ball.

Blackburn....a few changes but not long ball

Man utd... 2 goals came from long balls, overall the play wasn't, in fact looking back i'm amazed at how much we played the ball from the back after winning it off them (we do seem to have a problem starting off short from krul, though not necerssarily because of krul)

Liverpool....long ball.

do i need to go back further to dispel the myth ?

But we play the ugliest football in the league, Pardew must go. Blah blah blah.

But we're 6th, Blah blah blah.

Well we are. Yes, we could play prettier football. If we're sitting here and the end of the season having dropped out of the european spots and playing horrific football then, yeah, kick up a fuss. But there's nowhere near as much as a problem as so many on here seem only too keen to create.

Well we are. Yes, we could play prettier football. If we're sitting here and the end of the season having dropped out of the european spots and playing horrific football then, yeah, kick up a fuss. But there's nowhere near as much as a problem as so many on here seem only too keen to create.

Nobody on here creates the football that's moaned about.

Does no one remember the bad run we were on at the time of Pardew's sacking ?

A terrible run of defeats including a cup loss at Chesterfield and then a battering at Bolton.

I was glad he left.

He had one good season when he was at the club which was the year we were back in the Premiership and took the game to teams....like Newcastle are doing now."

"Fuck knows how someone who did nothing but fail and get sacked whilst stepping down the football league ladder then blagged himself a job in the Premiership again. Seems bizarre. "

I think he knew Ashley beforehand. Not sure how but he had a connection to him and Dennis Wise.

In any case, I don't think he got the job because of his managerial record, whatever you think about it."

How they would fit into the team?

Here's how:

Tevez - up front

Mascherano - in midfield

They're both world class players. Pretty much better than anyone we've had in the last decade.

You put them in their correct positions, then build the team around them.

Or you play Daily instead. :lol:

I have different memories of Pardew....

Pardew took over from Brooking who had us in the promotion places at the time....and he strenghtened the team with some good Championship players but somehow finished a few places below from where he took over after some bad form

The next season was much the same, he had the best squad and very nearly fucked it up and finished outside the play offs...if Zamora hadn't had so many death threats from Brighton fans and rejected Dowie and Palace when Pardew tired to flog him......i dread to think where we'd have ended up. (Zamora away to Stoke anyone?)

The next season Pardew did very well, his tactics and signings were spot on.

Unfortunately all that hard work in his 3rd year was undone the season he was sacked because he didn't have a clue what his best line up was and must have tried about 4 or 5 fomations at the start of the season (for example we played wing backs at Watford away)

He had a decent squad at Charlton but he kept buying the wrong players (Izale McLeod cost them a lot of money and he did absolutely fuck all) I knew a Charlton season ticket holder and he hated Pardew for that.

At Southampton he took over after the takeover and spent a lot of money. I got chatting to some southampton fans on a train once and they told me that Pardew's squad was one of the most expensive in terms of wages outside the Premiership yet he struggled to mount decent form to push on for automatic promotion. I know they had points deducted but they didn't even make the play offs!

KUMB

Why do you think people are lying about what they're seeing then, madras?

i don't think people watch enough, thats why they think we play hoof ball all the time, play a high line all the time, someone says it and  many go along with....emperors new clothes.

fwiw i'd say a lot of our recent stuff has been disjointed much more than the hoof ball mooted about.

The football we're served isn't half as bad as it's made out to be. I'd love us to be the Barcelona of the north east, but I'll settle for what's on offer so far this season so long as we keep performing.

Why do you think people are lying about what they're seeing then, madras?

i don't think people watch enough, thats why they think we play hoof ball all the time, play a high line all the time, someone says it and  many go along with....emperors new clothes.

I personally don't think we play hoofball all the time as such but that we play it far too much.  Are a few players in there that clearly hit and hope almost every time they get the ball, e.g. Simpson, Williamson, Ryan Taylor, and Krul's always just blasting the ball up without a doubt.

Bit insulting to suggest it's to do with "going along with the crowd". Every week at home I find myself bellowing at Krul and the back four to keep it on the ground but again and again, I just see it pumped at the front pair.

fwiw i'd say a lot of our recent stuff has been disjointed much more than the hoof ball mooted about.

Disjointed is the word but we're talking semantics in that case, I think the general point is that it's not good.

Mixture of long balls, sloppy passes, lack of movement.

The football we're served isn't half as bad as it's made out to be. I'd love us to be the Barcelona of the north east, but I'll settle for what's on offer so far this season so long as we keep performing.

Has anybody told you not to settle for it?

Bit insulting to suggest it's to do with "going along with the crowd". Every week at home I find myself bellowing at Krul and the back four to keep it on the ground but again and again, I just see it pumped at the front pair.

Apparently there's some cockney down the front shouting Hit Ba! Hit Ba!  ;)

I sincerely sympathise with this viewpoint, and actually understand the frustration felt, but disagree. The results will eventually follow the performances IMO.

Agree with Madras 100%, there is always some 'buzz word' when it comes to us tbh. This is why some players will leave us and miraculously come good (Parker, Milner etc..) despite being 'fucking awful' when they are here.

Players/Managers/Playing styles will pick up these 'buzz words' and be branded as such until they leave. Even when they leave some will never accept they might actually be decent.

It's the same with foreign players who have some sort of romanticism about them despite not getting much of a chance which is the clubs/managers fault (Viana, Luque, Xisco etc..).

Oh and while I am on this box, keepers not being able to kick has been a bug bear for as long as I can remember, I can't actually remember a keeper who has been good in distributing the ball :dontknow:

as i pointed out we have played it about, especially against man utd, not necessarily from krul, i pointed that out. QPR,Villa, we have gone long when we shouldn;t have...we've also went short when we shouldn't have....going long HASN'T been the overiding tactic.

Agree with Madras 100%, there is always some 'buzz word' when it comes to us tbh. This is why some players will leave us and miraculously come good (Parker, Milner etc..) despite being 'fucking awful' when they are here.

Players/Managers/Playing styles will pick up these 'buzz words' and be branded as such until they leave. Even when they leave some will never accept they might actually be decent.

It's the same with foreign players who have some sort of romanticism about them despite not getting much of a chance which is the clubs/managers fault (Viana, Luque, Xisco etc..).

Viana wasn't a Dm, Luque was injured in the war it seemed and Xisco was gay.

I think we are simply not playing very well at the moment and, as has been pointed out, we play in a disjointed fashion.

In no way do I believe that Pardew's instructions to the players are to whack it long all the time (which we don't anyway, but again a bandwagon has rolled into town..) but that the speculative balls stem from a lack of confidence and lack of belief.

Viana wasn't a Dm, Luque was injured in the war it seemed and Xisco was gay.

Nah Xisco had a clause which meant we could only play him in absolute desperate situations, like when we are absolutely hammering Villa which meant we needed to use his last sub appearance or bust.

Guest palnese

, I can't actually remember a keeper who has been good in distributing the ball :dontknow:

For us, or in general?

Reina is brilliant with the ball. De Gea is decent too.