Stephan Hawking says we have to find another planet.

Parky

Link coming.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13293390/

"HONG KONG - The survival of the human race depends on its ability to find new homes elsewhere in the universe because there's an increasing risk that a disaster will destroy the Earth, world-renowned scientist Stephen Hawking said Tuesday.

The British astrophysicist told a news conference in Hong Kong that humans could have a permanent base on the moon in 20 years and a colony on Mars in the next 40 years.

"We won't find anywhere as nice as Earth unless we go to another star system," added Hawking........"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/space/article/0,,1799020,00.html

another bit...

http://www.hawking.org.uk/text/public/life.html

The moon seems to be the first candidate...Can't see it meself.

It's pretty evident we will have to move to a new planet, but I doubt it will happen anytime within the next 10,000 years.

Agree with that, bar the 10,000 years.  I reckon the process will begin a long time before that.  If only because we'll have to, the planet won't last that long, well, it won't last the way it is now, that long.  And we need it like it is now.  Mind you, us lot will still be dead.

Guest optimistic nit

I think its pretty evident that people are still labouring under the delusion that the human race will still be here in the distant future (tens of thousands of years) years on.

let me (a 17 year old with a B at GCSE in physics and no more) deconstruct this masterplan of steven hawkins (an astrophisocirst or some thing intelligent like that).

base on the moon in 20 years? space travel has become less and less favourable and nowerdays is mainly just seen as a waste of money getting people unneccicarially to the moon, and i can't see already established lunar powers wanting to waste more and more of their money air lifting 5 men to the moon so they can collect a few soil samples, shoot some home movies then bugger off again. Countries like china and europe (not a country but YKWIM) etc... will probably consider the man on the moon thing, not to further our knowladge, boundries etc.. but to show that they can do anything the yanks can do.

Also should the chinese or euro's decide to start a lunar colony once they get there they'll find out that all of the good land for agriculture (although to be honest, with no atmosphere, no soil, no nutrients and no orgainic compounds of any description, even the land on the moon that is favourable for agriculture, will be unlikely to be too productive) has already been reserved by fat americans.

colony on mars in 40 years? since no human has been on mars at all, and i see no plans for them to do so except the occasional rambling of george bush, and so far 40 years on from the lunar landing, it doesn't have so much as a wimpey, i can't really see this some how. 

space travel, is slowing down, only used these days as an election pawn "lets go send a man to mars, now watch this drive". more coperation could see the moons first wimpey, but to be honest i doubt it. quite frankley, there are better things to spend the money on, and america is very anti science and all its guises at the moment, although this may not streach to 'new science' as the secretary for the defence (ex) may put it.

also once the earth has been destroyed by this mythical foe that has mysteriously left the moon and mars unharmed (the moon, as it orbits the earth, would probably experiance at the least some very minor turbulence as the earth is blown to smithereens) i wounder how steven hawking plans to feed the colonies on the moon and mars? the moons not made of cheese you know, but does he? blueyes.gif

It'll be gradual, I believe the term is Terraforming.  No doubt will be done in generations, gradually shaping a planet (Mars) in to a more Earth like atmosphere.  The idea we'd head to Mars, build big glass domes and live in them is quite comical.  I mean, we would originally, but only at the beginning of this 'process'.

It wouldn't be a country thing, if you ask me, but a united effort from China, NASA and the ESA.  For humanity!

you make it sound like it is as simple as constructing a pipeline bluf blueyes.gif

Well, the concept is, Nit.  It's very simple.  I'm not denying all the work behind it, and the financing is another thing, but the idea is simple.  Make that planet our future home.

I only make it sound simple, because I don't have any in-depth knowledge of what I'm on about.  That said, this is what is going to happen.  Speak to anyone in this field, and they'll tell you this.

Guest optimistic nit

and this still doesn't answer how mars and the moon have a larger chance of survival than earth, where we find the trillions of quadrillions of pounds/euro's/dollars/yen needed to construct such a place,  what happens to the moon when its orbitee implodes, etc...

and this still doesn't answer how mars and the moon have a larger chance of survival than earth, where we find the trillions of quadrillions of pounds/euro's/dollars/yen needed to construct such a place,  what happens to the moon when its orbitee implodes, etc...

Whilst the earth burns, Mars won't as it's currently frozen.  Whilst we're burning, Mars will be at a nice heat, basically.  That's how it survives, pretty clear...*  Not sure what you're getting at, to be fair.

Like I said, finances are another thing, but one thing history has taught us is, if they powers that be want to do something, they will do it. 

*I haven't actually read the article(s), so I've no idea what you're on about with the Earth imploding.  I was always led to believe that we'd be leaving here 'cause it'll get far too hot to live here and life as we know it will gradually die with the heat rising.  Even if we 'beat' global warming, we will still get hotter and hotter as the sun expands.

I think the top priority is to eradicate nations and become Earth as opposed to seperate ideologies, although this utopian type of world will never happen.

Therefore, if so facto, we aren't going to be moving for a while, and if we do, it will be in an arms race type scenario.

Guest optimistic nit

you make it sound like it is as simple as constructing a pipeline bluf blueyes.gif

Well, the concept is, Nit.  It's very simple.  I'm not denying all the work behind it, and the financing is another thing, but the idea is simple.  Make that planet our future home.

I only make it sound simple, because I don't have any in-depth knowledge of what I'm on about.  That said, this is what is going to happen. Speak to anyone in this field, and they'll tell you this.

our atmosphere took billions of years to form. i'm not suggesting that this one will, but it will hardly be finished groundforce style will it. Once mars has an atmosphere (assuming that mars/ the moon is big enough to hold an atmosphere, which i don't think they are if there is such a thing of course, there may not be). Once we have an atmosphere what then? transport a few grasses over? how does the plant life and animal life that will be needed if the fantasy would actually happen adjust to this new atmosphere, and this new gravity, and this new distance from the sun, and this new temperature? Would take a lot of time for the geneticists to get a plant that could adapt to its new surroundings efficiently and some serious GM, which at the moment nobody trusts for some reason i'm not really sure why.

don't get me wrong i'm not one to knock down an idea like this just because it seems unlikely at the time, but 20/40 years is crazy, imo, and it seems like one of those schemes you think up when pissed. I'm not saying its inconcievable that it will happen, but i can't see it for a long long while, and then it will be totally dependant on the earth. Why not just build deep bunkers?

Guest optimistic nit

the sun expanding shouldn't happen for billions of years and then a) we won't be around and b) the mars will be in just as much trouble as the rest of them.

the sun expanding shouldn't happen for billions of years and then a) we won't be around and b) the mars will be in just as much trouble as the rest of them.

Hence the theory that we may need to expand into another galaxy, or at least another star system.

we'll be long gone before we get that technology to be fair blueyes.gif

Most definately, hopefully in a galaxy far, far away...or extinct.

Guest optimistic nit

we'll be long gone before we get that technology to be fair blueyes.gif

Most definately, hopefully in a galaxy far, far away...or extinct.

extinct blueyes.gif