Arsenal vs Newcastle United - 12/03/12 @ 8pm (live on Sky) - pre-match thread

Dave

Krul

Simpson  Williamson  Colo  Santon

Cabaye

Raylor        Tiote      Jonas

Ba      Cisse

Another Anfield type performance and comfortable win for them. Please surprise me Alan.

I'd like to see:

Krul

Santon      Will      Colo      Raylor

Tiote    Cabaye    Guthrie

Ben Arfa                                      Jonas

Ba

He won't move Santon to right back but I think sticking Ba on his own up front with Jonas/Ben Arfa supporting and Cabaye pushing forward with Tiote/Guthrie to mop up. A 4-5-1 that gives us protection for the defence and support against their mobile midfield but enough in attck to create. I'd like to see Ferguson get some time too, he's very direct.

I really wish we had decent fullbacks, was Santon subbed due to injury or tactical?

As surely if he was not injured then moving him to RB and subbing Simpson was a better idea.

ANYWAY

Must starts

Krul

Colo

Willi

Tiote

Cabaye

Jonas

HBA

Cissse

Ba

You pick the other two starters and formation.

I hope Pardew remember Spurs and don't play 4-4-2

Must say that I'm inclined to agree on this occasion, would go for a front 6 of Jonas-Tiote-Cabaye-Guthrie-HBA-Ba, with the wingers supporting Ba and Cisse a great option for later on.

Tiote, Cabaye & HBA, compared to Perch, Guthrie & Obertan at WHL...it's a massive difference. 4-4-2's fine for me as long as the right players play, and they play how they can.

True, I won't be pissed off if we go for 442 or owt, just think the occasion perhaps calls for more men in midfield and that's what I'd go for.

4-4-2 wouldn't be so bad this time round imo. The thing with the Spurs game was that our CM pairing of Guthrie-Perch was pretty much weak as p*ss which, against Parker and Modric, was never going to go well. Guthrie and Perch needed an extra bit of help then so an extra midfielder (the 4-5-1) would have made sense.

But the Cabaye-Tiote CM pairing is a lot stronger than the Guthrie-Perch one (no disrespect to Danny and James) so we should have just about enough in CM to handle Arsenal's midfield (I hope so anyway).

Guest BooBoo

We'll only have enough if Cabaye steps it up at least two gears. Tiote came to the fore yesterday, now it's Yohan's turn because his recent form has been poor- average since the turn of the year.

I'd like to see:

Krul

Simpson      Will      Colo      Santon

Tiote    Jonas    Cabaye

Ben Arfa                                      Ba

Cisse

FTFY

O0

well it's Pardew's previous attempt of getting HBA into the team....this time with Ba on the left of a front three (where he has played for WHU before, iirc) instead of Best

4-4-2 wouldn't be so bad this time round imo. The thing with the Spurs game was that our CM pairing of Guthrie-Perch was pretty much weak as p*ss which, against Parker and Modric, was never going to go well. Guthrie and Perch needed an extra bit of help then so an extra midfielder (the 4-5-1) would have made sense.

But the Cabaye-Tiote CM pairing is a lot stronger than the Guthrie-Perch one (no disrespect to Danny and James) so we should have just about enough in CM to handle Arsenal's midfield (I hope so anyway).

The problem with it is not only personnel if we have Cisse and Ba up front we tend to hoof the pall a lot. If we play HBA on 5 man midfield it will be better.

The only variation of 4-3-3 i want to see( even tho its more of a 4-3-1-2 ) is this......

Krul

Santon Williamson Colo Raylor

Cabaye Tiote Jonas

HBA

Cisse Ba

The reason being is because it allows us fluidly go back into a 4-4-2 if needed, but there is one major flaw with this formation.....

It needs 2 quality fullbacks to work, and atm we only have one  :(

The problem with it is not only personnel if we have Cisse and Ba up front we tend to hoof the pall a lot. If we play HBA on 5 man midfield it will be better.

So what, we spend £10m on a striker and only play him 20 games a season or whatever because there's 5-6 teams we should play 4-5-1 against plus the ACoN? It's daft.