Arsenal vs Newcastle United - 12/03/12 @ 8pm (live on Sky) - pre-match thread

Dave

4-4-2 wouldn't be so bad this time round imo. The thing with the Spurs game was that our CM pairing of Guthrie-Perch was pretty much weak as p*ss which, against Parker and Modric, was never going to go well. Guthrie and Perch needed an extra bit of help then so an extra midfielder (the 4-5-1) would have made sense.

But the Cabaye-Tiote CM pairing is a lot stronger than the Guthrie-Perch one (no disrespect to Danny and James) so we should have just about enough in CM to handle Arsenal's midfield (I hope so anyway).

It's a nice thought but remember Wolves dominated us with the extra man in there? I would not risk it.

Why does anyone think Jonas should play centrally?  :lol:

TBF his skillset is more suited to a central role than a winger role; close control, work rate, accurate passing......

Atleast in theory it should work purely based on Jonas attributes as a player plus i mentioned that system because Jonas and Ben Arfa are both experienced in winger roles you could easily change to a 4-4-2 without changing anything at all.

It's a very fluid system which i think would suit our players. It might not work, but in theory with 2 good fullbacks it should do.

Jonas and his accurate passing, what?

He has almost none of the attributes required to play in that position, besides work rate.

How often does he give the ball away through passing? not very often iam aware his passes are usually ones of little risk but thats all that would be required of him in that role.

Guest Heneage

It's perfectly possible to play 4-4-2 and still have a solid midfield against a 3. Man Utd do it on a weekly basis and we did it ourselves at the Emirates last season.

Just means one of the two strikers drops deep to make 5 without the ball, before going back to 4-4-2 when you do have it.

It's perfectly possible to play 4-4-2 and still have a solid midfield against a 3. Man Utd do it on a weekly basis and we did it ourselves at the Emirates last season.

Just means one of the two strikers drops deep to make 5 without the ball, before going back to 4-4-2 when you do have it.

:thup: Shola did it impeccably last season there and Ba's more than capable of doing similar.

Jonas and his accurate passing, what?

He has almost none of the attributes required to play in that position, besides work rate.

How often does he give the ball away through passing? not very often iam aware his passes are usually ones of little riskbut thats all that would be required of him in that role.

That's pretty key man. There are no players in the premier league who do not have a high short pass completion rate. Jonas is a poor passer of the ball and has poor vision.

Agree with that actually, the problem is Ba has'nt been doing much recently as much as he was before AFCON and therefore leaving Cabaye and Tiote a bit exposed.

That's pretty key man. There are no players in the premier league who do not have a high short pass completion rate. Jonas is a poor passer of the ball and has poor vision.

That's what Cabaye and Ben Arfa are for  O0

:thup: Shola did it impeccably last season there and Ba's more than capable of doing similar.

Spot on regarding both. Shola has always enjoyed dropping deep and starting an attack and Ba likes doing it too.

The front 6 should be anchored by Tiote, with Jonas and Ben Arfa given freedom to roam the wings/switch sides/come into the center of the park and Cabaye keeping it ticking between Tiote, the wingers, and the two strikers (Cisse and Ba).  Essentially just having a very fluid front five being anchored by Tiote.

Jonas had one alreet there when called upon. Last time he and Ben Arfa played together with them working fluidly, it was great. I would honestly try anything than persist with limited player and fearful tactics.

Jonas was given a free role and completed a lot of short passes, and that it, he did not create 1 chance. That's not good enough when you have a free role. Why anyone would give someone with little to no end product this free role is beyond me.    :idiot2:

Not saying its my first choice like, just don't think it's that ridiculous. The standard of football was better when he and Ben Arfa played in that style in that instance. Have no clue about the stats regarding chances but definitely seemed to produce more incisive and possession based football.

Not saying its my first choice like, just don't think it's that ridiculous. The standard of football was better when he and Ben Arfa played in that style in that instance. Have no clue about the stats regarding chances but definitely seemed to produce more incisive and possession based football.

Poor fullbacks.. don't use them

:D

-------------------Krul

--------Perch-----Willi-------Colo--------

Sant--------------------------------Jonas

------------Cab-----------Tiote

-------------------HBA

---------Cisse-----------------Ba

You want to play Jonas in a free central role?

-------------------Krul

-------------------HBA

I appreciate you creativity Skirge but that formation........no, just no :laugh:

-------------------Krul

-------------------HBA

I appreciate you creativity Skirge but that formation........no, just no :laugh:

I actually wouldnt mind it if Taylor was fit so he could replace Perch, but seeing as Perch is there its a massive no go.

I wouldn't mind seeing Perch in for Williamson. Williamson is really awful- him and Simpson (the latter more so) are so glaringly obvious the weak links in our other very competent team.

Jesus.