Potential petrol strikes

Dave

How to cause a panic:

1. Tell people not to panic.

2. Wait for the media to lead with the headline most likely to make people panic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17533151

Petrol strike threat: PM advises topping up

The government has urged people to take "sensible precautions" in case a strike by fuel tanker drivers goes ahead.

PM David Cameron said motorists should top up their tanks and Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude advised storing petrol in a jerry can in their garage.

Drivers with the Unite union, who supply 90% of UK forecourts, have voted to strike over terms and conditions - although no date has been set.

The civil contingencies committee Cobra will meet later to discuss plans.

Mr Cameron said: "There is no imminent strike. The unions would have to give seven days' notice of any strike so there is no need to queue to buy petrol.

"If there is an opportunity to top up your tank if a strike is potentially on the way, then it is a sensible thing if you are able to do that."

RAF training

He added: "I absolutely do not want to raise the temperature on this any more than is necessary."

Mr Maude advised: "The greater extent to which people have fuel in their vehicles - maybe a little bit in the garage as well in a jerry can - the longer we can keep things going."

Earlier, Downing Street dismissed claims it caused "panic" over the threatened fuel strike by urging motorists to make "contingency plans" such as filling up.

Labour described the comments as the "height of irresponsibility" for giving the impression people should panic-buy.

But No 10 said it had alerted drivers to the possibility of disruption in "a calm-headed and sensible way".

At the Cobra meeting, Mr Cameron will be briefed on measures to minimise the possible impact of any strike, including using military drivers, the possibility of recruiting foreign tanker drivers and setting up fuel stockpiles.

They will also discuss the impact a strike would have on the emergency services, other vital services and supermarket deliveries.

There are plans to put military personnel through an eight-day training course to enable them to take the place of striking drivers behind the wheel of commercial tankers.

The BBC has learned that more than 80 "highly qualified" drivers from the Royal Air Force will begin initial training by one oil haulage firm on Wednesday.

Mr Cameron said there was "absolutely no justification" for a strike and earlier Chancellor George Osborne and Energy Secretary Ed Davey warned it could damage economic recovery.

Labour leader Ed Miliband has said a strike should be avoided "at all costs", whilst urging trade unions and company chiefs to negotiate.

There have been reports of panic-buying at some fuel stations, although oil giant Shell said it had been "business as normal" on its forecourts.

Timetable for talks

Simon Lane, from Leicester, said his local garage in Groby ran out of diesel and unleaded petrol after "panic buying" involving "huge queues".

"It is usually a busy petrol station but I have never seen queues on to the main road before, it was very dangerous," he said.

Jim Wardle, from Chesterfield, said he saw a man fill up his Range Rover then buy the last six petrol cans and fill them while complaining about people voting to strike.

"It was pandemonium at the Clay Cross petrol station. No-one was really saying much but everyone knew why it was busier than normal," he said.

Meanwhile, conciliation service Acas said it would contact the five oil firms affected and the Unite union to agree a timetable for talks aimed at resolving their differences.

Workers involved in the dispute over terms, conditions and safety standards have already voted to walk out.

Unite, the UK's biggest union, is meeting on Wednesday to consider its next step. It has already said it wants minimum standards covering pay, hours, holiday and redundancy.

The union represents about 2,000 drivers who deliver fuel to Shell and Esso garages, as well as supermarkets such as Tesco and Sainsbury's.

Good work.

They're fucking idiots, but then we all knew that already.

Also, I hate the way that politicians do all they can to make it seem as if there is never any justification for a strike. The UK's labour laws are already massively weighted in favour of the employers and going on strike is just about the only tool available to workers with which to argue their case. I can understand why the Tories would be against it - because they're fucking cunts - but it's a fucking disgrace that Labour always bottles out of trying to explain why workers are withholding their labour and meekly gives in to tory pressure to condemn the very people that they are supposed to represent on each and every occasion. Yeah there are some unions who are a bit mental - and this could well be one such instance, I don't know the details - but when was the last time any politician admitted that the workers even had a point? I can't remember that happening for ages, decades perhaps, are we seriously supposed to believe that the employers have been in the right on each and ever occasion in that time? I don't fucking think so!

The oil companies are just going to use this as an excuse to put up prices though and when things settle down after it the prices won't.

It's fucking disgrace, thats all it is, a ploy by the oil companies and the government and media are going out of their way in order to help them rake in every fucking penny they can.

What a bunch of sick bastards.

I've always been skeptical of people (well, conspiracy theorists) who claim that governments will induce events that make the headlines just to deflect attention away from some change in law that they wan't to push through, or some embarassing issue they want swept under the rug. And since the revelations of Cameron & Co effectively taking bungs via £250k "private dinners", I've been wondering what major newstory might come out to deflect attention on something that should have deep implications (far more so than the phonehacking scandal imo). Looks like this is it.

Long queues down preston Rd at morrisons preston grange.

not wanting to miss out on the panic- i continued on to the garage at the top of Northam rd. where the chaos was organised, people in high vis waistcoats directing cars to pumps, and moving them on to paking bays before going in to pay. Accompanied by loudspeaker announcements for the fuck ups getting it wrong. all very James bond inside a Volcanoe stuff.

Everybody filling to spill point.

They're fucking idiots, but then we all knew that already.

Also, I hate the way that politicians do all they can to make it seem as if there is never any justification for a strike. The UK's labour laws are already massively weighted in favour of the employers and going on strike is just about the only tool available to workers with which to argue their case. I can understand why the Tories would be against it - because they're fucking cunts - but it's a fucking disgrace that Labour always bottles out of trying to explain why workers are withholding their labour and meekly gives in to tory pressure to condemn the very people that they are supposed to represent on each and every occasion. Yeah there are some unions who are a bit mental - and this could well be one such instance, I don't know the details - but when was the last time any politician admitted that the workers even had a point? I can't remember that happening for ages, decades perhaps, are we seriously supposed to believe that the employers have been in the right on each and ever occasion in that time? I don't fucking think so!

Agreed.

Guest Roger Kint

Wont it take at least 7 days for any strike to be implimented anyway? These wankers panic buying will all have to do it again this time next week, most of them arent even like you two that actually need to do it for a reason.

Wont it take at least 7 days for any strike to be implimented anyway? These wankers panic buying will all have to do it again this time next week, most of them arent even like you two that actually need to do it for a reason.

Yep, after it's been approved in legality, they have to give 7 days notice. So in reality it could be upto 2 weeks away.

Thing is though all the panic buy is wiping forecourt stocks out. Which in turn will raise the price.

Fools the lot of them, cannot believe how easily people lap this shit up without even giving it any self conscious thought. Baaaaaa

Hopefully it will lead to a summer of discontent. Something needs to wake the sleeping masses

Always think of the quote from when I did history at school that went something along the lines of society being only three meals away from revolution.

People panic like little bitches.

all unemployed, disability  and retired drivers, and learners, should be suspended from the roads until the rumours about strikes are confirmed or otherwise.

Don't forget the blacks the jews and the gays. Oh and the people the don't have a job as important as you, and the people that pissed you off last year for being a bit more successful because your boss liked them a bit more than you. Oh and that bloke that lives next door and always parks outside your house but has his own space on his drive.

Classic example of the British public being absolutely moronic.

The very earliest a strike would take place now would be the 11th/12th April, if you take into consideration there are negotiations at the start of next week and they need to give one week notice before actually striking. What are all these people who topped up their tanks going to do until then? Sit in the house not using petrol so they can potter about when the strike takes place? Fuckwits, the lot of them :lol:

Classic example of the British public being absolutely moronic.

The very earliest a strike would take place now would be the 11th/12th April, if you take into consideration there are negotiations at the start of next week and they need to give one week notice before actually striking. What are all these people who topped up their tanks going to do until then? Sit in the house not using petrol so they can potter about when the strike takes place? Fuckwits, the lot of them :lol:

did you live through the fuel blockades of 2000? horrible it was, realy bad.