Rooting a mobile phone.

Mr Logic

Specifically a Galaxy S2. Anyone ever done it? Fraught with problems or a piece of piss? From my initial research it seems to be the former.

Wife wants free wi-fi when out and about and other android apps. (I have not got a clue about this, my experience of mobile phones extends to occasionally answering one!)

Would one of those phone shops in the Green Market help me out?

What rooting your phone does, is basically opening it up for you to put different operating systems on it. It has very little to do with which apps you can or can't run on your phone (there are a select few apps that needs your phone to be rooted for them to work, but they all have to do with more advanced stuff). Either way, there won't ever be an app that will just give you access to "free wi-fi"-spots.

While the process of rooting a Galaxy S2 isn't particularly difficult, it's something that should only be done by "advanced" users, because there simply isn't an advantage for anyone else to do it. Sounds like it's not even something you should be considering at the moment, but if you've got more questions about rooting or anything else regarding the Galaxy S2 or Wi-FI, I'll happily answer them for you in a PM.