Squad strength for next season

Unbelievable

I know, I know, it's more than a bit early, but the prospect of possibly qualifying for Europe (hope I don't jinx it with this thread) and the recent comments from Pardew about wanting a smaller squad for next season (albeit with more quality) made me want to do an evaluation of the (quantitative and qualitative) strength of our squad ahead of next season. This season we have (mainly due to going out of the cups in the early rounds) been able to focus on the league, but if we want to compete in the Premiership as well as make a fist of Europe and the cups (with all the ACON, injuries and suspension a long, hard season entail) I think we will need at least three players capable of playing in each position, preferably a first choice player, an experienced backup player and a promising youngster who can develop in the cup competitions and substitutions.

Obviously, this squad strength analysis is subject to changes due to outgoing and incoming transfer activity in the summer transfer window, but I thought is would be interesting to see what we've got and where we may want to strengthen.

GK

1st: Krul

backup: Forster, Elliot, Harper

talent: Alnwick

=> Very strong in this position. 2 of our backup goalkeepers are dispensable (Harper to retire? Forster to be sold to Celtic?)

$ get 1-2 million for Forster, save some wages.

RB

1st: Simpson, Santon?

backup: Raylor, Perch?

talent: Tavernier

=> Not our strongest position in terms of player quality, so needs attention in the summer window. Santon at RB is an unknown quantity, but worth a try, but could also see us developing him as a LB and get a new 1st choice right back in. We may decide to cash in on Simpson (I expect he may be in demand and we can get a good fee for him).

$ probably need to spend a few million on a first choice fullback (either LB or RB depending on where Santon's future lies), recoup the money through a Simpson sale?

LB

1st: Santon?

backup: Raylor, Perch?

talent: Ferguson

=> Reinforcements needed, unless we see Santon as a left back for years to come. Ferguson needs more minutes on the pitch, which he could get if we get into Europe.

$ investment needed in a first choice fullback, preferably left footed

CB

1st: Coloccini, Saylor?

backup: Williamson, Perch?

talent: ?

=> Improvement needed in the form of a first choice centre back to play alongside Coloccini (Saylor being too injury prone) and a talented youngster we can bring on

$ investment needed in a first choice centre back and a promising young centre back

RM

1st: Ben Arfa

backup: Obertan, Marveaux?, Raylor?

talent: Sameobi, Tavernier?

=> Strong position. Hopefully Obertan can prove himself to be a useful squad player (especially as an impact sub).

$ not much investment needed. If the opportunity arises to bring in a talented youngster for the wings maybe spend a little.

LM

1st: Jonas

backup: Marveaux, Obertan?

talent: Sameobi, Ferguson?

=> strong position, no changes needed. Hopefully Marveaux can regain full fitness and challenge for the first team.

$ same as RM

CM

1st: Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas/(Guthrie)

backup: (Guthrie), Perch, Gosling, Marveaux?

talent: Abeid, Vuckic

=> very strong position. Focus on keeping what we have, possibly replacing Guthrie if he won't sign a contract extension.

$ no investment needed (unless Guthrie leaves)

ST

1st: Ba, Cisse

backup: Best, Shola

talent: Sameobi, Ranger?

=> very strong position. Focus on keeping what we have (and get rid of Ranger if we can). A youngster able to deputise would be good.

$ no major investment needed. Maybe a couple of million to replace Lovenkrands (and possibly Ranger).

In conclusion, I think we have quite a good squad already and we don't need wholesale changes for once. I would be looking to bring in a first choice (quality) centre back and fullback (left or right depending on what we see as Santon's best position), get Guthrie signed on a new deal or get a like for like replacement and try and get some youngsters in the Abeid/Vuckic mould for centre back and centre forward. Considering we are letting a few players (Lovenkrands, Smith) go and have a few salable assets (Forster, Simpson?) we probably won't even have to spend big to assemble a squad capable of competing in all these competitions.

However, the absolute main priority is to keep the excellent spine that we've got.

Your thoughts?

This is a bit like Stu's depth chart thread from earlier this season. Many people struggled to comprehend having the same player in more than one position. "How can he be in two places at once" was the most common answer.

Good luck with this.

Guest neesy111

This is a bit like Stu's depth chart thread from earlier this season. Many people struggled to comprehend having the same player in more than one position. "How can he be in two places at once" was the most common answer.

Good luck with this.

Yet they'll play on Football Manager no doubt?

But we should sell Simpson, Williamson, Gosling, Shola, Ranger and Obertan because they aren't good enough.

But we should sell Simpson, Williamson, Gosling, Shola, Ranger and Obertan because they aren't good enough.

Not good enough for what?

Simpson is a good enough squad player, but with his contract ending after next season and while his stock is high, it may be a good time to cash in and try to replace.

Williamson has proven to be a dependable, if unspectacular centre back. Good enough for cover (4th choice).

Gosling hasn't really had a chance to prove what he can bring to the squad. I'd say he's worth persevering with for another season to see what he can do.

Shola is the ultimate squad player. Good enough for cover (4th choice) and an important figure in the dressing room.

Ranger needs to buck up his ideas. The main problem is there will not be (m)any takers when we decide we've had enough, so we may well be stuck with him. Apart from his lunatic behaviour he has shown promise, so from a footballing perspective he may be worth keeping on. I'd prefer to replace him if we can though.

Obertan has been a disappointment, but his attributes make him quite useful as an impact sub to relieve pressure. I believe he has a future at the club, although I don't think he will ever be good enough to be first choice.

Do you guys think you will take the Europa seriously? I suspect he will at the beginning (with a couple of kids thrown in) but as injuries begin to take their toll Pardew will be tempted to do what we did this year and just play the reserves.

Of course, if you get into the Champions League then all bets are off.

Good work man. I'm right there with you in terms of our needs for this off season. Obviously we need to actually qualify to Europe first (which is far from certain, and tbh I still think unlikely as it will involve most likely Liverpool actually managing to beat Everton, on courrent form that's difficult to see) but if we do get there I think with those additions our squad would be more than capable of managing the extra games. Of course could be a moot point if we factor in the atrocious cup record we've had under Pards :)

Simpson is a good enough squad player, but with his contract ending after next season and while his stock is high, it may be a good time to cash in and try to replace.

Williamson has proven to be a dependable, if unspectacular centre back. Good enough for cover (4th choice).

Gosling hasn't really had a chance to prove what he can bring to the squad. I'd say he's worth persevering with for another season to see what he can do.

Shola is the ultimate squad player. Good enough for cover (4th choice) and an important figure in the dressing room.

Ranger needs to buck up his ideas. The main problem is there will not be (m)any takers when we decide we've had enough, so we may well be stuck with him. Apart from his lunatic behaviour he has shown promise, so from a footballing perspective he may be worth keeping on. I'd prefer to replace him if we can though.

Obertan has been a disappointment, but his attributes make him quite useful as an impact sub to relieve pressure. I believe he has a future at the club, although I don't think he will ever be good enough to be first choice.

I should have made it clearer I was taking the piss.

I have noticed a lot of posts, mostly in transfer threads, that seem oblivious to the concept of a squad.

Maybe they were taking the piss too.

Guest gasusoca

Simpson is deadful. If a club pays money for him then I will drive the focker to the new club myself!

A new starting CB would be class; but we could live with the only upgrade to the first team being a full-back. The rest of the squad needs padding out a bit though, no doubt about it.

I think wholesale changes would be extremely detrimental. The squad is very much in its early days; although we've played well for the majority of the season - it's only just starting to gel properly, now Pards has got his first choice team/formation/philosophy.

1 CB

1 LB

1 ST

... with no departures (other than the deadwood) would be spot on.

Except the bolded have been pretty instrumental in helping us to 6th (so far) this year?

Not ideal first-teamers, but to get rid of completely? We're already about four bodies short (and I'm not talking about quality replacements for players who should be phased out over time blah blah blah, I mean literal bodies :lol: We have no actual fourth-choice centre back or first-team left back ffs :lol:)

You now want to get five-six replacements on top of that? Well, move over Man City, there's some new big-spenders in town...

Pardew has stated he's looking to bring in two, maybe three, players in at a stretch.

Not sure how much money you expect to get from the players you've listed, or what kind of investment you expect in excess of the revenue generated from their sales. I'd say the six you've mentioned would struggle to generate £10m between them. Fantasy land IMO.

Except the bolded have been pretty instrumental in helping us to 6th (so far) this year?

Not ideal first-teamers, but to get rid of completely? We're already about four bodies short (and I'm not talking about quality replacements for players who should be phased out over time blah blah blah, I mean literal bodies :lol: We have no actual fourth-choice centre back or first-team left back ffs :lol:)

You now want to get five-six replacements on top of that? Well, move over Man City, there's some new big-spenders in town...

Pardew has stated he's looking to bring in two, maybe three, players in at a stretch.

Not sure how much money you expect to get from the players you've listed, or what kind of investment you expect in excess of the revenue generated from their sales. I'd say the six you've mentioned would struggle to generate £10m between them. Fantasy land IMO.

I should have made it clearer I was taking the piss.

I have noticed a lot of posts, mostly in transfer threads, that seem oblivious to the concept of a squad.

Maybe they were taking the piss too.

Yeah, it was mostly aimed at posts like this

Simpson is deadful. If a club pays money for him then I will drive the focker to the new club myself!

and this from the transfer rumours in the press thread

I'll feel sorry for Steven Taylor me like. Was class in the first half of the season, and Douglas wouldn't come here to just sit on the bench. I'd rather we signed a centre half who was say 20/21 who wouldn't mind sitting on the bench and getting the odd game in the cups and hopefully Europe,with the view that he would be Coloccini's long term replacement.

1 CB, 1 LB, 1 CM and 1 versatile young forward, promote some kids like Vuckic, Abeid, Ferguson, Sammy and Tavernier for more minutes in the cups or because of injuries and suspensions.

Having Taylor and Marveaux fit will be like new signings and the only ones i would even consider bids for are Simpson, Gosling and Guthrie but i would like to see them stay especially Guthrie.

Sell Lovenkrands, Smith, Xisco, Ranger and Forster.

We do all this and keep the important players and we will have a very strong squad next season and one capable of competing in Europe, going far in both cups and remaining competitive in the League.

If we dont it will be an opportunity missed and a disappointment i feel.

Was just on about it in his thread, but Simpson is an exception for me. He's deteriorated massively when he looked like he may develop into a good player. If someone put a fair bid in for him, i'd hope we cashed in and replaced him with someone better - which wouldn't be hard. Hopefully Santon will be at RB anyway, with a new LB coming in. Regardless.

Was just on about it in his thread, but Simpson is an exception for me. He's deteriorated massively when he looked like he may develop into a good player. If someone put a fair bid in for him, i'd hope we cashed in and replaced him with someone better - which wouldn't be hard. Hopefully Santon will be at RB anyway, with a new LB coming in. Regardless.

Yh me too, i wouldnt mind seeing a LB come in and Perch and Raylor back up..... Santon go to RB and Tavernier as back up and Perch and Raylor can back up here too.....

If Simpson were to be sold i wouldnt be worried about replacing him in the squad.

Santon can play both sides too as can Jonas ( although this would be last resort)

How much money do you think will be available? Is there room for you to increase your wage bill, or will you be using the money from ditching Smith, Lovenkrands et al to pay the new guys?

I don't think anybody can answer that. We're doing quite well financially, but I don't think there will be a massive transfer kitty this close season. We'll probably save a few million in wages from Smith's departure especially, and may get a few million from selling Forster and maybe Simpson. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see u make a profit on transfers again, especially if we sell one of our prized assets (Tiote, Krul, Ba). We seem to be all about value for money these days, which isn't a bad thing but can also mean that we are left with some gaping gaps in our squad if the right deal can't be made (see our centre back situation for proof of this).