Arsenal vs Newcastle United - 12/03/12 @ 8pm (live on Sky) - pre-match thread

Dave

I wouldn't mind seeing Perch in for Williamson. Williamson is really awful- him and Simpson (the latter more so) are so glaringly obvious the weak links in our other very competent team.

Jesus.

he's got a point, perch isn't the answer to it though.

We decided against buying an answer.

have a proper answer in the summer hopefully.

Not sure, depends how Taylor comes back. He won't accept being third choice IMO. I was assuming all these links with big money signings like Vertonghen were if Coloccini was off. We need a good young player to push Williamson down the pecking order.

starting perch at centre-half is like giving the opposite a goal head-start. fucking awful man.

saying that when he has to defend on the floor he can do a half-decent job - anything overly physical and aerial and he falls to pieces - but arsenal aren't exactly famed for those things. expect williamson to be a bit of a liability but he's surely better than perch. you'd hope with cabaye and tiote protecting the back four we should be able to form a solid enough unit even with willow in there.

Not sure, depends how Taylor comes back. He won't accept being third choice IMO. I was assuming all these links with big money signings like Vertonghen were if Coloccini was off. We need a good young player to push Williamson down the pecking order.

if we want to be the club we can be we ought to have 3 first choice centre halves. colo, taylor, 1 more (mbiwa would be my choice on limited viewings), then williamson and kids.

Williamson has had some excellent spells and is now having a shitty one. We should be working on sorting him out, getting him back to the top of his game, rather than throwing money at the problem.

i remember decent spells, not any excellent ones, or if they were excellent ones what was taylor earier on this season ?

True that, may well be the reason we are now linked instead with his team mate Alderweireld more recently.

That said of course, while I have my suspicions it could be a bit of a nightmare how Pardew might handle 3 top class centre backs, it's what we need if we were to step up and consistently challenge the top 6/7 rather that settle as a top 10 club next year.

He been very much out of sorts lately. Hope he can find his best form, as he's pretty dependable generally.

Sadly it's quite unsurprising how quickly some supporters have turned on a model pro who is a good squad member.

Not saying its my first choice like, just don't think it's that ridiculous. The standard of football was better when he and Ben Arfa played in that style in that instance. Have no clue about the stats regarding chances but definitely seemed to produce more incisive and possession based football.

You want to play Jonas in a free central role?

No, not especially - as hinted in bold. Though I think a more flexible midfield in general would be useful provided we try to play using it and not playing it long.

Guest michaelfoster

How about 4-2-3-1?

Krul

Simpson      Williamson    Coloccini      Santon

Tiote      Cabaye

Jonas          Ben Arfa          Cisse

Ba

How about 4-2-3-1?

Krul

Simpson      Williamson    Coloccini      Santon

Tiote      Cabaye

Jonas              Ba              Ben Arfa

Cisse

FYP  O0

If your going 4-2-3-1 then this makes much more sense.

got a feeling cisse will be on the bench and ben arfa will start.

how about ben arfa wide left with scope to roam, jonas,tiote and cabaye central, jonas to cover and work with benarfa, obertan wide right ? with the strict instructions that ben arfa,obertan and jonas to get forward whenever possible, cabaye at least backing them up.

Well, I wouldn't be opposed to starting Perch over Simpson at some point.

Nah, I'd prefer not to see Perch anywhere in defence. He's fine as an anchorman in midfield but he should only cover RB/CB as an absolute last resort.

Not saying its my first choice like, just don't think it's that ridiculous. The standard of football was better when he and Ben Arfa played in that style in that instance. Have no clue about the stats regarding chances but definitely seemed to produce more incisive and possession based football.

No, not especially - as hinted in bold. Though I think a more flexible midfield in general would be useful provided we try to play using it and not playing it long.

Sorry, that was directed at that guy who quoted you.

They haven't been playing well. They were poor against Liverpool and Sunderland. The Spurs match was a one-off given that it was win or bust for them.

I think we can sneak something here. They're not as strong in midfield as they have always been.

2-1 to us if Ben Arfa starts. Believe.

Krul

Santon  Williamson  Coloccini  Ferguson

HBA          Tiote    Cabaye  Obertan

Cisse  Ba

2-2 draw

Sorry, that was directed at that guy who quoted you.

Clearly I agree with Han Colo  :rolleyes:

Also, 'guy'? What part of the states are you from?  :D

Well, I wouldn't be opposed to starting Perch over Simpson at some point.

Nah, I'd prefer not to see Perch anywhere in defence. He's fine as an anchorman in midfield but he should only cover RB/CB as an absolute last resort.

Agree. Simpson is not great, but he is far more dependable than Perch at right full back.

Krul

Perch  Willo  Colo

Santon  Tiote  Cabaye  Ferguson

HBA

Cisse  Ba

Would still love to give this a try tbh haha