Eintracht Frankfurt 0-0 Newcastle United - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

Taylor/Butt best players by a mile.

Ridiculously shit finishing prevented us getting a hammering. Cup competition though, and we're top. :thup:

Awful pitch didn't help either team, but I was disappointed by Roeder's lack of ambition playing 4-5-1.

:thup:

First-half diagnosis?

Lucky not to have concede two

Second-half diagnosis?

Lucky not to have conceded two

Full-time diagnosis?

Should have been 4-1

Star man for United?

Steven Taylor I guess

Worst United player?

Well... toss up between Luque and Charles.

Opposition comment?

And I thought we had bad finishers :lol:

Toon-pros?

Group leader.

Toon-cons?

Will get bent over and raped like a ho if we meet any good teams in the knockout stage

Post-match feelings?

Shouldn't have bothered staying up for this one.

I thought Bramble, Taylor, Butt, Emre, Solano and Milner all had a great game

Sibs and Martins didn't get a look in really, dunno how they missed their chances like, haha

Job Done!  :thup: :thup:  bluebiggrin.gif

:thup:

First-half diagnosis?

Meh

Second-half diagnosis?

Even more meh.

Full-time diagnosis?

A conservative/boring performance but against a team that could actually score we'd have been massacred. Another lucky day for Glenn Roeder in Europe.

Star man for United?

Solano/Taylor/Butt

Worst United player?

Everyone Else bar Sibierski

Opposition comment?

Wouldn't have scored if the game had gone on all week.

Toon-pros?

Nobby looking good at fullback again, Taylor looking solid, Nicky Butt in form. Sibierski still working hard.

Toon-cons?

Defence is disgraceful. Barely made a chance at all.

Post-match feelings?

Don't know how we've topped this group but :).

I thought Bramble, Taylor, Butt, Emre, Solano and Milner all had a great game

Sibs and Martins didn't get a look in really, dunno how they missed their chances like, haha

Job Done!  :thup: :thup:  bluebiggrin.gif

so, you think six of our ten outfield players were great and we were no better than this? blueconfused.gif

First-half diagnosis?

poor first half,playing 4-3-3 (or 4-5-1) watever that was,didnt work,both luque and milner never showed and sib was all alone,4-5-1 should be deleted from the newacastle data base :), changed to 4-4-2 last few min of the half worked,both luque and sibreski started to show more often,missed a good freekick

Second-half diagnosis?

better then the first,only one change by roeder,didnt like  bluebiggrin.gif,thought he should've given luque at least 10 more min,never theless martins made the impact with a nice cross,sib's header  was cleared off the line,but then we returned to playing the same as the first half..

Full-time diagnosis?

we got lucky,shouldve been at least 3-0 frankfurt,bad defending,and we didnt threat alot in the attack,and we are lucky to finish with a 0-0 draw..

Star man for United?

shay give-steven taylor,both worked well,both kept the clean sheet

Worst United player?

ramage,horrible,takahara made a monkey out of him everytime they met,he was our weakest link

Opposition comment?

they should get a striker..

Toon-pros?

zoggy,luque getting some confidence back,lady luck was with us again (take that souness,she just hated u..)

Toon-cons?

that moment when half of our team wanted to play on,the rest wanted to put the ball out

Post-match feelings?

"shay given is a left footer?"

got lucky today :)

I don't know how people put Taylor as star man. To me he is the worst central defender tonight. Bramble had an odd few error but he recovered well and those errors were generally harmless. Whereas Taylor, while having an odd few bright moments was poor generally. Poor positioning, slippery man marking. Thankfully Bramble was there to clear the mess.

First-half diagnosis?

Poor defense

Second-half diagnosis?

Poor defense

Full-time diagnosis?

Poor defense

Star man for United?

Solano, Milner, and perhaps Sib

Worst United player?

Luque, Ramage, Given

Opposition comment?

Better than I thought

Toon-pros?

Nothing really positive. Commitments perhaps !?

Toon-cons?

Poor defense

Post-match feelings?

Poor defense

That was an alright performance. We defended well for 75% of the game, but i lost count of how many times they got through. Absolutely abysmal finishing was the only thing that prevented us from getting mullered, and that's a bit of a worry in my opinion. We're going to come across better opponents.

But then you could argue - if we were playing a better team, we wouldn't have allowed them to get through, because we would have played a more advanced game.

Steven Taylor was man of the match by an absolute country mile. Butt and Nobby played well, but Taylor eclipses the both of them. Man mountain this evening.

Had we have played 4-4-2 and actually played against them, i thiunk we would have beaten that team, because they weren't very good. But i'll take a draw, of course. But if we play for a draw against a better team - even Vigo or Fenerbahce, they would beat us relatively comfortably. And that, and the fact that they had so many chances, is a slight concern.