PRINCE2

davy_fulla

Looking for advice from anyone who has the qualification and uses prince2 themselves. Im self studying to try and get the qualification on the cheap. Probably not the best or easiest way to do it but the only option at the minute. Any tips for getting to grips with it all? I've got the ogc manual and the prince2 for dummies book but are there many good free resources out there to help me along. Ive asked work if i can get involved with some projects but they just keep fobbing me off so getting practical experience could be difficult. Also whats the cheapest way to just sit the exams without having to buy a training course? Cheers

I did the Foundation part in December online over about three days. Best way to pass is to copy the Glossary from the manual and also get a copy of the process model, something like this http://www.apmg-businessbooks.com/productInfo.aspx?prodid=1061

One of those where I learnt how to pass the exam but didn't really learn about Prince 2. Hope that makes sense in that I got 68% in my exam but I felt like I didn't know too much.

Never used it since in any part of my work!

Seems like Agile is the methodology de jour in the companies I work in. Don't know much about the theory except it involves having little meetings very regularly to review then doing sprints of work in between.

Guess for software/websites it makes sense as it tries to avoid the "run a project in phases then decide everything needs to be changed at the end" effect.

Guest neesy111

Seems like Agile is the methodology de jour in the companies I work in. Don't know much about the theory except it involves having little meetings very regularly to review then doing sprints of work in between.

Guess for software/websites it makes sense as it tries to avoid the "run a project in phases then decide everything needs to be changed at the end" effect.

Agree with this, the waterfall method of doing projects is less needed nowadays especially on smaller scale projects.  It just all depends on the type of organisation, larger organisations usually have their own type of Project Management which is a derivative of Prince tailored for their needs.

Aye, when I worked for Johnson & Johnson I was trained in their own project management style, guess it was based on some version of Prince.

Still not sure whether Agile is a good approach or just a justification for the half-arsed way that web designers etc like to work! Not a project manager myself though.

Worthwhile having but you'll most likely not use it in its truest form, most companies have their own bespoke methodologies and in my experience smaller companies just wing it generally.  Good for the CV though I wouldn't worry about it too much.  In fact I once was part of a project for a massive corporation where we just winged it, though that was because it needed to be done asap and they just said sort it out and get it done and dont bore us with the details.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I sort of guessed it was gonna be one of those things that you pass the exam then never really use it or just use little bits of it from then on. Still wan't to get it on my CV though.  Got my degree back in 2008 and haven't added to it at all since then and still really doing the same job as I was back then.

So I've just finished Prince2 for dummies, now going to start having a skim over the manual and do some more sample questions and see what comes of it. Onwards and upwards!