Blair poodle.

Parky

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/30/wusuk30.xml

"A senior American official has spoken of "the myth of the special relationship" between the United States and Britain, arguing that Tony Blair got "nothing, no payback" for supporting President George W Bush in Iraq.

Bush and Blair at the G8 summit at St Petersburg when their private conversation was overheard

Kendall Myers, a leading State Department adviser, suggested that Mr Blair should have been ditched by Labour but the party had lacked the "courage or audacity" to remove him."

As suspected all along. :roll:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/30/wusuk30.xml

"A senior American official has spoken of "the myth of the special relationship" between the United States and Britain, arguing that Tony Blair got "nothing, no payback" for supporting President George W Bush in Iraq.

Bush and Blair at the G8 summit at St Petersburg when their private conversation was overheard

Kendall Myers, a leading State Department adviser, suggested that Mr Blair should have been ditched by Labour but the party had lacked the "courage or audacity" to remove him."

As suspected all along. :roll:

I've always assumed Bush has some kind of leverage over Blair whether it's trade or whatever.  I just can't get my head round the special relationship being any sort of justification for the idiocy of the Iraq invasion.....

The only real advantage commonly quoted was that BAE defence systems was put on the American Govt official def procurement list. One of the only foreign companies allowed to bid in the huge 300billion official U.S. def budget.

The only real advantage commonly quoted was that BAE defence systems was put on the American Govt official def procurement list. One of the only foreign companies allowed to bid in the huge 300billion official U.S. def budget.

Well worth the billions of pounds spent on bringing 'freedom' to the downtrodden masses  :roll:.  There must be something else Parky.

"A State Department spokesman said: "The views expressed by Mr Myers in no way represent the views of the United States government." :obi:

Spot on in other words.

My impression is that the 'special relationship' has been a one way stretch since the end of the cold war.  Why the hell we persist with it is a mystery to me.....you can understand why our fellow Europeans view us as America's lapdog  :(

nah - its a LOT more complicated than that

Britain is effectively a dependency of the US in many respects - that brings benifits as well as difficulties

We are allowed access to all sorts of technologies and information that the rest of the world doesn't get,  we have direct input at all sorts of levels into US policy and decisions.  It is not unknown for the Brits to know what is being planned in the White House and the Senate not to  - and this, of course, a source of some power.  The US armed foreces often effectively collude with their British counterparts so that the Brits will raise or support a position they're having problems with internally

It's a historical thing - we sit like the Remora about 6 inches under the jaws of  a shark - brings benifits but...............................

Special relationship my arse

Harold Wilson refused to pay a blood price by sending troops to help our 'friends' out in vietnam and suffered a humiliating devaluation of the pound as a result.

Blair is probably motivated by a repeat of that - tho that didn't stop Bush slapping a 30% tariff on our steel as a thank you for our support in The War Against Terrorism (T.W.A.T.)

The recent selective banning of on-line gambling was also targetted to benefit them and not us

Kernts

Guest Invicta_Toon

Well worth the billions of pounds spent on bringing 'freedom' to the downtrodden masses  :roll:.  There must be something else Parky.

do you know how many jobs in this country are in the defence industry?

Yes.  Are you familiar with the term industrial/military complex?  Or the term vested interest?  Or the 100 or so years of history that have shaped our economy into its present dependence on military expenditure for growth?  And are you suggesting we should perpetrate wars to keep people in jobs?

:roll:  Sometimes I wonder about you Vic, I really do

Yes. Are you familiar with the term industrial/military complex? Or the term vested interest? Or the 100 or so years of history that have shaped our economy into its present dependence on military expenditure for growth? And are you suggesting we should perpetrate wars to keep people in jobs?

:roll: Sometimes I wonder about you Vic, I really do

Coming from anyone in the NE that's a bit rich -

"We flew past Armstrongs factory and up to the Robin Adair"

and they weren't making pins there

the whole place is based on arms of one sort or another

Yes. Are you familiar with the term industrial/military complex? Or the term vested interest? Or the 100 or so years of history that have shaped our economy into its present dependence on military expenditure for growth? And are you suggesting we should perpetrate wars to keep people in jobs?

:roll: Sometimes I wonder about you Vic, I really do

Coming from anyone in the NE that's a bit rich -

"We flew past Armstrongs factory and up to the Robin Adair"

and they weren't making pins there

the whole place is based on arms of one sort or another

I'm not in the NE though, so it's not rich at all.  And Vic's in Scotland  bluewink.gif