WOW!

madras

anyone looking at the night sky in the west end at 2143 tonight ?

I just saw, what I guess was the clearest meteor I've ever seen. originally thought it was a firework but it just kept on going and going. beautiful and breathtaking.

also, i'm completly sober, we were returning from that light thing at the coast.

I didn't see it but apparently its direction was from NE to S.

Some describe it as breaking up which may suggest a satellite.

See lots when you're out all night for months...but not happy I missed this as apparently it was low.

Sound about right, Madras?

spot on, looked to be burning up more than breaking up. very much like a firework with it's trail but too high, too quick and travelling too far.

i often work out in the bleak dark countryside through the night and see plenty of meteors but nothing like this. where did you get the report from ?

See lots when you're out all night for months...but not happy I missed this as apparently it was low.

spot on, looked to be burning up more than breaking up. very much like a firework with it's trail but too high, too quick and travelling too far.

i often work out in the bleak dark countryside through the night and see plenty of meteors but nothing like this. where did you get the report from ?

A few observers/astronomers. They've all said it's the biggest they've seen and some have been in this game over 30 years.

I missed it.

:fuuu:

as i'd said we'd been down the coast to see that light instillation thing, loads of cameras pointed at the sky, meanwhile a dozen miles inland and hardly anyone to see it.

A few observers/astronomers. They've all said it's the biggest they've seen and some have been in this game over 30 years.

I missed it.

:fuuu:

as i'd said we'd been down the coast to see that light instillation thing, loads of cameras pointed at the sky, meanwhile a dozen miles inland and hardly anyone to see it.

:lol: Yeh. Probably preoccupied. Not much difference in its position over a couple of miles. A few of the guys I know have said the same thing and one of them is in Devon.

There's plenty people piping up now, though. Should be images galore too. It's a clear night and 1000s of people are out there photographing the stars. I expect a few would have got it.

You've been very lucky to see it. :thup:

pass on any links to foto's of it please.

Police flooded with calls after meteor seen in North sky

By Matt McKenzie

Mar 4 2012

inShare

POLICE in the North have been inundated with calls after what is believed to be a meteor was spotted in the sky.

Reports of a "bright light" and an "orange glow" were received by police across Scotland and the north of England around 9.40pm.

The Met Office tweeted: "Hi All, for anyone seeing something in the night sky, we believe it was a meteorite."

A Durham Police spokeswoman said a number of calls came in around 9.45pm from concerned members of public who had seen a "bright light or a fire in the sky" and believed it may have been incidents involving an aircraft.

"It has been confirmed with air traffic control that there are no incidents of aircraft in difficult and nothing registered on radar," she said.

"The sightings are believed to be either an asteroid burning out or similar which has been restricted to the upper atmosphere only."

A spokesman for Strathclyde Police said the force had been "inundated" with calls about a bright object in the sky across the west of Scotland.

Grampian Police said reports of people seeing a ``flare or a bright object with a tail" were received from across the region.

And Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary said numerous calls were made about a "large ball of fire in the sky" across Annandale and Eskdale. One user wrote on the force’s Facebook page: "It was awesome to see! Really big and bright!"

Hundreds of people took to Twitter to report similar sightings across Scotland and the north of England.

People described seeing a bright fireball moving across the sky with a large tail.

The Kielder Observatory also reported the sighting of a "huge fireball" travelling from north to south over Northumberland at 9.41pm.

The Observatory posted on Twitter: "Of 30 years observing the sky £fireball best thing I have ever seen period."

As the Sunday Sun went to press, readers called our Newcastle newsroom to report what they'd seen.

Susan Hudson, who lives in Winlaton, Gateshead, saw an "unbelievable" sight while out walking her dog.

She said: "It was a comet, it was travelling at a fantastic speed. It looked like a burning ball with a long tail, a flaming tail.

"It was unbelievable, really, really bright and orangey red."

Dale Sedgwick also witnessed the shower as he drove through Newcastle.

He said: "It streaked all across the sky. It looked like a rocket going up."

Social network site Twitter carried Tweets from people across the country who’d seen the comet.

Coastguard officials confirmed last night they had been contacted about several sightings of a comet or meteor shower.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2012/03/04/police-flooded-with-calls-after-meteor-seen-in-north-sky-61634-30454643/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1o6d6h0Jv