The A1....Killer Road

MyPalAl

Yet another poor soul lost their life on the A1 yesterday, on the single lane carriageway near Fenwick. Lost count of the deaths on this road since I started driving.

Living in Northumberland, it is sickening that most of this major road is like a country lane. Drivers get frustrated at being stuck behind slow moving wagons and farm vehicles and take risks.

I appreciate most on here won't travel the road, but if/when you do, then TAKE CARE!

Long time since I had to drive it but I'm always amazed that it is still single file, there should have been a dual carriage way installed long long ago, especially as it is the main access road to Scotland from the east.

I remember reading they wont dual it as they'd have to build a new bridge (at fleton i think) then one further north. How about dualing it either side then single over the bridge or is that far too simple an idea?

Getting money from Westminister to dual it will never happen, they only look at economic drivers, imagine if they spent the HS2 money on improving roads instead of saving someone 20 minutes on a train!

not sure if it does need dualled all the way but work defintly needs done on those points where traffic is needing to cross the A1.

They terrify me.  The missus has had people pull out in front of her before and saw a crash where someone had pulled out into the path of oncoming traffic and unfortunately two people died.

Guest neesy111

Fully dual carriages when you get to Jocksville n all ain't it? Says everything about successive attitudes to NE infrastructue from the powers that be.

Labour promised in 1997 manifesto they would dual-carriage it.  Just a soundbite and another stab in the back for an area where they take their votes for granted.

Ridiculous that its not a dual carrigeway like. Someone mentioned the A19; I have had the misfortune of using it every day for the last 8 months between Peterlee and the Tyne Tunnel and it is a complete and utter death trap. I witnessed a massive crash on it last year and when I phoned the police the man on the phone was like 'Yep, yet another crash on the A19, the problem with that road is that its used like a motorway but it is only a dual carrigeway." He's right tbh, at half 6 on a morning its absolutely rammed; cars with drivers half asleep or still half cut doing 60-70mph while being less than a cars width apart from the car infront.

The North East has been shafted when its came to building adequate roads. 

Guest Howaythetoon

You see drivers everyday talking risks, and its stupid. Yes the roads could be better but so could our cars and everything else motoring wise. Me, and I live by this, I always keep at least 3 cars lengths back from the car in front regardless of speed or road. Mind this gets people behind you trying to undertake you to get into that gap, idiots. If you're going to be involved in a crash, the likelyhood of it will be due to the driver in front more often than not. Keep that safe distance. Lorry drivers are the worst mind, they just pull out and they know because of their size, they feel they can bully their way into any gap even if it involves you breaking hard.

I nearly had a head on a few weeks back on the A69, some twat on the other side overtook someone and was heading right towards me, I missed him by inches. I actually almost ditched myself on my side to increase the gap between me and the other driver. I was furious. You see it all the time. Don't get me wrong, I can be impatinet and will overtake on single lane roads but I choose my time carefully and I'm calculated, I don't take risks. If I see another car fast approaching I'll back right off and get back into my own lane. Most just bomb forward though in the hope the driver on the other side does enough to let him pass, like I had to do with the idiot I reffered to.

The worst drivers are aggressive tailgaters though. What I do when I have an arsehole like that up my tail is to put my hazards on and drop my speed. They soon back way off, followed by wanker signs and flashing of course.

Yep, a69 most of the way is like a red rag to impatient drivers. That's basically the two main roads into our region that are utter shit.

The m6 is so much better in comparison. It's like the powers that be want to bypass us.

Aye, crossing the A1 is a dangerous job. I turn north from the Hebron junction most days and I can be sat there ages. I can see how people gamble and take risks, but patience is a virtue! Friday evenings in particular are extremely busy, so I come through Morpeth to get on to the A1 north.

I don't know why the powers that be dont make the A1 dual carriageway, but right in the middle of the current A1 and the A697 and do away with TWO very dangerous roads. That A697 is another twatful road. Kill two birds with one stone there? Why has no one ever suggested this (not that it will ever happen btw)

• 2 weeks later...

You see drivers everyday talking risks, and its stupid. Yes the roads could be better but so could our cars and everything else motoring wise. Me, and I live by this, I always keep at least 3 cars lengths back from the car in front regardless of speed or road. Mind this gets people behind you trying to undertake you to get into that gap, idiots. If you're going to be involved in a crash, the likelyhood of it will be due to the driver in front more often than not. Keep that safe distance. Lorry drivers are the worst mind, they just pull out and they know because of their size, they feel they can bully their way into any gap even if it involves you breaking hard.

I nearly had a head on a few weeks back on the A69, some twat on the other side overtook someone and was heading right towards me, I missed him by inches. I actually almost ditched myself on my side to increase the gap between me and the other driver. I was furious. You see it all the time. Don't get me wrong, I can be impatinet and will overtake on single lane roads but I choose my time carefully and I'm calculated, I don't take risks. If I see another car fast approaching I'll back right off and get back into my own lane. Most just bomb forward though in the hope the driver on the other side does enough to let him pass, like I had to do with the idiot I reffered to.

The worst drivers are aggressive tailgaters though. What I do when I have an arsehole like that up my tail is to put my hazards on and drop my speed. They soon back way off, followed by wanker signs and flashing of course.

Three car lengths at 70mph?

Are you sure thats what you do? If you do you have about a zero chance of avoiding death or serious injury if the worst eventuality occured.

Three seconds would be more accurate I'd suggest. Twice that on wet roads.

• 3 weeks later...

If MP's had to travel that route everyday do you think it would still be single carriageway?

If MP's had to travel that route everyday do you think it would still be single carriageway?

Definitely not. Two more crashes up there last week.

how often do you travel up there ?

Fully dual carriages when you get to Jocksville n all ain't it? Says everything about successive attitudes to NE infrastructue from the powers that be.

Labour promised in 1997 manifesto they would dual-carriage it.  Just a soundbite and another stab in the back for an area where they take their votes for granted.

This

Work in Ashington, live in Alnwick so 5 days a week, plus weekends if toon at home or mrs wants to go to Newcastle, Metro Centre or Costco. So loads really. I do 20,000 miles a year and I guess 15,000 of them will be on the A1. That's why I feel strongly about the fuck up that is the A1

Work in Ashington, live in Alnwick so 5 days a week, plus weekends if toon at home or mrs wants to go to Newcastle, Metro Centre or Costco. So loads really. I do 20,000 miles a year and I guess 15,000 of them will be on the A1. That's why I feel strongly about the f*** up that is the A1

we go up quite regular and there doesn't seem to be the volume of traffic to warrant dualing it all the way. the problem is getting on/off and across it.