Car Insurance Claim Help: ARRRRGH!

Keefaz

This happened in the early hours of Sat morning:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5831/carsc.jpg

Someone destroyed both our cars. The fucker who did it scarpered. The missus has been trying to get the insurance (Admiral) sorted. Both the Micra and the Peugeot are write-offs. Missus got an email with Admiral's offer: £50 after the excess.

Fifty fucking quid

Not sure where to go from here. The missus is absolutely distraught. We're fucking broke. Both cars were fine, MOT'd: the Peugeot'd just had £400 of work done on it a couple of months ago (brakes and that). Livid with the cunt who did the damage and then chipped off (hope his car explodes and kills him) and the fucking bellends at Admiral.

Can you look up some similar cars (makes, models, specs and ages) on autotrader to show the insurance company how much it would actually cost replace them?

You couldn't replace the four tyres for 50 sheets.

Wankers.

fuck sake , any chance of police finding the cunts?

Not interested, mate. We've gone to the local rag about it.

Realise now we shouldn't have bothered to go to Admiral. Would've been better off just taking the lot to the scrap ourselves.

Guest Howaythetoon

Fucking wankers

Mind, some joyrider crashed into the car of a lass I know and wrote it off. 02 Astra, low mileage etc. They offered her 500 quid. She wrote a letter to them to reconsider given the true market value of her car and they eventually settled on 1300 quid, still 500 quid or so short of what it was probably really worth but a lot better than 500 poxy quid. She had been with them for years though. Swinton I think.

We all know insurance is a big massive con, especially motor insurance.

Jesus, Keefaz. How much is the excess?

Well this is another bone of contention. The missus reckons it's £100, but the email they've sent says £350. Will examine policy.

Absolutely. Either way it's a pisstake. Watchdog still going over there?

By way of comparison, I don't know if you remember my car blowing up a few months ago. They took the "blue-book" value of the car (http://www.kbb.com/?psid=99999&gclid=cjxv4pq0ha8cfe4dqaoden_h1g&siomid=si_128145875_7922787049_1&siclientid=3767&sessguid=2da30243-862b-45ee-bca1-614b13793a56&userguid=2da30243-862b-45ee-bca1-614b13793a56&permguid=2da30243-862b-45ee-bca1-614b13793a56&sissr=1) and gave us that. They then bought us two new car seats for the kids because it took them a while to sort the whole thing out.

Fifty quid is a fucking disgrace, ludicrous. Does anyone know how UK insurance companies work out the values?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

By way of comparison, I don't know if you remember my car blowing up a few months ago. They took the "blue-book" value of the car (http://www.kbb.com/?psid=99999&gclid=cjxv4pq0ha8cfe4dqaoden_h1g&siomid=si_128145875_7922787049_1&siclientid=3767&sessguid=2da30243-862b-45ee-bca1-614b13793a56&userguid=2da30243-862b-45ee-bca1-614b13793a56&permguid=2da30243-862b-45ee-bca1-614b13793a56&sissr=1) and gave us that. They then bought us two new car seats for the kids because it took them a while to sort the whole thing out.

Fifty quid is a fucking disgrace, ludicrous. Does anyone know how UK insurance companies work out the values?

Seemingly:

http://www.wayfarerquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DD_dice.jpg

Well this is another bone of contention. The missus reckons it's £100, but the email they've sent says £350. Will examine policy.

You might find its £250.00 standard with a £100 voluntary excess, hence their £350.00.

You might find its £250.00 standard with a £100 voluntary excess, hence their £350.00.

Trying to work it out now. They've got a list of compulsory excess charges listed under a heading "Person In Charge of Vehicle" (e.g. under 21, provisional licence holder, etc.) but the car was parked up?

Christ!  Thats horrific, and an absolute pisstake of an offer. You can only imagine the c***s responsible were either p*ssed or not in possession of the right paperwork/a license, and of course its absolute c***s like this that are driving the cost of insurance through the roof.  Can't believe the police don't want to know either.  You've definitely done the right thing going to the local rag.

Minhosa could be right with his explanation of the excess.

I know its not going to make you feel better, but someone wrote off my mam's C4 in Wallsend a few years back.  She had it parked on a terraced street, a woman was flooring it, late picking her kids up from school and went too fast on a bend and knocked the car 20 feet up the road.  Makes you f***ing livid that your car can be wrecked by others when you're not even in it.

Hope you manage to get something sorted

EDIT:  Looking at that picture, its hard to work out how one car could smash both of them like that, so was it vandalism?  If so, then its criminal damage, shirley?!

It is shit but I'd advise you to flog the cars for scrap and not claim off your insurance. Accepting the fifty quid will do nowt but fuck up your NCB.

Tell the insurance co you'll fund the repairs yourself then scrap them (£80/£100 a pop) It's galling but think of the bigger picture. Your next Insurance company will ask "any accidents / claims - fault or none fault" Yours will be a None Fault and you didn't claim. Obviously plod have issued a crime number?

Remember the Monty Python 'Motor Insurance sketch'?

"You see, you unfortunately plumped for our 'Neverpay' policy, which, you know, if you never claim is very worthwhile...but you had to claim, and, well, there it is."

Keefaz, I would be heading straight back down the Police Station and making sure you get to speak to at least the Duty Sergeant, if he doesn't help then demand to see the Duty Inspector. Tell them you want ANPR camera checks of the surrounding area that night. The car that did this must be in some bad way itself and would surely be obvious on camera.