Charlie Brooker Black Mirror

This episode was the first one I didn't like, although the ending was compelling.

Quite a haunting episode, really. Brooker's mind is dark as f***!

Watched it earlier, extremely dark. I love the  fact you gave no idea what your gonna get from each episode.

I thought it set up an interesting moral quandary. 

You're presented with a woman who you're meant to sympathise with as she's chased, not knowing why and fearing for her life at every turn.

Then you discover that it's her sentence for her part in the torture and murder of a child.  A modern day Myra Hindley or Rose West.

Do you still sympathise with her?  She's being tortured day-in, day-out for her crime.  Is it disproportionate or ultimately justifiable as a far better deterrent than prison time?  Have a look at some newspaper or forum comments the next time the child-killer-du-jour is in the media, there are always people who believe that such a punishment wasn't severe enough. 

And to follow up on Indi's comment, I didn't think that her torment was necessarily being broadcast.  Recorded by visitors on phones certainly, but I don't remember seeing any TV cameras.  I thought it was effectively a theme park where people could come along and view her torment first hand with the same scenes playing out every day for public consumption.

The biggest complaint that I have with Charlie Brooker's writing is that he always seems to portray the public as consisting solely of the most reactionary, lowest-common-denominator members of the population.  I'm pretty certain that if that prison facility actually existed it would be picketed constantly by people who believed the punishment was totally disproportionate.

• 3 years later...

Just watched the first one of season 3. Not seen any of the others but thought it was very good.

Decided to start watching season 1 where the guys demand that the prime minister have sex on national televsion with a pig. My first thought was 'ha that's hillarious' until it occurred to me that this must have been broadcast way before piggate. How prophetic  :lol:

... unless this Ashcroft got the idea from?  ???

Yeah I enjoyed it, thought Bryce Dallas Howard was quality. Didn't entirely get the interaction at the end.

I wasn't expecting it to be set in America.

They were both in the same position, both freed from having to try to please everyone else to get ratings so could literally enjoy saying what they felt like even just for the sake of saying it.

Ep 2 of new series was a bit of a let down as well for me, better than the first though. Episode 3 however is top notch. I won't say anything imprtant about it but just all round cringey brilliance. A bit black comedy as well which is usually Black Mirror at it's best.

Guest firetotheworks

Episode 4 is off its tits. It's as near as you'll get to a modern day Twilight Zone. It's gone from being outstanding to all time classic with the budget upgrade like, it desperately needed this to get there imo.

Yeah I enjoyed it, thought Bryce Dallas Howard was quality. Didn't entirely get the interaction at the end.

I wasn't expecting it to be set in America.

They were both in the same position, both freed from having to try to please everyone else to get ratings so could literally enjoy saying what they felt like even just for the sake of saying it.

:thup: :thup:

Episode 4 is off its tits. It's as near as you'll get to a modern day Twilight Zone. It's gone from being outstanding to all time classic with the budget upgrade like, it desperately needed this to get there imo.

Just turned the TV off after episode 3 to hopefully get some sleep and you're tempting me to turn it back on. :lol:

E1 was a good, if slow, start. Better than E2 at least, which was a bit meh imo. E3 was good and I'm hoping from the above post this is where it picks up even more for the last three episodes.

Need to go back and re-watch from the first series after.

Guest firetotheworks

I think with the format the way that it is, you just have to take it on an episode to episode basis like, and it's all about whether the idea resonates with you personally.

Just finished this.

1. Good ep. Kinda dragged for a bit

2. This was probably my favorite one. It was actually pretty scary.

3. Good ep. Similar to the White Bear one. That kid was a great actor. Was the guy from Game of Thrones in this?

4. Probably my least favorite. Great production and acting, just wasn't really a fan of the romantic storyline. Does anyone know the story behind the guy that kept hitting on the main character and getting shot down? Felt bad for hin.

5. One of the best ones in the series. It was quite chilling.

6. Wish it wasn't as long as it was but I liked the twist. At times it felt like an episode of Law and Order. Annoying chick from Boardwalk Empire was the main character I believe.

15 Million Merrits will always be my favorite. Episode five had an ode to it when the army girl sang the song.