Next Gen: E3 - June 10-13 Schedule in OP.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

PS4 Rumours

http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/4/7/3/9/6/3/450-ri4fx0.jpg/EG11/thumbnail/360x200/http://www.newplaystation4.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/playstation-4-03.jpg

Codename: Orbis

APU:AMD [email protected] (Quad Core)

GPU: Radeon 7670 (1GB of RAM)

Xbox Rumours

Codename:

APU:

GPU:

No Disk Drive? Digital Distribution only?

Wii U Rumours

Codename

APU

GPU

Price: $300USD

e3: (PDT is -8 GMT)

Monday, June 10:

Microsoft @ 9:00AM PDT

(Xbox One, over 15 exclusive game reveals, more on Forza 5, Quantum Break, EA Sports partnership, and more)

Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference @ 10:00AM PDT

(Not E3 related, but it's happening and we'll be covering it live)

Electronic Arts @ 1:00PM

(Battlefield 4, Need For Speed Rivals, more on the Star Wars deal, new reveals from DICE, BioWare, and more)

Ubisoft @ 3:00PM

(Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Watch Dogs, plus more reveals)

Sony @ 6:00PM

(PlayStation 4, Killzone 4: Shadow Fall, Drive Club, inFamous: Second Son, Deep Down, new Final Fantasy, and plenty more)

Tuesday, June 11

Nintendo @ 7:00AM PDT (Nintendo Direct, followed by a liveblog of their presentation @ 11:00AM PDT)

Additionally, Square Enix will be livestreaming their lineup straight from the E3 showfloor.

Interesting decision. Not entirely unexpected though as there were rumblings about pre-owned games hurting the industry and suggestions that games would be locked to systems or Live accounts in some way. If they go the digital download route then I guess they don't have to worry too much about the second hand market.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/exclusive-no-disc-drive-for-next-xbox/092534

MCV has learnt that Microsoft has been telling partners that the Next Xbox will NOT include a disc drive.

The briefings have been issued under what MCV’s source describes as “the strictest NDA” they have ever encountered.

Although the console will not include a disc drive, it will offer compatibility with some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD.

Furthermore, a 2013 launch date for the hardware has been confirmed. What is less clear, however, is the intended timing of Microsoft’s announcement.

It does make sense when you think of it like that. Not sure how I feel about a Console being completely DD ala Steam. Seems daft having one set of standards for one area of gaming and another for another area of gaming.  :lol:

Just think they push the 'media centre' thing a bit too much now to abandon disc drives.. then there's the backwards compability for 360 games which surely they must have.

Be interesting if they don't though.. imagine how quiet gaming would be :smitten:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

They suggested the games would be released on digital flash cards with a unique signature that locks to the console once installed.

Not a chance they'll leave out a disc drive like.

This.

Though I do think that this will be the last gen that will have disc drives. And seeing as I am one of those few where downloading a game would be quicker than going to a store and buying it, I wouldn't mind if it didn't have a disc drive.

Microsoft are banging on about building a media center from the Xbox then they need to make sure the new system isn't hecho en Mexico and doesn't break because you used it.

The internet is no where near good enough worldwide for no disk drive to work. Even people in the likes of the UK would struggle to download stuff if they live in the countryside or where ever.

The internet is no where near good enough worldwide for no disk drive to work. Even people in the likes of the UK would struggle to download stuff if they live in the countryside or where ever.

There would be ways. Once the basic engine and a few assets are downloaded (demos of "proper" games tend to be 1.5GB so use that figure as an idea), the rest could be streamed while playing, ready for when needed.

They would absolutely need to get the pricing right though. It needs to offer value compared to what can be purchased online (especially if the PS4 were to continue with disks - they couldn't do what they're doing with the pricing on the downloadable retail games at the moment)

Guest neesy111

More powerful machine = Better Compression,  so you could potentially put a 25GB game into 10GB within reason.

Guest elbee909

More powerful machine = Better Compression,  so you could potentially put a 25GB game into 10GB within reason.

As most of the assets on there are already compressed, you'd have a bit of a job to say the least.

The internet is no where near good enough worldwide for no disk drive to work

I thought the idea was to sell games on memory stick type devices as well?

Can't see much reason to shove something as archaic as a disc drive in, Blu-Ray looks set to have a very short lifespan with many people skipping it as a media generation altogether.

"the next version of [Microsoft's] Xbox console in 2013 at the earliest," company spokesman David Dennis says "There will be no talk of new Xbox hardware at E3 or anytime soon."

"2012 is all about Xbox 360," according to Microsoft's statement.

Guest neesy111

Wonder if they'll keep the xbox 360 going after the new console is brought out i.e.  PS2 was outselling PS3 for almost a year after the PS3 came out.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Probably because the PS3 was £500. Had no games, and was generally shit. Then they removed PS2 compatibility... so it went from having no games to minus games.

I'm surprised that very little has been said about the Wii-U. I know Nintendo don't generally confirm hardware specifications etc but I've seen or heard very little of their first party software (which honestly is the only reason to pick up one of their recent consoles) given that the thing is supposedly out some time this year. I assume they are going to turn up at E3 with a finalised piece of hardware and half a dozen of their own games to show?

I'm surprised that very little has been said about the Wii-U. I know Nintendo don't generally confirm hardware specifications etc but I've seen or heard very little of their first party software (which honestly is the only reason to pick up one of their recent consoles) given that the thing is supposedly out some time this year. I assume they are going to turn up at E3 with a finalised piece of hardware and half a dozen of their own games to show?

Quite surprised they've basically kept quiet about it (they showed the box off at CES, but that was it) since last E3. Certainly seems like they'll reveal the price, hardware and launch line-up at E3.