Amazon not paying tax in the UK

Parky

Amazon.co.uk, Britain's biggest online retailer, generated sales of more than £3.3bn in the country last year but paid no corporation tax on any of the profits from that income – and is under investigation by the UK tax authorities.

Regulatory filings by parent company Amazon.com with the US securities and exchange commission (SEC) show the tax inquiry into the UK operation, which sells nearly one in four books sold in Britain, focuses on a period when ownership of the British business was transferred to a Luxembourg company.

The SEC filings, highlighted by Bookseller magazine, show that in the past three years, Amazon has generated sales of more than £7.6bn in the UK without attracting any corporation tax on the profits from those sales.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) refused to confirm it was investigating Amazon.co.uk, and its inquiries could be a routine audit. But Amazon's tax affairs are being investigated in the US, China, Germany, France, Japan and Luxembourg.

After the Vodaphone tax fiasco and the allround kicking the British workers are taking I find this kind of thing irritating at best.  :knuppel2:

Urgh. Use Amazon all the time but if this is true I'll start using them less and less. I'd rather pay a couple of quid more for my games and books if the place I'm using is paying tax. I do love the Amazon store though. They make it so easy to buy stuff.  :lol:

Guest neesy111

Once again that they need to go after the big boys, disgrace really.

India are doing that, reopening most tax cases for the last 50 years after another farce with Vodafone.

You'll see this happening in most countries across the world soon with many trying to repay back debts.

Btw, Amazon is being investigated in the US, France and few other countries about their tax dealings so this could be pretty major scandal coming out.

Guest neesy111

Urgh. Use Amazon all the time but if this is true I'll start using them less and less. I'd rather pay a couple of quid more for my games and books if the place I'm using is paying tax. I do love the Amazon store though. They make it so easy to buy stuff.  :lol:

Basically what I was thinking.

Guest Shaun

Punish yourself. That well show them!

Well if everyone did the same it would!

Nice logic there, save a few quid on a book. But pay more in vat, income tax and any other tax they can think to nail us with.

We are already being punished (sorta), why should any company not pay corporation tax be avoided.

Guest neesy111

Nice logic there, save a few quid on a book. But pay more in vat, income tax and any other tax they can think to nail us with.

We are already being punished (sorta), why should any company not pay corporation tax be avoided.

If I buy products / services then if that business is making a major profit then I expect that business to pay corporation tax.  Simple.

Can't understand if you're agreeing that Amazon should be avoided or if you're saying use them anyway?  :icon_scratch:

Guest neesy111

Buy a lot from them, all the time. I don't care if they pay taxes as long as I get my stuff cheap.

:facepalm:

I know it's inevitable in big business and they all have to max profits and whatnot but shit like this really fucks me off like. So many crafty, greedy cunts out there.

Guest neesy111

Not sure how Uk gov or EU can close these little loopholes the companies use to dodge tax.

Some sort of EU wide law with the same tax??? Would then not move an office to China or India???

The EU or UK could put a trade tariff on everyone of their products.  If Amazon didn't like it then they could piss off (which they really don't want to).

Can't understand if you're agreeing that Amazon should be avoided or if you're saying use them anyway?  :icon_scratch:

Should be avoided, along with any other company that pulls the same tricks. (if possible).

Buy a lot from them, all the time. I don't care if they pay taxes as long as I get my stuff cheap.

How old are you? 12?

20 but I'm in Ireland so them not paying Corporation tax in the UK doesn't effect me :razz:

Jeff Bezos just really hates taxes. Amazon does everything it can to avoid being required to collect sales taxes in most of the U.S. states. And those are taxed paid by the consumer, Amazon would just have to collect them. So I can imagine that he's not keen on paying taxes in foreign jurisdictions.