Arsenal 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 12/03/12 - post-match reaction from page 50

Nate

I almost forgot, Obertan should have the book thrown at him for wasting that oppertunity at the beginning of the second half. One on one with Sagna, Ba unmarked in the middle and he waits on it before pulling back a horrid ball to Ben Arfa on the edge of the box, shocking play.

I almost forgot, Obertan should have the book thrown at him for wasting that oppertunity at the beginning of the second half. One on one with Sagna, Ba unmarked in the middle and he waits on it before pulling back a horrid ball to Ben Arfa on the edge of the box, shocking play.

Throw the whole bookcase at him tbh, just in case the book misses.

Arse 'whiter than white' nal

That perception and their fans, who are up there with Liverpool's as the most annoying in the league in my opinion, means I developed a strong dislike for them over the last few years. Wenger also can't take losing and RvP is clearly a classless winner, tossers.

Very disappointed in our central midfield play today. We have the players and the capability to pass the ball around and create, yet from the time we conceded, the team seemed to concede the middle of the pitch to Arsenal and became content with sitting deep and trying to disrupt Arsenal, a strategy that is difficult to implement for so long (Neither Cabaye or Tiote did this particularly well anyway, imo). Jonas and Obertan were both extremely sloppy in an attacking sense, and Arsenal keyed onto Ben Arfa after he embarrassed them the once. He'll need to to learn ways to exert an influence on games in this league when we are not on top and dominating possession.

edit: Krul and Van Persie were at each other all match. I don't think less of either of them for it. Both are competitive. If anything, I thought Krul initiated the incident after the winner.

Guest neesy111

Silver lining - only one gruesome trip left to London this season. :(

We didn't concede 5 goals unlike our last 2 visits.  Improvement.

Guest neesy111

We didn't even test their defense enough to show whether we could had forced some mistakes / chances etc.  Really annoyed with our 2nd half tactics, pathetic.

Rio Ferdinand ‏ @rioferdy5

Demba Ba heads a ball on to an arsenal player..commentator -"a wonderful header by Ba" come ooooon mate..flick on's don't deserve that talk!

I know it was the most Ferdinand has been dominated by a striker in years, but no need to still be bitter 2 months later.

Central midfield was ripped in half by Rosicky. Hoof ball in the second half ended up being more of a result than a cause. We were willing to play it on the floor in the first half but it became too tempting to revert to type when it became evident that Cabaye was completing about as many passes as Rosicky was misplacing. (i.e., two.)

Our game relies too much on our central midfielders because a. they're our best players, and b. we have no wing threat. The games we've played badly this season are the games where Cabaye or Tiote have been in bad form or have been up against players who are just better. We were always going to struggle mightily against an on-form Arsenal.

We weren't too bad in the first half imo. Kept possession well most of the time, we coped well with Arsenal's attacks (Van Persie's goal aside) and we were passing it around decent enough (which led us to having an actual go at Arsenal).

Then it went wrong in the second half - those long ball tactics didn't help our cause whatsoever. Firstly, it left Ba with nothing to thrive on and that ultimately meant him not having a good game; secondly, it meant that Ben Arfa's influence in the game lessened, what with the ball bypassing midfield and Hatem; and finally the long ball led to a loss of possession which in turn led to almost a barrage of Arsenal attacks. So really, Arsenal deserved their win but for us to lose in the 94th minute (where did the 5 added minutes even come from btw!?) was very gutting but you can't really argue that on the whole, Arsenal were the better team. Like I said in the "Hoofball" thread, I mentioned to my mate at half time that all we needed to do was to pass it along the deck - if we did this then we would have been fine (in terms of attacking and defending). But alas, that didn't happen and we're left with a night full of utter disappointment. 

Regarding the actual goals, Williamson and Simpson were at fault for Arsenal's. Shame really as I thought they both had decent enough games. Ben Arfa's goal was a good one, some nice precision and power with that shot.

I also have to add that I lost quite a bit of respect for Van Persie tonight. His behaviour tonight was completely unnecessary. Prick.

We didn't value the ball enough and gave it away too easily.  Arsenal were closing down hard and we didn't handle it well, especially in the 2nd half.

The players were often bunched up and the passes too quick and hard.  I thought we defended well but began to wither under the pressure.  Still, we deserved a point.

Van Persie is playing like the best striker in the world right now but that is no excuse to act like a prick.