Solano at Full back

Rob W

Looks very good indeed - I guess he'd have trouble with a really quick winger but his skill and experience really seems to anchor the defence

he is also good at talking to the others and when he does break out he is capable of serious attacking  and can PASS the ball, not just wellie it up field

If he moves permanently to full back he could play another 5 years I guess

Guest nufc_geordie

When we signed him in the first instance Solano was Peru national captain and was playing right back for both them and Boca Juniors. That was his natural position. We converted him to a right midfielder because of his skills and crossing ability. Now I think it is time in his career to move that step backwards again permanently and carry on playing full back. It is nice to see one of our back four with confidence and composure on the ball.

How long now before Solano himself tells the World he doesn't want to play at right back?

I think he's already done that, BUT, myself I'm being slowly converted. I'd like to see him perform in a Premiership game where he's put under pressure though.

I think he's done well there but last night he got caught out of position a couple of times, especially first half which led to situations in which they could have scored from back post headers. He's always likely to struggle in the air anyway but postion wise he lost the player too. Don't he got beat much by the winger he was marking though (if at all). His football brain makes up for his lack of pace. I wouldn't want to criticise too much anyway as I thought the whole of the back four struggled a bit and 'got away with it' last night.

roberto carlos is shit in the air - yet some people rate him as one of the best full backs.

solano isn't much worse than carr in the air - and his footballing brain is lightyears ahead of carr's, as is his passing

for me it is a no-brainer - he is our best current right back!

and i don't believe he has said anything about not wanting to play there!

roberto carlos is shit in the air - yet some people rate him as one of the best full backs.

solano isn't much worse than carr in the air - and his footballing brain is lightyears ahead of carr's, as is his passing

My point wasn't really about his ability in the air. More, he was caught out of position so that he couldn't even challenge for a header. It happened at least twice in the first half and could/should have resulted in oppostion goals both times. I rate him and I think he has done very well there. I just think the 0-0 score flattered his performance last night. That's all.

My point wasn't really about his ability in the air. More, he was caught out of position so that he couldn't even challenge for a header. It happened at least twice in the first half and could/should have resulted in oppostion goals both times. I rate him and I think he has done very well there. I just think the 0-0 score flattered his performance last night. That's all.

agree. He wasn't as good last night as he have been before, and i think that is because we were put under a lot more pressure than in the two other games we've played. I would even go as far as to say that he wasn't even "good" yesterday, just "ok"

thought he did ok, although he missed getting close to their player for a few crosses (same as Ramage), when they attacked down our right but i'll put some of that down to still going into 'midfielder-mode' and drifting infield.

I know he'd have his work cut out against a pacy classy winger, but then, who wouldn't - I can only really think of Ashley Cole who wouldn't/shouldn't.

Guest Magnetic North

what he gives us is decent distribution out of defence - something we haven't had since Woodgate left

The rest of them generally just belt it high up front

Best point so far IMO.