I Need To Knock Up A CV.

Crumpy Gunt

Doesn't need to be anything spectacular as I've been doing the same job for 20 years. Anyone got an idea of any decent templates or general advice?

Thanks in advance.

(I know it could go in the 'jobs' thread but please let it live here on its own for a while mods please)

standard advice has worked for me over the years:

2 pages max (3 only for contact details or something)

some bullshit about personal statement & objectives to start

a summary of what you offer

list of jobs worked starting with the latest one working back, summarise duties as simply as possible preferably on one line...a gull paragraph per job/role not the way to go

don't make it overly complicated format wise, simple is best

don't put a photo on it unles you're a fit bird

i'll PM you mine if you like

list of jobs worked starting with the latest one working back, summarise duties as simply as possible preferably on one line...a gull paragraph per job/role not the way to go

Dude, are you an expert on CVs and shit, by any chance?

Guest neesy111

This.

Dude, are you an expert on CVs and shit, by any chance?

not remotely, but i've worked in a game that employs people entirely on CV's for the last 8 years and have picked that up along the way, also at the moment i have some involvement in recruitment (minimal) and there's nothing fucking worse than trying to read a 7 page CV or one that's written in a stupid fucking font or something

Decent covering letter's where it's at. CVs are pretty basic outlines really.

Keep it clear and nicely layed out too, it'll only get skim read in less than a minute.

never wrote a covering letter in my life, load of shit if you ask me

99% of the time employers know what skills and experience they want, they'll either get that from a CV or have to read What I Did Last Summer in the covering letter to achieve the same result....personal statement at the top of a CV achieves the same result imo

never wrote a covering letter in my life, load of s*** if you ask me

99% of the time employers know what skills and experience they want, they'll either get that from a CV or have to read What I Did Last Summer in the covering letter to achieve the same result....personal statement at the top of a CV achieves the same result imo

Hmmmm, maybe. All of mine have been from an undergrad perspective though skills and experience relatively limited. Whenever I've spoke to the university careers services folk they've always stressed the emphasis on a decent, concise cover letter.

Hmmmm, maybe. All of mine have been from an undergrad perspective though skills and experience relatively limited. Whenever I've spoke to the university careers services folk they've always stressed the emphasis on a decent, concise cover letter.

yeah i remember the same advice well, to be fair when you're talking grad jobs it's certainly the way to go - as you say how to differentiate between 100's of people with no experience whatsoever?  skills in flipping burgers ain't gonna get you much info about a dude is it?

beyond graduate places i don't really think they have much of a place, maybe it's just the industry i work in though 'cause it's as half arsed as fuck

Guest neesy111

My last interaction with a CV was me wiping my arse with my mate's the other night. It was no Andrex but it sufficed.

:scared:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

:pardsgrin:

Doesn't need to be anything spectacular as I've been doing the same job for 20 years. Anyone got an idea of any decent templates or general advice?

Thanks in advance.

(I know it could go in the 'jobs' thread but please let it live here on its own for a while mods please)

Long story short tailor it  so it's specific to the job your applying for rather than have one generic c.v, keep it short and punchy an employer will get a thousand c.v's so make it stand our and keep it tight and to the point.