Gaming PC

Numbers

I started a thread in the help section but it seems not many people venture in there.

So i'm a bit out of touch with PC specs, its been a good while since i built one but the time has come where i need to either buy a decent gaming PC or build myself one, i guess the latter is going to be the cheapest route.

Do we have any resident PC builders that can help me out?

Ive done a bit of research on processors and have decided the i5 2500K is every bit as good as a i7 2600K for gaming as i intend to overclock and the i7 only performs better when video editing and the likes.

Also looked at graphics cards and is it worth buying a GTX580 over the GTX570?

Anyway some help would be nice you miserable twats.

Wait for Kepler, will have at least an impact on the prices of gpu's, especially nvidia.

Get a good roomy case, especially if it's your first time and spend 10% of your budget on a decent psu.

Wait for Kepler, will have at least an impact on the prices of gpu's, especially nvidia.

Get a good roomy case, especially if it's your first time and spend 10% of your budget on a decent psu.

Whuts Kepler?

Whuts Kepler?

New nvidia chipset, basically the 680 gtx is about a week away according to geeks.

Whuts Kepler?

New nvidia chipset, basically the 680 gtx is about a week away according to geeks.

Ahh right, so prices are likely to tumble...excellent.

Whuts Kepler?

Ahh right, so prices are likely to tumble...excellent.

Tumble is a strong word, but shift about certainly. Most of the activity won't come straight away mind, patience is key...so if it does come out next week were talking a full month before the deals really kick in.

Read Toms Hardware for some informative critical analysis of every major component you're going to need, and when you go to buy something, check out the comments sections to see if their are any obvious things you may have missed.

Other than that, I'm with you on the i5, I got myself one after thinking the price hike on the i7 wasn't really all that worth it. As for the gpu, I went ATI and got myself a Sapphire 6970 2GB, which is doing me good, and I've got no idea about nVidia.  If you're after a large case, I'd recommend a Zalman Z9, £50 and you get 4 case fans pre-installed (with cool blue LEDs), it's very spacious and has a decent cable management system. Personally I don't think you need to get a ridiculous PSU, but it's always best to go with a known brand, Corsair or Antec being good shouts. Again, mine is 600 watts, which seems to be enough.  RAM is cheap as chips these days, and if I was doing a new build I'd be getting at least 8 gig, suitable for gaming, browsing internets, playing music and streaming pr0n all at the same time.

That's my vague input, it's always good to listen to as many people as possible though, you hear different horror stories like "Don't go with ATI, their drivers are fucking wank!!!!111" when there probably isn't really very much difference.  Good luck with it.

Thing with waiting is you could end up putting it off as long as you like, things are always going to be cheaper in a few months time. This Kepler does sound interesting though.

I'd never usually say wait for that reason, but a major release just around the corner is the. exact time to do so.

Thing with waiting is you could end up putting it off as long as you like, things are always going to be cheaper in a few months time. This Kepler does sound interesting though.

I'd never usually say wait for that reason, but a major release just around the corner is the. exact time to do so.

Yup, I tried waiting for the ATI 7000 series to be released and lasted about a week :lol:

How does that 6970 perform vs a GTX570 or 580?

I think i will wait a week or so and see what develops with this new Nvidia chip as TT says.

Whats the best and most reliable webby in you chaps's opinion?

Get

- i5 2500k

- 8gb ddr3 dual channel ram

- good spec motherboard don't buy the mega cheapo one! (z68 chipset if you get an i5)

- Get this GPU ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-273-SP&tool=3 ) it has a switch that unlocks it to a 6970, I have it everygame is good to go. Similar performance to 570 or 580 depending on the game.

- Get a good psu, it will last you years and years. Corsair or OCZ 750w will see you through a lot of upgrade cycles, get modular is you want.

-Most importantly get a SSD, everything is so much faster its well worth the price, it also means if you have to reinstall windows all your movies etc are on your spare HDD, meaning you dont lose them!

Spoiler below for recommended build from OCUK, check scan/ebuyer for cheaper prices