Newcastle United vs Norwich - 18/3/12 @4pm (Live on Sky) - Pre-match thread

Stifler

Norwich City. At home. Full array of attacking options available.

Absolutely no excuse for yet another wasted opportunity pissing about being defensive and overly concerned about the opposition. Play our best players and encourage them to attack and we'll win this game.

Really hope Simpson's injured. f*** morals, he makes us shitter - like the majority of genuinely gash players.

------------------------------------- Krul -------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Santon ----------- Williamson ---------- Coloccini --------------- Raylor

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------- Tiote -----------------------------------

----------------------- Cabaye -----------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------- Jonas ----------------------------

-- HBA -------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------- Ba ---------------------

------------------------------- Cisse ------------------------------------------

Same set up as the first half away at Fulham. Only this time for ninety minutes and with all our best players playing. There's some serious potential with Jonas roaming around the final third, particularly when we've got all our other ball-players in the side. Providing we're not punting it long, Cisse can sit on the shoulder of the last defender and mop up any chances that come his way. Seems to me that he's the sort of striker that doesn't need asking twice. Ba is great as an out-and-out striker, but if one of them is going to be withdrawn, i'd rather it be him. He's not bad at coming deep.

There's potential in a really fluid system with that lot all in the side. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pardew set up with something other than 4-4-2... doubt it'll be as above though.

I do like this but it has one major flaw, Raylor holding the entire left wing by himself with no help from anyone  :lol:

Really hope Simpson's injured. f*** morals, he makes us shitter - like the majority of genuinely gash players.

------------------------------------- Krul -------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------- Tiote -----------------------------------

-- HBA -------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------- Ba ---------------------

------------------------------- Cisse ------------------------------------------

Same set up as the first half away at Fulham. Only this time for ninety minutes and with all our best players playing. There's some serious potential with Jonas roaming around the final third, particularly when we've got all our other ball-players in the side. Providing we're not punting it long, Cisse can sit on the shoulder of the last defender and mop up any chances that come his way. Seems to me that he's the sort of striker that doesn't need asking twice. Ba is great as an out-and-out striker, but if one of them is going to be withdrawn, i'd rather it be him. He's not bad at coming deep.

There's potential in a really fluid system with that lot all in the side. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pardew set up with something other than 4-4-2... doubt it'll be as above though.

I do like this but it has one major flaw, Raylor holding the entire left wing by himself with no help from anyone  :lol:

Well he wouldn't be. It's hard to demonstrate the movement of players when all i've got is a keyboard. The whole point of that formation is that players roles would be varied, and the whole set-up generally more fluid.

Swap Jonas with Guthrie. We need ball players more than ever.

If it was a flat 4-3-3 then i'd agree. In the fleeting appearances we've seen of that set-up, Jonas was arguably the most vital to it.

Absolutely no excuse for yet another wasted opportunity pissing about being defensive and overly concerned about the opposition. Play our best players and encourage them to attack and we'll win this game.

Norwich are significantly better than Wolves. :embarrassed:

Well he wouldn't be. It's hard to demonstrate the movement of players when all i've got is a keyboard. The whole point of that formation is that players roles would be varied, and the whole set-up generally more fluid.

Yh iam aware of that, Jonas would obviously go out to help but that would mean there would be instances where we are stretched to an extent we could be easy to get through.

I am all for this type of formation but i dont think Raylor at fullback is the answer he needs constant attention at all times.

Also he would be the one providing the width on the left hand side in this system and i dont see him being able to do that and do his job defensively.

Stick Santon out there, ok he had a horror show against Arsenal but he is fantastic providing the width going forward and usually he does a decent job defensively, not a Enrique level of defensive prowess but decent enough.

I'd keep Simpson in at RB for one is he's a much better defender than Raylor, i actually thought he had a very good game against Arsenal up until the 90th minute.

Ox was subbed because of how well he marshalled him.

I really do like the system, i myself have actually posted in other threads that long term this is how we should go, but iam not confident in Raylor at LB providing the width and no Jonas to attend to his every need.

Even though Norwich are a considerably more organised side than Wolves, i'd still put them in the category of 'should beat' - especially at home. Probably a touch arrogant but i still think it's the case.

Yh iam aware of that, Jonas would obviously go out to help but that would mean there would be instances where we are stretched to an extent we could be easy to get through.

I am all for this type of formation but i dont think Raylor at fullback is the answer he needs constant attention at all times.

Also he would be the one providing the width on the left hand side in this system and i dont see him being able to do that and do his job defensively.

Stick Santon out there, ok he had a horror show against Arsenal but he is fantastic providing the width going forward and usually he does a decent job defensively, not a Enrique level of defensive prowess but decent enough.

I'd keep Simpson in at RB for one is he's a much better defender than Raylor, i actually thought he had a very good game against Arsenal up until the 90th minute.

Ox was subbed because of how well he marshalled him.

I really do like the system, i myself have actually posted in other threads that long term this is how we should go, but iam not confident in Raylor at LB providing the width and no Jonas to attend to his every need.

I think the differences between Simpson and Raylor, from a defensive perspective, are marginal. At home - where we should be putting Norwich to the sword anyway - i would go with the latter because he at least has some perks going forward. But i see your point.

Even though Norwich are a considerably more organised side than Wolves, i'd still put them in the category of 'should beat' - especially at home. Probably a touch arrogant but i still think it's the case.

Oh definitely, I just shudder at the thought of Pardew sending them out to contain. People joked about this before the Wolves game and it turned out to be true.

If you want European football then Norwich you should be beating all day every day, iam sorry but those are the facts.

No matter how poor we are playing if we want EL next season then this is a must 3 points no matter how you slice it.

Also i dont like the comparison with Wolves, Wolves was a one off it would never happen again that iam assure of.

It was the first and only time we had gave up a 2 goal lead this season, i dont expect it to happen again either.

If we play even close to our potential we will end up with the 3 points, Norwich may have had a good season but they are nothing to be frightened of.

These were shocking on Sunday against Wigan. If Wigan had had Ba rather than Rodellega they'd have been looking at a 3 or 4-1 defeat. Based on feck all, I just get a feeling Norwich will do a Charlton under Curbs, Wigan under Bruce, etc. where now that it looks like they're virtually safe they'll have a poor run in. Can see us winning 2 or 3-0.

These were shocking on Sunday against Wigan. If Wigan had had Ba rather than Rodellega they'd have been looking at a 3 or 4-1 defeat. Based on feck all, I just get a feeling Norwich will do a Charlton under Curbs, Wigan under Bruce, etc. where now that it looks like they're virtually safe they'll have a poor run in. Can see us winning 2 or 3-0.

Unless we do a Wigan under Bruce, Charlton under Curbs etc

We're better than them, Norwich are a similar sized club/standard of players.

We're better than them, Norwich are a similar sized club/standard of players.

I know - but Norwich's recent form is surprisingly good - even including away games

It's day three of defensive training, Cabaye will be told at length about the attacking threat of Surman and Howson

edit - oh we played on monday, it'll probably be day one, a new beginning!

Guest prestonj1989

I actually watched Norwich at Stoke on the way up for the derby last week. I was not impressed with them at all; there were lots of similarities between how we played in the first half and how they played for the 90 mins, long balls and no real creativity.

However, they didn't really struggle at all with the constant high balls from Stoke so we definitely need to look at a switch in tactics for this. We need to be looking to get Cabaye on the ball further up the pitch and of course get HBA running direct at the defense. I would go:

Santon      Willo        Colo        Perch

Tiote     

Cabaye            Jonas

HBA

Ba                Cisse

Norwich might be ordinary but they know their players strengths and play to them. I'm not sure that's the case for us, in fact even now I don't believe the manager really believes in players like Ben Arfa but circumstances have forced him to include him in the line up. I wish I was as confident as you but for all the low value of their squad, Norwich gave us a good pasting at their ground.