Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

I think it's more circumstantial than that, the only player that has a spot nailed down, in my opinion, is Cabaye. I think the rest are all interchangeable depending on the opposition, I quite like this squad malarkey :lol:

Anita is like a tailor - he threads everything together. Him, Cabaye and Sissoko in the middle looks to be a well balanced midfield to me - as currently we don't have a real box-to-box who can drive us forward on the ball like Sissoko can and that makes the gap between midfield and attack quite glaring, especially when bringing it out from defence. Often the onus to do that falls on Tiote and he just ends up making mistakes.

They can all tackle and put a shift in too so you don't necessarily need a dedicated Tiote type destroyer in there for most games.

Has to start for me, will be great with Cabaye in the side.

Does not compete with Tioté for me, that would be Sissoko. Anita has completley different qualities from both of those.

Tiote is a defensive midfielder, Sissoko is not, it would be a real waste of his talents to play him as one too. Anita can play all over the midfield, but he's shone as a defensive midfielder above all else.

I do not particularly see Anita as a player who breaks up play and wins the battle. Sissoko has the physical presence to do that even if he isn't deployed in a ancorman role. Anita on the other hand is the most modern midfielder we have. His passing and movement is/will be vital for our game if we actually adapt a 4-3-3 permanentley. The way in which he links defence to midfield is such a vital part of building play, I reckon he will revel with Yanga-Mbiwa/Coloccini in behind him.

We could probably sacrifice Tioté who's more one-dimensional than any of the other CM's.

While I think it's a common misconception that defensive midfielders need to be particularly physical, look at Makelele for example, Anita's primary roles would be to harry, cover, help us keep possession and use his good passing range to help break teams down, hence why I suggested certain games. He was excellent as a defensive midfielder for Ajax, it was the form of his life, I see no reason why he couldn't replicate that here.

I think it's more circumstantial than that, the only player that has a spot nailed down, in my opinion, is Cabaye. I think the rest are all interchangeable depending on the opposition, I quite like this squad malarkey :lol:

Anita is like a tailor - he threads everything together. Him, Cabaye and Sissoko in the middle looks to be a well balanced midfield to me - as currently we don't have a real box-to-box who can drive us forward on the ball like Sissoko can and that makes the gap between midfield and attack quite glaring, especially when bringing it out from defence. Often the onus to do that falls on Tiote and he just ends up making mistakes.

They can all tackle and put a shift in too so you don't necessarily need a dedicated Tiote type destroyer in there for most games.

That is a good midfield, I agree with that, but when breaking a team down for instance, I'm not sure there's enough attacking ability there. That's where Marveaux enters the debate for me, he's the only true playmaker we have (bar HBA), as Cabaye's creative abilities come from a little deeper. Marveaux has lovely feet, he can create an extra bit of space for himself in close situations and is a sublime subtle passer, he will be massive in certain matches.

:thup: hardly anyone uses dedicate destroyers anymore anyway, we need to move with the times.

That is a good midfield, I agree with that, but when breaking a team down for instance, I'm not sure there's enough attacking ability there. That's where Marveaux enters the debate for me, he's the only true playmaker we have (bar HBA), as Cabaye's creative abilities come from a little deeper. Marveaux has lovely feet, he can create an extra bit of space for himself in close situations and is a sublime subtle passer, he will be massive in certain matches.

Yeah, definitely - if we're at home and trying to break a resolute side down then Marveaux gives us that extra bit of quality. Will be good to have a range of options for once.

Lovely having options isn't it?  :lol:

Hopefully Pardew uses the options afforded to him in a smart manner.

Guest Dontooner

Anita will definitely be in my starting 11 , If all fit that is, he could even play on the right if we needed to close the game. I highly doubt we will have all 4 midfielders fit all the time , so the balance and competition is great.

Anita is one of the few players we have that actually pass and move well with the ball.

It really annoys me to see Anita, after all those years of careful technical and tactical development at the Ajax academy and in the first team,  sent out by Alan Pardew with the sole purpose to run around like f***  :anguish:

It really annoys me to see Anita, after all those years of careful technical and tactical development at the Ajax academy and in the first team,  sent out by Alan Pardew with the sole purpose to run around like f***  :anguish:

I actually think his ability to "run around like f***" will be his greatest asset to the team. He isn't a transcendent passer and isn't physically strong enough to dominate like other DMs, yet when you combine decent all around skills with his effort and pace it comes to a good footballer.

Aye man he's got to be back in there ahead of Perch; can't understand it. If Pardew wants a more regimented defensive-midfielder alongside Cabaye, he can play that role. He doesn't have to be as box-to-box now Sissoko is in there. DM isn't his best role, but I bet he can do it better than Perch; much better footballer.

If Pardew intends on playing Gouffran, Cisse, Ben Arfa, Sissoko and Cabaye I can understand why Perch is the other midfielder.

If not then :dontknow:

Is a shame for Anita though, he looks class and should have played more recently. Still think he could actually play a wide role, he is quick and intelligent.

If Pardew intends on playing Gouffran, Cisse, Ben Arfa, Sissoko and Cabaye I can understand why Perch is the other midfielder.

If not then :dontknow:

Is a shame for Anita though, he looks class and should have played more recently. Still think he could actually play a wide role, he is quick and intelligent.

I can't there seems to be this thing going around that Anita is an attacking player, he's not he just played like that because thats how we used them due to lack of Cabaye etc etc and he's able to do so due to his pace and technical ability.

He's a DM and fantastic at it, i have seen him as a DM at Ajax he hardly goes beyond the half way line in fact he was very Busquets like.

Its time Pardew starts using him as one.

If we had a in form Tiote available then i'd sort of understand it but i fail to see what Perch offers.

Anita has made more tackles per game than Perch this season btw, which I found surprising.

I don't find it surprising, Anita is a better player and gets stuck in when he needs to.

Perch is considered as a 'tackler' though, isn't he?

Perch has made more interceptions per game than Anita, so it's swings and roundabouts as far as stats go.