Sleep patterns - and breaking them!

Beren

For some posters, this is probably deducible from their forum usage, but:

a) what time do you wake up on an average weekday?

b) what time do you fall asleep on an average weekday?

Trying to wake up earlier to fit more into my mornings/day, but I still sleep like a fucking sloth :lol: - I find it very difficult to sleep before 1am, even if I have a really productive/tiring day. Very annoying that my mind refuses to switch off before then, even if it's not preoccupied with something particular, it will find something.

a) 07:30 get up, no alarm snoozing.

b) between 10 and 11.30 depending what I've done in the day.

If I don't get 8hrs kip I'm a bitch.

When not working i get up at 9! Go to bed at 10 to read asleep by 12/1am

Working i get up at 7.30 and in bed at 10ish.

Used to stay up till 4 and 5 am and get up at 2-3pm which was an absolute disaster

Breaking it involved me getting up really early and just being fucking tried for a whole day...but the most important bit?

Going to bed EARLY and doing somthing like read a book.

Avoid using your smartphone in bed and do not take your computer into your room This worked a treat for me

also exercise and generally being active throughout the day :thup:

It's weird actually, on occasion where I do sleep at 9/10pm or some absurdly early time, I wake up at 3am - fresh as a daisy. 6 hours.

Regular 1am sleep, 8am wake-up = 7 hours, tired as feck!

I miss the days I could stay up until I basically were ready to pass out, and get up at 2-3-4-5 pm. Just let the body decide when to sleep and when to wake up. Perhaps I should get a new degree, living the student life for a few more years...

Work have me up 7am. Still have problems to go to sleep early enough, so my weekends are probably spent in bed for 40% of the time. :lol:

Weekdays, usually wake up 7 to quarter past. Go to bed anytime between 11 and 1, very occasionally earlier, but I'm absolutely shocking at actually going to bed. It sounds stupid but I get distracted far too easily. Take right now, I could probably go to sleep fairly quickly if I laid in bed for a few minutes. Instead, I'm on here, I'm on iPlayer, and so on. :lol:

Weekends, Christ, can be absolutely anything. Usually wake up anytime between 9 and midday, going to bed anytime between about half 11 and 3am.

Sleep is all about pattern.

Get the same five hours every night and your body adjusts...it learns to derive the best sleep from what your are letting it have...if that makes sense!

That's why sleeping in doesn't work and you will actually feel less rested if you do!

Humans and our bodies love routine!

The bairn crawls into my side of the bed for a cuddle at around 6.30 every morning. I'm rarely in bed before midnight on my nights off but working permanent nights means that sometimes I sleep all day. or part of the day, or catch an hour here and there when the fraggle goes to Gran's for a couple of hours.

I love sleep and constantly feel like I'm trying to catch up on it.

It's very difficult to break sleeping patterns, but possible.

Last year - Sleep at 5am, wake up at 1pm

Now - Sleep at 1am, wake up at 8am

:lol:

Christ, Uni, aye. 2nd year saw a high/low when I slept through a 3pm lecture.

Can't believe that a few years ago I was getting up at 7.45am every morning and leaving the house about 8.35am to head to sixth form :lol: now I'm at uni, I always struggle to manage the one 9am start I have every week. I've slept through 2pm lectures comfortably already, I'm always so tired these days.

My pattern is always a nightmare. I always fuck it up being staying up ridiculously late. I also struggle to recover from the weekends and get back into an early morning routine. Does my head in like, because I enjoy waking up at the crack of dawn with the whole day ahead of me.

University is a uniquely insular environment. Doing one thing a day feels like an imposition on your life, even if that one thing is at 2pm :lol:

Anyway, going to try and follow pi_D's advice and hit the hay a little earlier than usual. Alarm set for 6:30. Fully anticipate to 'snooze it' until 8 in half hour instalments.

I normally plan my day to start graft at 9am so usually up for 7-45. Shit, shave and showered by 8am. Although sometimes Jnr wakes us earlier. Rarely will I see the pillow before 1am. I usually go straight to kip so I get a good 6/7 hrs per night. I only ever feel tired if I do lie in an extra hour or two. Weekends I might stay up til 3am/4am but will set my alarm to wake me in 6hrs.

I firmly believe you can have too much sleep.

I usually fall akip lying on my right side and when I wake I'm on my right side. Wor lass reckons I don't move a muscle all night and I awake exactly where I fell asleep.

Would really love to be able to get out of bed at 5:40 like. I'm up at 7:30 weekdays, wake up at 6am EVERY morning as my phone is fucked (the alarm tab has dissapeared somehow so it's permanently stuck at 6am) and then just set my DAB and go back to bed, whether i'm actually tired or not, I just love my bed.

I normally plan my day to start graft at 9am so usually up for 7-45. Shit, shave and showered by 8am. Although sometimes Jnr wakes us earlier. Rarely will I see the pillow before 1am. I usually go straight to kip so I get a good 6/7 hrs per night. I only ever feel tired if I do lie in an extra hour or two. Weekends I might stay up til 3am/4am but will set my alarm to wake me in 6hrs.

I firmly believe you can have too much sleep.

Ok, before I go... dafuq. Do you do all three at the same time? That is really bad mental imagery. :pokerface:

Shit, shower, shave would take me a good 25 minutes like.

Time apportioned to each? Are you going for a 10:10:5 split? If so, what's 5 minutes?

Hope it's not the shit. One of life's few personal pleasures remaining, no need to be rushing.