Computer Scams

Mikky

Just had this Indian bloke ring me, saying he was from Microsoft and that he needed to do some check on my PC i.e. my computer had been found to have errors on it. Basically he wanted me to download a piece of software AMMYY.com or something to that effect: I had cottoned on that something wasn't right so I went along with it but didn't download anything thankfully. Just did some google searches on these lot and it turns out they're scammers!! Ba$stards  :lol:

Question is how do I make sure that my PC is safe? I'm not really an expert on these things.....  :undecided:

Get them phoning all the time now.. just tell them you don't have a computer and they soon hang up.

Download AVG or superantispyware and do a check, that's all I do and I can't remember the last time I had a virus or issues with my PC.

I've had them call me on two occasions, on the first I just shouted at the bloke and told him to fuck off, but on the second I did what my dad does and said "Hang on a minute whilst I turn the computer on." then simply put the phone down on the table and left them hanging on until they got bored and hung up.