Haold'on the lads

plenum

In the late 80's there was a Newcastle United hat that said Ha'way the lads on the side. Is the proper wording Haway, Ha'way or Howay the lads. What does this word stem from and what does it mean?

Ignorance is bli

Guest Gemmill

Haway is the correct spelling based on the genesis of the word, which I have explained on here before.  I don't want to have to lecture you halfwits on this again.

Guest Gemmill

Cheers Gemmill. Is  haway a word or does it come from haddaway which means ???????

Ignorance is blitz  blueeek.gif

It's an abbreviation of the words "Half way".  "Ha'way."  It's something the miners would shout when they were sending things up and down the mine shaft.

Pearls before swine on here though, I'm afraid.  Someone will be along shortly to call me a mackem.  bluebigrazz.gif

Cheers Gemmill. Is  haway a word or does it come from haddaway which means ???????

It's an abbreviation of the words "Half way".  "Ha'way."  It's something the miners would shout when they were sending things up and down the mine shaft.

Pearls before swine on here though, I'm afraid.  Someone will be along shortly to call me a mackem.  bluebigrazz.gif

haddaway n shite.  bluebiggrin.gif  bluelaugh.gif

Guest Saint Andy

dooooorty mackam, doooorty monkey mackam!

Guest Gemmill

Why did Bluf change the title of this thread when it was clearly written like that for a reason?  This is what happens when you give non-Geordies the moderator jobs on here.  bluebigrazz.gif

rememer the first time i heard "howay". was on a school trip to durham and was playing football in the park and some kid shouted it. i was confused and needed to have it explained.

Guest Gemmill

:oops:

"Hold on there lads" indeed. :lol:  It's like when MTV in the US used to put subtitles up for Noel and Liam Gallagher.

"Hold on there lads" indeed. :lol:  It's like when MTV in the US used to put subtitles up for Noel and Liam Gallagher.

I had no idea what the fuck he was trying to say. :lol:

To be fair, it blatently doesn't make any sense.  Not even in Geordie.

Guest Geordie_Paul

I had no idea what the F*** he was trying to say. :lol:

To be fair, it blatently doesn't make any sense. Not even in Geordie.

I knew what he was trying to say like... i think he spelt it right but it's pronounced.. "Howld on"!